Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default New Jersey Psych

Looking for a psych in new jersey to do evaluation for WLS... Any suggestions??

Thanks!
stocco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Hi stocco. What part of NJ are you in? and who's your surgeon? usually, surgeons have relationships with psychs and can do the referral for you. Is there some reason you don't want to use the psych that the surgeon recommended?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6

I am in Freehold, but I would travel pretty much anywhere in New Jersey... the psych that was given to me by my surgeon is not on my insurance plan and would charge me $200 for evaluation. I was looking for other suggestions and see if they were on my insurance plan.
stocco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

for a lot of reasons, many psychologists are opting out of insurance plans [too much paperwork, privacy issues, the fact that insurers dictate what they can and cannot say or do, all kinds of things]. But a lot of insurers also will reimburse you for the visits, at least to some extent. This means you'll have to shell out the money, of course, but if you file the paperwork, the company will send you some of the money.

check your policy - or call your insurance.

if this isn't an option, are there ANY psychs who are on your plan? if so, it'd probably be worth a call to see if they'd do the evaluation. there are standard questions and discussions that the evaluation requires, and if the plan psychs can handle them, and understand the issues, this could work.

I gotta say, though, that if your insurance company covers the surgery and all the preop evals and such, then it's really strange that they won't cover the psych eval. might be worth a phone call to them.

It must seem like I'm avoiding answering your question - i do indeed know several psychs who do the evals, but i also know that they don't take insurance, so you'd be in the same situation you are now, only more frustrated. the ideas i've tossed out here might help you get the eval AND avoid hefty fees.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote