Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-29-2004, 02:33 PM   #1  

Default How can you tell?????

Ok... I am 50 years old, a professional, relatively bright and just realized something sad. I am having trouble figuring out if I am hungry? Naueated? Gaseous? Sore?

I am now 5 days post-op from an open RNY (started out lap) and I'm having trouble deciding which is which. Am I hungry and need to eat or full of gas and need som gas-x? Maybe I have already eaten too much and it is telling me knock it off? Could be I am just sore and unaccustomed to the uncomfortable feeling?

WHo knows? AND... how do you know?

Any wisdom out there? I need some guidence here.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

it's real strange, isn't it. for many of us, the first sign of hunger is that 'i'm gonna pass out from low blood sugar' dizziness. you won't really feel hungry for several months [if you're like most people, that is. some folks feel hungry sooner].

what are you 'eating' right now? are you getting your protein in? in the beginning, i found that i needed to get 15 grams of protein in about every 3 hours in order to get it all in and to avoid low blood sugar.

if you feel gassy, why are you that way? are you using a mixer to blend your shakes and blending ice into it? are you using a straw? both of these will add lots of air to your new tiny tummy.. and it can hurt. big time.

i found - and still do - that it's hard for me to talk and eat. i just swallow too much air.

it does indeed take some getting used to. talk to us some more.. tell us what you're doing... we'll help you figure it out. i promise. and don't judge what you're feeling.. this is a completely new territory. a wise woman i know compares this surgery to waking up one morning in beirut during the war. you've heard about it, read about it, and thought you were prepared, but nothing you've done to get ready is remotely like the reality.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:55 AM   #3  

Cool

Jiffypop... How appropriate. Sounds good to me.

I am really doing pretty well all things considered. The incision from having to switch to an open procedure is still sore but that is to be expected. I have my back pain back under control and that helps a LOT!

"Eating", lets see... hmmmm... My current diet consists of the following.
- Sugar/fat free yogurt
- Sugar/fat free jello
- Sugar/fat free pudding
(**** if I had only eaten like this befor... )
Chicken Noodle soup broth
Chicken Noodle soup blenderized
Carnation instant breakfast made with skim milk
Protein Whey Milk-Shake (YUCK)
Water
Crystal light drinks

I think that about covers it for now. Doc says to be sure an get at least 40 grams of protein each day for now. More later.

Lets see... Tums, Frintstone chewables, An Antacid, pain pills for back. That is it. I still have two drains in that will be removed tomorrow along with some of the staples.

I think the gas is more the "I am empty" blues from my intestins as they wake up with each "meal." Managable but a pain... Gas-X helps and was supplied by doc in my "started kit" he gave me. Definately the major rumbles.

No on the blender so far except the soup and the same on straws. Never did use those.

All in all, I am quite comfy and adjusting well. It is AMAZING how many food commercials there are on tv, ever notice that? I have a check up tomorrow to remove the drains and see if I am still alive. Till then, I am headed to bed.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and caring. I'll talk to you more tomorrow.

Last edited by P-38; 06-30-2004 at 12:57 AM.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

oh yes, P-38. i can see that you've entered the amazing world of LIQUID DIETS. i promise, it'll end. i've made notes on what you're eating below. my overall impression is that you're taking in a lot of milk-based products and carbs. many people come out of the surgery with lactose intolerance [i'm one of the very few people whose lactose intolerance actually disappeared after surgery!!!!] so these milk products may be causing the gas. in fact, that would be my first elimination as you go through this grand experiment trying to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

as for the carbs, as much as i loved it, yogurt made me dump. there are a couple of brands out there with less than 20 grams of carbs, but they're often hard to find. sooooo... that's my two cents. keep trying things... and let us know what's working and what's not working.

and i suspect that you're still alive. and you'll be fine.

- Sugar/fat free yogurt high in carbs
- Sugar/fat free jello OK
- Sugar/fat free pudding has milk. may have too many carbs or you may be lactose intolerant

Chicken Noodle soup broth chicken broth alone is fine
Chicken Noodle soup blenderized way too many carbs. could lead to dumping
Carnation instant breakfast made with skim milk lots of lactose in this combination, and lots of carbs. risk of dumping PLUS the added joy of lactose intolerance
Protein Whey Milk-Shake (YUCK) less lactose than in instant breakfast, but they CAN taste yucky. i added some SF/FF pudding powder, extra sweetener, and some unsweetened cocoa powder to make it more palatable. consider switching to something else
Water always a good choice, a boring one, but often the right one
Crystal light drinks a happy thing

and now, let's discuss the TUMS. i'm sure your doc suggested them in order to get the calcium??? but i have news for you... we don't have a whole lot of stomach acid any more. and we need stomach acid to absorb the calcium CARBONATE. most calcium supplements are based on calcium carbonate. we need to take calcium CITRATE, calcium PICOLINATE, or any of the other forms. in fact, just about ANYTHING EXCEPT the carbonate.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:31 PM   #5  

Hi P,
I really like the Unjury protein shakes. I know everyone has different tastes, but I like them far more than any of the others I've tried - much less YUCK factor. I think the Vanilla's good because you can flavor it any way you want. I also liked the unflavored because of it's versatility. Just my 2 cents! Look online at Unjury.com.

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #6  

Wow, is this what I have to look forward to? LOL--just teasing. I personally can't drink those thick shakes, its a texture thing with me, I have "Isopure" for when I get home from the hospital, its like drinking crystal light. Good luck to you P-38, hope you are feeling better soon!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:36 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

i like nectar proteins from syntrax, but not everyone does. lots of people like the isopure, but i always feel as if i've swallowed a jellyfish.

just keep trying!!!! and remember: don't buy from ANYPLACE that won't let you return something if you don't like it. there's nothing worse than being stuck with stacks of those big jugs of protein that you find gross and disgusting. they don't even make useful doorstops!!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:54 PM   #8  

swallowed a jellyfish?? lol what does that mean?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

scary, isn't it???? i just found that the isopure left a coating on my tongue.. a kind of slippery unpleasant slimy feeling. kind of like i , well, swallowed a jellyfish!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 04:30 AM   #10  

ewwwww, i'm glad it hasn't had that effect on me or I wouldn't know what protein drink to drink!

well its 4:30 am here, I managed to sleep a whole 2 1/2 hours, which is 2 1/2 hours more than i thought i would! have 1 more hour until I have to leave for the hospital, my nerves are getting worse with each passing minute!

talk to you all when I get home.......