Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-09-2004, 11:48 PM   #1  

Default insurance pays for bi-pass , no lap-band HELP

MY insurance company HAP( health alliance plan) will gladly give me a bi-pass they told me this morning. I don't want a bi-pass i stated i would like a Lap-band. No we don't cover those they stated. Why I asked? Because we don't. Even if they are half the price and work,they don't give as good of rerults., the lady stated. I gave her all of my reasons why I wanted a lap- band and not so invasive a surgery as a bi-pass, but it didn't make a difference. Insurance companys,at least this one, think that the obese are too stupid to choose a plan that suits them. THERE ARE FIVE DIFFERENT WAYS TO GET POSTRATE SURGERY, YOU GET TO CHOOSE, but if you are obese you arn't smart enough or informed enough to make your own decisions. It was also hinted that the obese don't have enough will power to stay on a restricted diet with the lap-band and that the bi-pass forces us into a starvsation mode and you can't fail. Both surgerys have people who arn't willing to follow the program. This insurance co is nuts. I have to write an apeal to their denial decision. Every other insurance co in Mich is paying for this surgery except mine. i'm stuck with it. with all my problems none will take me. i would like to get the American Civil Liberties lawyers to help me. Any one know what I should write in an apeal?
Bats
batman362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:46 AM   #2  
Lap-Bander

Do a web search for Walter Lindstrom. It won't let me post a link for you here, so you'll have to search for it. It sounds like your insurance company is using the "experimental" excuse. Walter Lindstrom has overturned many such decisions before. Good luck!
scarletini is offline   Reply With Quote