Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #1  

Unhappy Dealing with sickness after surgery

So I have this *awful* cold right now and I feel like utter crap. I am wanting to gulp water, I am wanting o.j., I am wanting chicken soup... Except I'm not supposed to do/ have ANY of those things (well, the soup isn't so bad, if I focus on chicken and little broth, no noodles)!

Right now, since I haven't actually had surgery yet, I can "cheat" a little and drink as much water as I want and have that chicken noodle soup (as long as I watch calories so I don't gain weight before my surgery). But what do you guys do AFTER surgery? Does it affect what cold medications you can take? What is your favorite way to feel better, what do you eat or drink or take?

~ Cat (feeling verrrrry icky)
MermaidInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:37 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

cat - you poor baby!!! hope you're feeling better SOON...

as for you main question - about the after surgery sickness... you can - and should - drink the water. you'll learn soon enough about how fast you can drink it. the juice would make you sicker, and you'll soon realize to avoid it. extra vitamin C should take care of you. chicken BROTH will also be an excellent choice. so will the chicken, BUT NOT TOGETHER! one of two things will happen if you eat them together: either the chicken will wash out of your system, or it will swell up and get stuck. depends on a number of factors, including how well you've chewed it.

medications usually aren't a problem, except for the first three months, when most of us aren't allowed to use aspirin or advil or motrin.

now, having said ALL THAT - i've only had two colds since the surgery, and i used to average 5-6. not sure why, but let's hope my luck continues!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #3  

I have a cold right now. I had weight loss surgery on July 20, 2005. I wish the cold would go away as fast as the weight! I am taking Tylenol Cold and Sinus. Like Jiffypop, I am getting sick less since the surgery; I used to get sinus infections constantly. I hear Airborne is a good product when you feel a cold is coming on, but I haven't tried it yet.

I visited your website...very cool. I am looking into getting into SCA, myself. I am an English teacher, and we are thinking about having a Medieval Day at our school in the spring. I have always been interested in that time period.

I hope you are feeling better!
Stevie Christine is offline   Reply With Quote