Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-21-2004, 07:27 PM   #1  

Unhappy If it can go wrong... VERY LONG

I just got home from being in the hospital since Saturday. Here is a quick chronology of my RNY to date.

1. June 24th surgery

2. Started out Lap procedure and ended up with a 14" open incision due to difficulties reaching. Also got "worked over" per surgeon's comments to get things done.

3. Went into withdrawals the night of surgery as the PCA was loaded with Demerol and I take Oxycodone for chronic pain. PCA at max was only 10% +/- of my normal base dose. LOUSY night in pain from front to back along with all the WD symptoms. Got it straightened out 26th.

4. Went home on Sunday 27th feeling good and ready to go. Liquid diet...

5. Got half the staples and both drains removed on the 30th. THAT is an experience with the drain removals!!!

6. July 6th had remaining staples removed and verified an abscess in part of the incision. Opened up roughly 4"wide x 5" deep portion of incision and drained, packed and headed for home. Repacking 2x daily and told go for it with soft diet. YIPPEE!

7. Roughly the 12th started getting nausea. Worsening over time. Can't figure out if I'm hungry, too full, sick or what. Amount I can eat and drink is getting less. Doc says discontinue protein shakes and chew very well.

8. Woke up Saturday 17th and couldn't even get water through and tossed water immediately after drinking. Dehydrated and feel like *&#! Doc is out of town but original assisting surgeon is on-call and admits me for fluids and tests. Weighed and am now at 40 pounds lost in 23 days. YIPPEE

9. First upper GI with barium showed hole to intestine is completely closed with no barium passing through. Again, what goes down then goes up.

10. First laproscopic GI scope shows large ulcer looking area in pouch and opening into intestine closed. Not even able to push the scope through.

11. Intensive gastric treatment and fluids... feeling better again.

12. Second upper GI with Barium now shows flow is good through pouch and opening is fine. New problem is a constricture roughly 3" below the junction where flow is greatly restricted in intestine.

13. Second Lap Scope of GI shows everything looks very good. : Pouch looks more like final healing instead of ulcer, opening is appropriate size and intestine shows no sign of problem. (Spasm???)

14. HOME...YIPPEE!!! Back on liquids for today and soft foods again tomorrow. Lots of new meds for antacid and pouch protection.

15. I AM WIPED OUT. For what it is worth, I know it will all work out in the end. Don't have any alternatives. I'm losing weight and that is the main thing. The rest will come but hey... how about a break?

Sorry this is so long but there you have it. I see my surgeon in a month unless I have more problems and the incision is healing finally. Probably will have to continue packing for a week or two.

Right now I think I'll take a snooze.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:05 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh babycakes... i've heard of several people who've had similar problems. with the right care [and it sounds like you're getting it] and with YOU paying attention to what's going on so that you can sound the alert, you'll be fine. not today, but you WILL get through this. the break will come... chin up!!!

[but you still have a long way to go to even APPROACH the problem queen of this board: debkay, who spent 12 weeks in ICU, about 9 of them in a coma. she hasn't been around much because she's TOO DARN BUSY having fun these days]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #3  
she who must be obeyed

Problem Queen checking in

So sorry to hear about your problems. If it makes you feel any better, like Jiff said, it will get better. Some of us just seem to have a rockie start, it's not fun, but it will end, and while you will not forget it, it will be a distant memory.

Glad to hear you are losing weight I actually gained 20 pounds during the first three months following my wls. My weight gain was from the very high calorie tube feedings they were giving me.

Take it easy, do what you need to get better and just keep saying to yourself, it is all worth it in the long run........and IT IS!!!

My life is so much better than before wls, actually I had a pretty good life before wls, now my health has caught up with my life. This past weekend my husband of 24 years surprised me with an anniversary trip to Savannah, GA. It was wonderful, I was able to walk all over that beautiful city and hardly break a sweat (I lie, it was GA, in July, hot and humid) but I did glisten (the southern woman's way of sweating) and I glistened in a much smaller body. My point, I now do all the things I could only dream about before.

Keep well
Debbie
debkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 PM   #4  

Thanks Debbie and Pookie. Debbie, after hearing of your difficulties, I am almost ashamed to even complain. I am happy you are doing so well.

Pookie, Sorry I wasn't very clear. Once they found the problem they pumped me full of IV meds that basically stopped ALL gastric acid production. Once that was stopped some of the swelling went down enabling additional meds to coat the pouch and upper GI with good healing stuff. (sorry no details of meds)

The restriction at the exit of the pouch was apparently all due to swelling from the ulcerated area. We have also changed my normal chronic pain med regime to reduce irritation as well.

I am feeling better today and am back on soft foods. Now I just need to get the protein back up there.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:23 PM   #5  

Wow debkey, that sounds like it was a really nice surprize! I can't wait to be able to walk more then a few minutes at a time.

P-38, glad you are feeling a little better today. What are you doing to get the protein? I have a friend who had this surgery 5 yrs ago, and has NEVER drank a protein shake! I couldn't believe that when she told me.

Is it normal to be so afraid of stretching out this new tummy??
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:56 PM   #6  
Hang In There

Yes P-38 the start is sometime rocky! My Dh ole Alvin did great the first couple of months, then he had an unusual problem and his pouch and incision came apart and had to be redone. The first time it was done lap but the second had to be open. Like you he also had infection in his incision and almost everything other problem you can mention, but now 2 years and 240 pounds later he is a different personl. Before his surgery he could not stand long enought to take a shower, and walking from room to room was a problem, now he's back to playing 18 holes of golf with out a bit of a problem. Just hang in there and remember that this too shall pass. We're pulling for you.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:17 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

P don't EVER think that you shouldn't complain about what you're going through because someone had a different pile of problems that you think are worse. it's ALL yucky to have these issues. one woman around here has had an open incision since her surgery in MARCH and it's only now just about healed. not to scare you, but these things DO happen.

but the important thing is that you're getting the right care... and you're feeling a bit better. hang in there!!!

and misty, yes.. it's ABSOLUTELY normal to be afraid of stretching out this tiny new tummy.. soooo take it slow and easy. as for your friend who never did the protein shakes, i wonder how much hair she lost and what her blood work was like for awhile. but she probably caught up...

as for YOU please don't go down that path... promise me???? by the way, meg's suggestion of that kool-aid sounding protein shake sounded good. can you find the nectar protein? i get mine at vitamin shoppe.... and i like them...

just another possibility
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #8  

Oh nooooo, I have NO intention of following her, thats not healthy at all! Thanks for the ideas for the protein drinks!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:10 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh boy, you ladies have gone thru some hairy P38 thats just aweful what you had to go thru, I'd be complaining as well.

Bye the Powers of 3FC's I command that you all will have smooth sailing from hence forth !!! ***~~**~~***~~**~~*** <--- sprinkling 3FC's fairy dust

Hugs to you all for your strength and courage.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 01:47 PM   #10  
she who must be obeyed

P-38........NEVER, EVER feel ashamed that you talk about your complications!! Your posting about your problems could very well help someone else. stepping off the soapbox

and yes, the trip to Savannah was wonderful and such a HUGE surprise! My hubby, while one of the good guys.......squeaks when he walks, squeezes a penny until it screams and any other thing you can equate with a cheap person. For him to plan this without prodding from me is truly AMAZING!!
debkay is offline   Reply With Quote