Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:07 AM   #1  
One day at a time. :)

S/C/G: 254/248/165

Height: 5'9"

Question Bariatric Treatment Centers?

Did you start there or did most of you go through an independant doctor?

Just wondering.

Also, from first appointment until surgery, how long did it take?

Tiff
Old 05-18-2003, 04:34 PM   #2  

Hi Tiff,
I certainly had the support of my primary doctor. Depending on your insurance type you might need your primary dr.s help to get your 5 year weight history.
In my case, after trying to find a local surgeon to work with and nothing going right. I ended up getting on the internet and looking up the bariatic centers jotting a couple numbers down and by the end of that afternoon, I had an appt. set in Groveport, Ohio. My first appointment was actually the next day, April 15th, they had a cancellation (so i was very lucky there). The appt went well. I had all my weight history done, letters from two dr. stating that they supported this surgery.... ohh yeah the famous..... name the diets you have tried in your life... what year... how long you were on them and did the weight stay off or did u regain it. I about laughed outloud.... heck if i had kept track of all that.... I mean really....who would have ever thought you'd be asked that!!! I can't remember what happened last week!! LOL
Anyways, i had to get a sleep test done, and a ekg and since groveport is a 3 hour drive, i had these done locally. I just had the sleep test done this past week. And i do have apena. I am know waiting for the test to be read and so i can get on the machine. Then i have to be on the machine 6 weeks before i can surgury. (so if u think you have or might have sleep apena.... i'd say talk to you primary dr. and get it done as soon as possible!
There was a bit of a mix up with my insurance, so the 3 weeks or so i thought i was waiting for approval it wasn't even started yet. So now it's just waiting... till i get my machine and insurance ok.... then to get scheduled. I am guessing my surgery will be sometime in Aug. (my surgeon is on vacation last 2 weeks of july)
I had hoped it would be sooner. But I suppose this waiting period helps us to do alot of research and be prepared for what we are going to go though. It sure isn't gonna be a picnic. But I am so looking forward to a new chance of living !!
My best to you as you start your adventure ! If I can be of any help, please ask !! Haven't been there YET.... but I daily read about it, and feel pretty well informed !!
Cindy
Old 05-19-2003, 09:50 AM   #3  

Default BTC

Hi Tiffany. I live in Illinois, too. I have BC/BS PPO and went through my own doctor, who recommended an independant surgeon. I had to wait about 3 weeks for an appointment. I had the surgery performed about 2 months after the initial visit. From what I've read, that's pretty quick.

Good luck to you on this adventure!
Lorrie
Old 05-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #4  

Hi Tiffany!

I brought up the prospect of WLS with my PCP at my appointment in April; he thought it was an excellent idea and gave me a name of a WLS physician that their practice have had good experience with; and judging from both his recommendation as well as reading the testimonials of this particular surgeon on ObesityHelp.com I had to call her office for an appointment--I was able to get in for my consultation within four months (I go August 25).
Closed Thread