Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 08:48 AM   #1  

Default Let the questions begin :)

I went to my primary care Dr. yesterday for a pre op physical. She thought it was odd that I was there so soon and getting the chest x ray, ekg, and blood work so far from surgery date.

How far in advance did you have all your tests done before your date?

I go see my surgeon a week before I have the surgery but I don't know if she's doing open or lap. Is it true that there is more pain with surgery being done open?

I really don't know what foods I can and can't eat but I'm hoping with the appointment before surgery she'll be telling me.

I was sitting in the Dr's office yesterday, wondering if I'm nuts for doing this. I hate going to the hospital, the only time I have been was when I was having my c sections for my 3 children and I would get nervous too not wanting to have surgery done, but at least with being pregnant I wanted my body back so bad because I was ready for that baby to be out
Old 09-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #2  

I had my pre op testing done 2 weeks prior to surgery. Does your doctor have a support group? I find it a little odd that you don't know what type of surgery your having or the foods your supposed to eat after surgery. I know with my group we were on liquids for 2 weeks, then a soft diet for 2 weeks and then we could start to add other foods after that for 2 weeks and then it was a regular diet (no sugar, low fat, low carb, high protein) as long as it wasn't more then 400 calories per day for the next 3 months and then we can up our calories to 600 per day. The surgery for me (which I had an open RNY on June 10th) was pretty much like having my C Section. I had a really great recovery and really not much pain to speak of. The first couple days after surgery hurt, walking hurt and took a lot of effort but it was all worth it. When you see your surgeon make sure you write your questions down before hand.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:12 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

purple darlin. may i suggest that you call your surgeon NOW and ask what kind of support group she has? what kind of clearances did you need to have for the surgery? most of us have had, at the minimum, psych and cardio clearances, and we've ALL had at least one preop meeting with a dietician.

have you even met this surgeon? how did you find her? we're confused...

but to answer your most direct question, my preop was done a week before.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:06 AM   #4  

My pre op was done 10 days before surgery. I knew I was going in for a lap RNY and had approved to go open only if deemed necessary. This was alll discussed prior to me booking the surgery. I did not meet with a diatition before as the Dr does not have one on staff. I have a manual that I follow provided by the Dr and a support group with the Dr and of course all of you.
Grammy
Old 09-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #5  

I know they do have a support group but I was in a battle with the insurance company and when they FINALLY said yes they scheduled me in and told me to see my pcp. So I haven't been to one yet.

I did call and was told to wait a week before surgery to have my tests done.

Oh yea, what about the B12 supplement? do they give it to you in pill or shot? Mine wants me to come in every month to get the shot. I HATE shots and I really hope that I can talk her into letting me take the pill. She has me taking the bariatric supplement chewables so I can get used to taking them. She also gave me the protein to also take. Which I've been doing for years anyhow so that is no problem.

Has anyone ever taken the atkin's shakes?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:41 AM   #6  

We were told in our support group that the Atkins shakes have to much fat in them. I've stuck with the Designer Whey Chocolate. I use two scoops and its 35 grams of protein. I've never heard of bariatric supplement chewables but would be very interested in finding out where to get them. I take the Centrum Chewables and Caltraite with Mag and Vit D.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:49 AM   #7  

http://bariatricadvantage.com/

this is the website I found them at. I buy them from my Dr.

I may even give them to my oldest daughter, I can't get that girl to swallow pills only of course if her Dr. says she can have them
Old 09-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #8  

Thank you! I'll check out the website
Old 09-24-2003, 02:33 PM   #9  

We were told in our support group that the Atkins shakes have to much fat in them.

And Atkins is what my husbands surgeon and dietician told him to take - due to the higher fiber? And when you can eat, they also suggested the Akin Bars? As you will find on this board, boy are you all told different things!

I was wondering does any other "regulars" find that both confusing and a little worry some? You would think by this point there would be some sort of standard that everyone was to follow? I can see it changing for the individual but it is SO different from one doctor to another.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:18 PM   #10  

I'll have to ask what my Dr thinks about Atkin's shakes but if I am able to drink them then it won't be a problem. I drink them so I can get enough protein in my system.

So what's the scoop with veggies? are there some we will have to stay away from?
Old 09-24-2003, 09:35 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

there are no guidelines adn that's a major problem. and it's really hard to go against someone else's doctor's advice. i know some folks who use the atkins shakes with no problem and others who dump on them. they don't have enough protein for me. and they tasted tinny.

the people i kjnow who use the atkins generally had lower protein goals than i did. they needed only about 50-60 grams and i needed 100. but the kicker is that we can absorb onlky about 20-25 grams of protein at a time, so taking in 40-50 grams at a time is only a waste.

as for the protein bars, most of the docs i know say to stay away from them for 6 monhts, and then use them only for emergencies. they want us to get protein from real food. because it has actual other nutrients as well.

as for veggies, you don't have to worry about them for awhile. it'll be enough of a struggle to get your protein in. but when you start, w ewere told soft cooked and peeled and mashed. peachie's doc told her to start with salad, but i don't recojmmend spinach salad for awhile.

watch the carbs in the veggies. things like sweet potatoes are great for the vitaminsk but they have lots of carbs and some people may dump on them.

after 18 months now, i'll eat just about any veggie. but not lima beans,. they're still not a food source IMO
Old 09-25-2003, 07:52 AM   #12  

Jiffy,
You must have read my mind because I was thinking about sweet potatoes . I had a feeling some might have a problem with them.

As far as atkins bars I haven't found one that I like yet and when you described how you thought the shakes tasted, I had to giggle because I've thought they tasted tinny also.
Closed Thread