Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #1  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up RNY date!

I finally got the call. I was feeling down, it felt like I would never get the message from the clinic.
Then after some running around, I saw the '1 new message' light.
I go in in June 29th, which means I start optifast June 6th!
My Aunt (in law), just had her's and she looks great..20lbs gone and her skin looks so much fresher!
I'm just so excited, after all those classes and whatnot it's finally my turn!
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

WOW!!! it's been a long haul for you - congratulations! so that means that in about 6 weeks, you'll be in surgery, after surviving 3 weeks on optifast. [just getting my head around the schedule here].

what's your biggest concern right now?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #3  
Creepin' in the Corner

I've been prepping for this moment for a long time. I think my concerns would be (apart from the crazy medical senarios in my head...I need to stop watching House before the date ;p), exactly how many calories I need to aim for. I never got an answer. I know they told me to focus on 60gr of potien, and low fat/carbs/sugar....
Edit - I was told the first year we should watch the nutriants first...and by the end of the first year about 700-1000cals a day is normal. I think counting everything to death is something I need to relax a bit from atm...

Last edited by retrogirl; 05-15-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

you're right - we CAN count ourselves to death. and THEY'RE right - for quite awhile, you're gonna be counting PROTEIN grams and CARB grams and how much liquid you've consumed.

it's ok. honest. really. truly. i promise.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #5  
imp

S/C/G: WLS 232/C 113/G 125

Congratulations on getting your surgery date! It'll be here before you know it. Really, it will. One day it will seem like forever away and then you'll be starting Optifast and then you'll be so sick of Optifast and then you'll be packing for the hospital. I know this is going to be a great journey for you!

My procedure is this week, and I'm trying to figure out where the last weeks went. Preop jitters are fun

As far as counting, ask your surgeon. I'm having a somewhat different procedure, but my doc hasn't said boo about counting anything except protein grams and fluid, and keeping carb intake low. He also says that I am likely to dump on too many carbs, so it seems to be a self-enforcing process for many people. Your doc will tell you if you need to count anything
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #6  
Creepin' in the Corner

Thanks Imp! That's what the Nut was saying to us.
Can you believe some guy even asked if he could have his beer in "like a month after?"
WHAT?! *facepalm*
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

WOw. beer? life is so much better with these surgeries when we work on figuring out how to live with them, instead of how to do an end-run around them!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #8  
Creepin' in the Corner

Hey all!
I started the optifast diet on the 6th. It's tough but it's not too bad
Good: Losing 5 lbs, and 1/2 and inch at the neck/arms/thigh/hips
Bad: my breath stinks...my sweat stinks. I was told it's my body going into ketosis and it's normal on Opti.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #9  
imp

how ya hangin' in there, retrogirl?

You're in my thoughts - only 18 days and you'll be starting your new postop life! Hang in there
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #10  
Creepin' in the Corner

Hey Imp! (I always picture a pixie when I see your UN ) Thank you for the good mojo!

I'm actually doing pretty good! I got a zumba video I want to try, it looks like a blast!
The only thing is, I got a new bike...and made it around the block, but barely! I was super exhausted. This low carb/cal diet really takes the wind out of your sails sometimes. I became frustrated and cried a bit, cause I couldn't push myself as hard as I wanted to.
I'll use that as motivation
I'm really used to the optifast now, have been using SF products to help change the flavors a bit. Discovered the Crystal Light cocktails...omg the appletini is awesome!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #11  
imp

Guuuurrrrllll. The mojito Crystal Light is my FAVORITE. My son can go through a pitcher of appletini in a day, though. It's so green!

I still have a lot of super-tired days since surgery (I'm four weeks out.) It's frustrating because you have all these Important Life Goals and you wanna Lose ALL The Weight! and eat NONE of the bad things and be amazing and also hot, sooner or later. Okay, that's how I feel.

Keep in mind that you made it around the whole block. And next time you will make it a little bit farther. You don't need to do marathons just yet

I think it's okay to give yourself permission to be human, some days. You get to be a person. You do not have to be Super Bariatric Patient every moment of every day. And just think - two weeks from Friday is surgery day!! OMG YAY!!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #12  
imp

Hey retrogirl!

Three days. Three days until your life changes forever! How you doin'?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #13  
Creepin' in the Corner

Oh man oh man! It's like I'm getting married all over again! I'm excited a bit scared....not a fan of hospitals.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #14  
imp

I was scared, too. I don't like being in a hospital unless I'm the one handing out the morphine, y'know?

The good news: you'll be asleep for part of it, and stoned for most of it. For me, the worst was preop and then a few hours of "OMG what have I done" afterwards. It is gonna hurt some, but it's not unbearable pain, and nurses are good at handing out things to make you not hurt. And within a few days you'll be all "this is AWESOME, I am not even hungry".

I'm gonna swing a chicken for you, chant, pray, and generally send good stuff into the universe at you. It's gonna be amazing.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

you'll be fine - i loved my morphine pump while i was in the hospital. most important thing, though: when the doc says that you can get out of bed and move around, DO IT!!! you don't have to run or walk fast, and you can be as dramatic as you'd like, but you do have to move. you really will feel better for it, and will heal faster.