Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default 5 days out

I'm 5 days post op, and so far so good! I'm still in some minor pain/discomfort of course, but I feel great about this decision, and am looking forward to this journey.

So far, my pouch has tolerated everything I've eaten/drank. Today was the first day I could add protein shakes into my diet, and I was worried about those not going down well, but I'm having no issues.

Aiming to get in my 90g of protein today for the first time. I got in 42 oz. of water the last two days, so I need to try to up that a little more, but not too bad of a start! Yesterday was my first full day at home, so I'm getting used to my pill regimen.

All the reading I did before the surgery to prepare myself, a lot of people had "buyer's remorse" for the first couple of weeks, but I'm honestly not feeling that way.

I weighed in this morning, and I'm down 4.6 lbs for the week. A long road ahead of me, but I am so looking forward to heading down it!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #2  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

I'm glad to hear you're doing good after the surgery! I was wondering how it was going for you.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #3  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well! Keep up the good work!

My "buyer's remorse" set in around 10 days out and lasted for about a week. I hope you don't experience it, but IF you do know that it's totally normal and we're all here for you!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Well, after posting that super positive post, I ended up in the E.R. I was having chest pain, so off I went. I was there for TEN HOURS. Blech.

They ran on EKG, had me set up to a heart monitor, and did a CT of my chest, along with a ton of blood work. They were checking for heart issues, blood clotting and pneumonia. They were able to rule ALL of that out!

However, my white blood cell count was elevated, so they contacted the on call doctor at my surgeon's office, and since I was only 5 days post op, they wanted a CT of my belly to make sure there were no issues internally with my incisions or anything like that.

My belly CT came back wonderfully. No issues at all.

I have a little bit of fluid around my heart, but they said that will dissipate over the next few days. I also have gallstones, but they said those are also not anything to worry about currently. My surgeon said he'd only take my gallbladder out at the same time as doing my roux en y, if it looked necessary. Right now, it's not, but in the future, I believe it will come out.

One of my main issues was dehydration. Making sure that doesn't happen again! Got 90 grams of protein in today, and 100 oz. of fluid!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

GO KAYLEY!!!! you did the right thing by going to the ER. Chest pain in anyone who's had ANY kind of surgery can be serious business. glad you've gotten an all-clear on many of the important issues, so it'll be interesting to hear what happens on your next appointment.

The surgeon didn't take my gallbladder when he did my bypass, but also said it would have to come out at some point, and 12 years later, it did!

KEEP UP WITH THE WATER. and protein. you're doing great.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote