Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 AM   #1  

Unhappy Anyone have problems with RNY surgery?

I had my bypass surgery March 18, 2004 and it didn't go so well. When the last staple line was to be placed in the new pouch, the staple gun misfired and cut the pouch in half. Another surgeon had to be called in to the OR to help hand suture the rest of me. What is normally a 2 hour procedure turned into a 10 hour nightmare.

As a result, I am being fed through a gastric tube, and my drain is still in. I have a gastric leak from the new pouch that they are just "waiting" to seal on its own. I just had another upper GI done and the leak is the same size it was two weeks prior. They seem to have confidence that I'm getting better, but I'm not. I thought I was ready for anything, but having not taken anything by mouth since March 17, feeling nauseated all the time, and being fed Gatorade through a tube into my old stomach, well, I can't take much more.

Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so, how did you get through? While I have lost 54 pounds, and I'm grateful for that, I still don't think it's worth it. Please, if anyone has been through a similar problem, or even just had a leak like this, help me! I'm to the point that I can't cry anymore tears because I don't have much fluid left in me to make tears.

My starting weight was 390.5. My current weight as of Tuesday, April 27, is 336.7.

Mandy
mycatrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #2  

Mandy, I am not a surgery chick...but saw your post and just wanted to get a quick hello out to you. There are many wise and wonderful women here who will have some encouragement for you soon, so hang on.
I know we have one who had complications, she did great later and never had regrets.

sometimes this board is quiet, but I know you'll get responses soon! COme back and post and get to know these ladies, it'll help over the coming months.
Keep up your spirits, ok?
dottiejon

by the way, love your user name!

Last edited by dottie j; 05-03-2004 at 11:45 AM.
dottie j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:37 PM   #3  

Hi Mandy,
I had lap band surgery, so I'm not much help here. I just wanted to say hi, and that there are lots of people I've read about who have had problems they eventually overcame. Hopefully our resident chick who had a rotten time after surgery will post here. She came through with flying colors and is now too busy to post here!
Hang in there!
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #4  

I guess I should have introduced myself a bit more. I was very upet earlier. Sorry about that.

Anyhoo, my name is Mandy and I'm in Western Pennsylvania. I'm 28 years old and struggled most of my life with weight problems. The worst came in 2001 when I skyrocketed due to uncontrolled depression.

My depression has been treated and I was doing better in that arena until this surgery. My life has been turned upside down. My paid time off has run out and I haven't been able to work on my classes (I'm working towards a graduate degree in aviation management and safety). I can't sit at a computer for more than a few minutes at a time without suffering intolerable nausea.

I'm always nauseated, but it gets worse when I sit up. They said it was because of the tubes. Whatever. Anyway, to continue on, I'm owned by two cats, although my nick only refers to one. "Mycatrules" is easier to remember than "mycatsrule." Plus, when I first started using this nick, I only had one cat. The other really isn't mine anyway. She was dropped on my doorstep, I cared for her, she met my dad when I moved in with my parents, and has forgotten me ever since.

After bumming this morning, I called and demanded to speak to my surgeon again. He has scheduled me to come in on Thursday for another GI. I know I'll still be leaking because this drainage is not going to slow down by then. However, my mother, a nurse practitioner, is going with me this time, and my PCP, who is smarter than anyone I've ever met, is going to be a beep away if we need him. So, hopefully something will get done about this.

Now, I'm going to hush up because I'm getting really sick again. Plus, I can get pretty darn wordy as you can see. Thank you for the responses I've received. Glad to hear theres people out there that, while not suffering the same problems, care. Thank you so much!

Mandy
Old 05-04-2004, 12:30 AM   #5  

Mandy, I had my RNY in November, and I did not have any complications, so I am not of much help either except to comfort you, and tell you that we are all praying for you. This is why Weight loss surgery is not the easy way out! You seem to have a good team there. Go higher if you are still not comfortable with the answers. Ask for the chief surgeon, or chief of staff to get answers if you think you need to. Time may help the leak seal, but what happens after that? I'm sure you have ask youself those questions and many more.
My Prayers are with you.
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM   #6  

Hi Mandy,

I haven't had my surgery yet, but just wanted to give you a big (((HUG))). I can't relate even remotely to what you are going though. Hang in there I'm sure that it will get better eventually. I'm so sorry that you are having to go through all of this.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:13 AM   #7  
She who must be obeyed!

Hi Mandy, I'm the person to whom dottie and Chickadee refer to. I had a very, very rocky start but I am doing well now. If your interested, I will relate my story.......just let me know.

I just want to tell you that complications can and do happen, as you know. They are not fun. My best piece of advice to you is to keep pushing the doctor, don't let them put your concerns aside. With my complications I could not fight for myself, but my very supportive husband and a very dear friend who happens to be an RN were a team to be contended with.

I do know that there are certain types of leaks which do not require surgical repair, but exactly how long will they let you continue to leak??

I also want you to know that it took me quite a while to be glad that I had wls. The day did come and today.........I couldn't be happier.

Debbie
debkay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #8  

Thank you so much for your reply, dottie. I've had so many discouraging moments lately, but I finally got an answer, sort of. The doctor told me this is something that has to heal on its own, but since I wasn't taking in protein, it wasn't going to heal. So, he gave me a medication that will hopefully help the protein through the stomach. I also started on my vitamins. I'm getting Scooby Doo fizzies.

Last time I was at the doctor, I saw the PA. She was so affected by my depression that she put me in contact with another woman who had leaks like me. The lady is so nice and she has helped me cope. I still have really bad days, but I am also now having a few good days. It turns out the garbage mouth I've had is a yeast infection that runs clear to the pouch. My PCP put me on Diflucan, and it is starting to break up. I hope this time I'm on the road to recovery. Still draining, still getting discouraged, but I'm not crying daily, and I have someone I can call when the going gets tough. The lady had her leak for 12 weeks. I'm at 8 weeks now. But, hopefully I can heal faster. She said I'm leaking less at this point than she was at 8 weeks, so let's hope I don't leak as long.

Thank you all for listening to me whine. I really wish I would have found this site before my surgery. Not that it would have changed my mind. But, I would have more resources at my disposal. But, better late than never!

Mandy
Old 05-12-2004, 01:21 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

OMG mandy... you never mentioned the thrush you had!!!!

i'm amazed that you're coping as well as you have. and really. the diflucan will make a HUGE difference, and with that major infection gone [the yeast], the leak should heal much faster as well.

good news that you'll be getting more protein. and don't stop taking the vits!!! scooby doo fizzies???/ a liquid? or is it like alka seltzer??? inquiring minds [and pill wimps!!!!] want to know more!!!!!

honey... please don't stop posting. feel free to rant several times a day if you'd like. we will ALWAYS have our sympathetic ears on.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:42 PM   #10  

Hello Mandy

Hope today has been a good day for you.

I had my surgery in January and sailed through it so I don't have any practical information or ideas to offer...I can't imagine how you've coped with everything.

Glad that you found this site...keep in touch and hang on in there. You've been so courageous but you could use a break. Hope it comes soon...

Heather
heatherbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 07:02 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop
scooby doo fizzies???/ a liquid? or is it like alka seltzer??? inquiring minds [and pill wimps!!!!] want to know more!!!!!
Scooby doo fizzies are One-a-day vitamins for kids. You have to take 4 of them for an adult dose. But, you put them on your tongue and they fizz. Of course, I still have the gastrostomy tube, so my dad has to dissolve them and put them through the tube. But, they aren't half bad, I don't think. Better than pills.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #12  

Smile

mandy oh mandy.. as the song goes. I feel for you deeply with your problems. I am a nurse and i have seen many problems with the bi pass, but hang in there, you will feel better. it takes a while for sutures and staples to heal especially on skin that is tight with fat. I know i have been there and you will be ok. don't get depressed. look for a good future and it will brighten your spirits. talk to friends and don't keep to your self. i have found this forum and it is great. i am hoping to get lap band surgery soon. i am putting into my insurance now and they probably will reject it, the docter said. then we can appeal it. if not i have to pay for it myself. i weight 340. i hope to talk with other new lap banders soon. take care and never give up!
batman362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:03 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

nice to see you, batman... glad you've joined us. did you notice the sticky at the top of this forum for lapbanders???? there's lots of good info there - and a few smart -a&& comments...

enjoy!!

mandy... what's the update????
Old 06-05-2004, 06:05 PM   #14  

Default Update on me...

A little good news came my way this week. After 10.5 weeks, I got my stinky drain taken out. I am allowed an ounce of water an hour. Not much, but better than what I was getting.

Hopefully this Tuesday I'll get my g-tube out. It's been a long haul, and it's still going to be long. I'm not going to be able to eat as much as the usual RNY patient since my pouch was made smaller by the misfire. But, at least I can SWALLOW things!

I'll keep yall updated.

Mandy
Old 06-06-2004, 09:47 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

good grief. at least there's some REAL progress here!!!! i wish i could give you a real life hug...

chin up, mandy..