Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-21-2004, 03:05 PM   #1  

Default I made it

Well I had surgery on Thursday and came home on Saturday. It's going well, I can only drink warm liquids though, but am getting in 42 grams of protein for brakfast and then trying to get in the rest of the fluids. I have had no problem with protein drinks as long as they are made with warm water. I am having alot of gas from the surgey, it's painful, hope it passes soon, won't go into details but it's like setting off explosives, lol. I had lap they said it was a record time 60 mins, I'm thankful for all the pre-op requirements, it makes a difference. I have 5 small incisions around 1/2 inch, 8 staples total.
Hugs
Karen
smtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:02 PM   #2  

So glad to hear that things went well We were all wondering Happy to hear that it was so fast, and that you are able to keep things down You were and still are in all of our thoughts
shayshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:14 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

oh karen.. so glad you've posted!!!! and you're doing so well. some folks do better with cold than with warm, but what's important is that you're finding out what works for YOU. that's the key to all of this..

yippeeee yahooOOoooOOOoooOOOOOOOO

did anyone tell you that we can't absorb more than about 20-25 grams of protein at once??? sooo although it looks great on paper to have 42 grams at breakfast, there's a good chance that not all of it is being absorbed
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:33 PM   #4  

Jiffypop- my doctor said he doesn't believe that and in my paper work it said 2 scoops of pro complex of 55 grams for 1 meal a day. I have heard that also, even if I don't absorb it all , it's okay it's staying down. For some reason my baby pouch likes it warm. I don't mind, it's soothing. Today I had a sf fudge bar and jello Cold and no problen, tried water again, pain and gas so back to the tea.
Hugs
Karen
Old 03-21-2004, 11:15 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

just go with it, karen!!!! i'm so glad you're doing so well!!!!

why doesn't your doc believe in that? could you ask him? inquiring minds want to know... and i'm not saying this meanly or anything... i've heard this from several sources, and it sounds like there's a debate....

and we'd ALL like to know why there's such a difference, and more important, WHO HAS THE RIGHT INFO!!! for heavens sake... our lives are at stake here... and i'm gonna be plenty mad if the folks who have been telling us to limit the protein have been wrong, and they're gonna hear about it. and depending on how PO'D i am at any given moment, ..it'll be polite or it'll be obnoxious...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #6  

Jiff- The dietician also said that she has had no documentation to prove otherwise. SO we were told to drink at least 1 pro-complex 55 grams and try to eat the rest for protein. We are to try to get in 75-80grams of protein daily
take a mega vitamin, and 1500 mgs of calcium citrate, but I need to take 2000 mg of calcium to to the hysterectomy. I go on March 30 to get my staples out so I will ask then
Hugs
Karen
Old 03-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #7  

Hi Karen,
I'm so glad you posted. Congratulations on making the decision, doing what it takes to get there and ultimately being on the other side. Take care of yourself!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #8  

smalltown, Glad to hear your doing well. Take it slow, enjoy the time to relax and sit back to watch. Take it slow and easy, you did just have major surgery!
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:46 AM   #9  
Hang In There

Karen, glad it's over and you are doing well.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:26 PM   #10  

Jiffypop,shayshay,chickadee,ditzyblonde and ageoldie, thanks for all the well wishes, it means alot to me To day is going well, I do need to slow down though, I drove my truck today, not on pain meds anymore, a short run. The doc will have a cow. Haven't gotten sick although I can't do any cold liquids. Thanks for all the support.
Hugs
Karen
Old 03-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #11  

It's funny,well maybe not, I feel great as of Monday. I want to go back to work, I must be nuts. I know I need to take it easy and I remember when I had my gallbladder out, I over did it on day about a week out, ended up sleeping for 3 days. I don't feel tired at all having trouble sleeping to. I feel so energized. Someone told me I'll feel great this week and next week it will hit me, I will try to slow down. Has anyone had trouble with cold liquids, in the begining,I just can't do them. PAIN, UGH. Today I did a mile, did't walk at all yesterday, but I'm down 3# since yesterday. I will be glad when I can eat though, although I'm not hungry I'm trying to do at least 1 creamed soup and the rest protein drinks and tea, and warm water, so far so good.
Hugs
Karen

Last edited by smtown; 03-24-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #12  

Karen, I am so glad that your surgery went well!!!! You seem to be speeding along!!!! WTG!!!

Love LOVE LOVE hearing that your doc says that you can have more protein in one serving. I have trouble getting all of mine in and you just saved me!!!!

As to the cold drinks....I couldn't tolerate them in the beginning either. They made my new tiny little pouch seize up something awful!!!!

So good that you are doing so well!

peach
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:10 PM   #13  

Congratulations smtown! Glad you are doing well! Makes me feel a little less nervous....
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #14  

Peach pit- It sounds weird but the warm protein isn't bad, it's like warm cocoa. Today I did a bottle of water that was cool and it went down good so maybe my tummy likes it now, I'm still going to be causious.

mistyseas- Thanks, I was nervous and still am but I do feel so much better that I thought I would be after wls. Where are you in this journey?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #15  

Hmmmmmm......good question!

I have had all my tests and seen all the doctors they require before surgery, except for a few follow up appointments I have scheduled for next month. 1 is for my endo, they found that I have a small hernia and acid reflux. The other is with my pulmonologist to discuss how I am doing with my bipap machine for my apnea. My surgeon also mentioned the dentist, which I am curious about. I guess my only hold up for scheduling a surgery date is the fact that they want me to lose weight for the surgery. I am on Atkins, and I am not sure how much I have lost so far, if anything. I am going to call on Monday and make an appointment to get weighed in to see where I am at. Other than that, I started this journey for surgery in August last year. I was hoping to have it done by Christmas, but now I am hoping for summer!

Why are you still nervous? It seems like you are doing so well!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote