Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/239/134

Height: 5'5''

Exclamation Almost Surgery Time!! But I'm starting to struggle & need advice!!

After months of waiting it is almost finally time for my WLS!! I have my pre-op this week!

I found out that WLS was an option for me back in December and when I did, I immediately started trying to eat healthier (and exercise :-/) I have lost about 30lbs and I surprisingly wasn't really struggling that much. I did, and still do, have trouble planning my meals ahead of time and getting in my 5-6 meals a day. But I'm pretty pleased with how far I've come.

However, for the past few weeks I have been craving (and a lot of times eating ) foods that aren't healthy for me. I don't understand why this close to surgery that I am wanting to eat the way I used to.

I have had more stress than usual, but I know that's not an excuse to eat unhealthy. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?? I really, really want to succeed in my surgery and meet my weight loss goals!! I don't want my old habits to come back! I'm trying to do better, but it really is a struggle lately and I don't know why.....

Is it pre-surgery jitters or something???

I will gladly take any advice or recommendations y'all may have!!!!
[/FONT]
ashleynm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

MANY MANY people have the 'last meal' syndrome going on. On some level, they've convinced themselves that they'll never get to eat <fill in the blank> ever again, and they go overboard.

I promise you: you will get everything back that you love. I PROMISE. it won't be for awhile, like a year or more, but YOU WILL BE ABLE TO HAVE SOME. and i do mean SOME, not a lot, but a little, and you'll be satisfied with it. I just had two cookies. just two. not two packages. just one for each hand, and i'm happy.

So, in many respects, it IS pre-surgery jitters, but this can also be followed by the infamous head hunger after surgery. you know, you WANT to eat, but you're not hungry and you just want something in your mouth. It's not easy. believe me. This is where delay, substitution, recognizing that you may be thirsty and not hungry, and distracting yourself may come in handy. this is the sort of habit you must break in order to deal with the surgery.

and just a reminder, the first three months SUCK. [i wonder if that'll be bleeped out]. they're very difficult. Just take it one day at a time - one eating event at a time - and don't get hung up on whether this discomfort will last forever. Another promise. I PROMISE YOU those three months will end, and things will get better.

what's your surgery date? week after next? i KNOW you can do this, love
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #3  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi Ashley,

I want to congratulate you on how far you have come. I cannot comment on your situation, as I had a different experience. It sounds like you have a lot of awareness and willingness. Both bode well for a successful surgery experience.

Best,

Dee
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/239/134

Height: 5'5''

Thank you @Dee, and congrats on your 200lbs+ weight loss! That is amazing!!!!

Thanks for all your info@Jiffypop. You're so much help on here
I do not have a date yet but I will get one Thursday when I go see my surgeon!! My PCM said that it will probably be sometime next month. I'm so excited .

I also wanted to ask you, I know that the first 3 months are the hardest; but I also wanted to know what it's like immediately after surgery..? I know everyone heals differently; but how long does it typically take to heal? I think my surgeon told me I would probably be in the hospital for about 3 days, and since I am having to go 6hrs away for the surgery, my surgeon wants me to stay there at a hotel agter being released and then come back for a 1 wk check up...

We will be driving back home and I was wondering what it was like for y'all when you got home? How long did you have to wait before being able to get around and get stuff done? How long was it before you were able to go back to work?? AND what was your experience going back to work....???
ashleynm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

your surgeon is wise to keep you for a couple extra days given your 6 hour drive home! be prepared to take breaks! you'll need to move around. and make sure he gives you a couple of pain pills - you'll probably be grateful for them on the ride.

now, about getting around. you'll be able to shuffle around and do little stuff [make some jello or tea, talk to people, and so on] as soon as you get home. LISTEN TO YOUR SURGEON - he'll probably tell you that you can't lift a toddler [just warning you!] for a week or so, and bending over as well. Some docs will tell you not to drive for a week.

The laundry will have to wait a little while [days, not weeks].

But after that first week's checkup, you'll probably be cleared to do just about anything that you feel like. And you might not feel up to doing much, but you'll have to see.

As for going back to work and all. It depends. I was very ill in the months before surgery, so the surgeon was very cautious with me - 8 weeks. Most people are cleared to go back to work at 4-6 weeks. There are even people who are back to work within a week [part time, with desk jobs]. Depends on the kind of work you do, the amount of lifting and moving, and how you're feeling and healing.

Have a nice heart-to-heart with your surgeon when you see him this week - and let us know what he says.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

one more thing - many people sleep in a recliner for a few days, or a week or so.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I just had surgery on Tuesday... so healing right after surgery is all I have to share.

I stayed overnight in the hospital. Surgery was at 12:15 on Tuesday, I left at like 6pm on Wednesday. I was able to walk around in the hospital (walking felt really good) and kept down water and protein drink on Wednesday.

I only had an hour long drive but it was a little rough. Bring a pillow with you for the car. It helps to be able to brace it against your stomach during bumps. My doctor was able to give me a pain shot and a nausea reliever right before I left, which helps minimize the pain during the drive home.

So, I'm on day three and I can get up and move. I showered yesterday, which wasnt an issue. Twisting or bending is rough. Walking, standing, getting water or whatever is easier than I thought. I can get light stuff done, but nothing major and nothing that requires bending over repeatedly.

As for work, at this point, I don't think I could. You're really tired afterwards and my ability to really think coherently is a little weak. My mom had surgery a while back and took three full weeks off before she could go back to her (desk) job.

I'm also sleeping (ok, pretty much living...) in my oversized chair. Sitting propped up helps; plus, you don't want to roll onto your stomach, so if you have big chair, it helps keep you from rolling in your sleep.

I think a lot of it depends on how you're feeling and trusting your body.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 309/194/145

I was one of those that did the last meal not to a real bad extreme though. It was bread and rice meal. I was worried about sugar after surgery. I just limit how much I take in.

I love jiffy mentioning two cookies. I eat cookies to. My husband makes delicious cookies. He actually adds protein powder to them now so I can get that extra protein. I only have about 2 like jiffy.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
SnowAngel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 111kg

Height: 1.64

Default I am having a gastric bypass tomorrow and am so grateful for this answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
MANY MANY people have the 'last meal' syndrome going on. On some level, they've convinced themselves that they'll never get to eat <fill in the blank> ever again, and they go overboard.

I promise you: you will get everything back that you love. I PROMISE. it won't be for awhile, like a year or more, but YOU WILL BE ABLE TO HAVE SOME. and i do mean SOME, not a lot, but a little, and you'll be satisfied with it. I just had two cookies. just two. not two packages. just one for each hand, and i'm happy.

So, in many respects, it IS pre-surgery jitters, but this can also be followed by the infamous head hunger after surgery. you know, you WANT to eat, but you're not hungry and you just want something in your mouth. It's not easy. believe me. This is where delay, substitution, recognizing that you may be thirsty and not hungry, and distracting yourself may come in handy. this is the sort of habit you must break in order to deal with the surgery.

and just a reminder, the first three months SUCK. [i wonder if that'll be bleeped out]. they're very difficult. Just take it one day at a time - one eating event at a time - and don't get hung up on whether this discomfort will last forever. Another promise. I PROMISE YOU those three months will end, and things will get better.

what's your surgery date? week after next? i KNOW you can do this, love
Thanks so much for this really helpful reply! I am having all those questions on the eve of my operation and it has been very comforting
lulubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

is your surgery tomorrow Lulubelle? i wish you the best. Is your knitting/crocheting ready? gotta tell you that knitting got me through all the emotional eating temptations and the stress afterwards.

which procedure are you having done?