Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 06:32 AM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Talking Life AFTER Weight Loss Surgery!!!!

It just dawned on me as I was putting on my sneakers to get ready for my Mall walk with Hazel...............I no longer need to sit on a bed or couch and hike my leg to the right or left to tie my shoe Which means the bow of my tied shoe is now right in the middle and not toward off center. Oh little things mean so much. Just being able to bend over and tie my shoe is wonderful!!

Add your "discoveries" I'll be back after our walk!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:29 AM   #2  

Congrats Debkay, you have come along way. I think these are the type of things I need to hear to get me off the fence.

Now I am looking down at my sneakers and they do seem to tilt to the middle.

and we all know that I am not a centrist

peach.................................who is quickly (?) re tying her shoes!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:43 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

oh wow!!! so many things!!! fitting into chairs, even those tiny ones with arms!! crossing my legs. being able to take off and put on pants without sitting down and twisting all over the place.

getting up from a chair without bracing myself with my arms.

fitting through small spaces, like when they put all kinds of boxes and stuff in grocery aisles and make it an obstacle course

standing for 15 minutes without getting tired

hiking

having people actually talk to me instead of avoiding me!

conversations with children because they don't think i'm a freak

fitting into the car. even the low ones
Old 05-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #4  

Oh my gosh this is a good one!! Not always being out of breath. I can't tell you how many times I have been told that I SOUND so much better (Debbie), even my sons physical therapist today said you look great but you sound wonderful.

Getting up off of the floor without worrying that I may be stuck down there until my husband gets home.

Having clothes be too big for a change!

Getting into a car and not worrying if the seat belts are going to fit.

Not only having the steering wheel not touch my stomach but even when I stick my tummy out as far as it will go there is still no chance it will touch!!!

And all this after only a few short months!!! This was the best thing I have ever done!!! I can't even begin to imagine what life will be like in a YEAR!!!

Hazel
Old 05-08-2003, 07:04 AM   #5  
she who must be obeyed

All of the above, plus

booths......no longer send me into a panic.

I can go to a baseball game and fit into the seats......without hanging over on my husband's seat

my cat now has a lap to sit in

told hubby yesterday, I was ready to go back to Hawaii and that he didn't need to trade in miles for first class this time, my butt would fit in coach

I'm not afraid to get into friend's cars, I'm not afraid to go to a friend's house and sit in less than sturdy chairs.

I'm no longer afraid to walk in front of a group of kids for fear they will moo at me

I walk with my head held high, no longer look at the ground

I no longer stick out like a sore-thumb in a crowd..........I blend in

The fear of losing my life before 50 due to my weight......of course, we never know what life holds for us, but hopefully a heart attack is NOT in my near future!

Okay.......Ruthie if you need to bleep this out, go ahead.....SEX, face it, at over 300 pounds was not high on my to-do list..........it's good again Poor hubby, can't wipe the smile off his face

!
Old 05-08-2003, 07:22 AM   #6  

I hear you Debbie!!!!!

I have a couple to add!

Painting my toe nails!!!

Feeling like a girl again.

Going out in public with no makeup and not feeling like a blob!

Just living life! It is soooooo much better!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 09:59 PM   #7  

Default excited

You guys are making me all excited again! (surgery date 6-5)

And you know what? It is so comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who has/had almost every single one of those problems!

whoops - E.R. is on!
later,

~Mia

http://www.2x60.com
2x60=120lbs
Old 05-09-2003, 11:15 PM   #8  

Default concerned

HEY ALL, DONT KNOW ME , NAME SENA , I FIRST WANT TO SAY CONGRATULATIONS ON LOSING WEIGHT AND FOR BEING SO BRAVE TO HAVE THIS SURGERY, MY FRIEND HAD IT IN OCTOBER I BELEIVE SHE IS WELL ON HER WAY , LOST 100 POUNDS. WELL OK HERE IT GOES....
I NEED TO LOSE ABOUT 85 POUNDS, SURGERY IS COOL, BUT SCARY, MY DOCTOR RECCOMMENDED I THINK OF HAVING IT MYSELF. IVE ALREADY MADE MY FIRST APPOINTMENT FOR THE CLASS YOU HAVE TO GO TO, THATS WHAT THEY DO IN CLEVELAND ANYWAY, WELL IM NERVOUSE, AND SCARED, I WANT TO DO IT BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT THE LONG TERM EFFECTS WILL BE IN 10 OR 20 YEARS. NEED ADVICE HERE. WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN? WHATS THE PAIN LEVEL? I HAVE TWO BOYS, 11 AND 8 THEY MEAN THE WORLD TO ME, I NEEED TO TAKE CARE OF THEM. IS THIS SURGERY REAL BAD AFTER YOU GET HOME? WELL ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT. PLEASE WRITE BACK THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK TOALL OF YOU . FREINDS... SENA
Old 05-09-2003, 11:47 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

Default nice to meet you sena...

and ask all kinds of questions. yes, i'd do it again, but i was almost dead before the surgery, so it was really a lifesaver for me.

the pain is there after surgery, and i got tired very easily. that's mostly because we're healing. that takes time and energy, just as it does with any other kind of surgery. but it goes away.

the most important thing: we have to make the commitment to taking care of ourselves for the rest of our lives. no more not eating right, not taking vitamins, not getting enough rest, not exercising. these are things that MUST happen for us to lose the weight, keep it off, and remain healthy. and everything else has to take second place.

hang out!!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #10  

WOW!! All your posts have me so psyched !!
I have an appointment to see my surgeon on the 23rd and I can't wait!!

Jen
Old 05-13-2003, 05:33 PM   #11  

I have to add a couple more!!!!

When we were camping I squatted down and washed dishes!!!! And the best part is after about 15 min of squatting I just stood up and walked over to the table to put the dishes down and that is when it hit me what I had just done.

Also I find myself running up and down the stairs instead of calling my kids to run and get things!!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:32 AM   #12  

Oh yeah and another thing I was at a meeting sitting in a chair and I look down and my legs are crossed!!!! I must be the biggest idiot that I do not realize these things until after they happen. I felt like such a girl.

Hazel
Old 05-14-2003, 07:38 PM   #13  

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I would love to have this surgery done. I've mentioned it to my doctor and she just shakes her head..says it's very dangerous and you don't hear that much about all the "negative" things. Then she says in her little bitty foreign voice "you just eat right ..you exercise. Eat fruit...no cookies.". Yeah... what a flipping news flash! Does she not realize that I've been doing those things..or atleast trying?? Anyway.. congratulations to you all! I've been all over the scale.. I was "fat" in highschool.. around 150 to 160 (yeah..I'd LOVE to be that fat again)... then I gained about 20 pounds.. then lost 60. My lowest weight was 114 (happy times..happy times!). I'm now at 255 and I'm beyond miserable. I've lost about 10 pounds in the last couple weeks..so I'm on my way to thin-ness once again=oP I can't wait! Listening to you all talk has gotten my very excited over all the "little things". Fitting into seats and not being embarrassed are the two biggies. I went to the fair with my children last year.. I couldn't hardly fit into the rides. One of the carnies came to try and fit the bar over me on one of the rides and he couldn't do it. I wanted to die! I WILL lose this weight and I will never go back!!

I'm babbling so I'll stop now=o) Congratulations again!!!
Closed Thread