Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

Default Athlet's heart, water retention and being fat

Ok, I hope I can explain this the way everyone will know what I'm talking about.

We all know that water retention can add a few pounds. This is NOT the thing I am going to talk about.

I was told by cardiologist I have an athlet's heart. You can read more on that link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome
It basicly means my heart beats slower.

Anyway, I had an appointment with my dietitian today, as one of the test I had to do before the surgery. And She said she knew from the start Im not a fatty Fatty...or however I can call it lol. I do not look fatty even though I have a lot of weight and fat obviously. She went thrugh my diet and she said the same thing I know for ages. I can not be fat from my dieat. I eat reasonably healthy, definitly could not gain that much weight with the foods Im eating. She asked me many things and then she said thet the reason I am fat could be that I have such heart and am basicly not pushing it to beat faster. It is true. At my young age I was studing not being too active and now its sort of the same. I do work out but not that regulary at all. She said what could happen is that Im reteing water throughout my entire life. And as I dont get enough rest (which is also true) my kidneys dont you know discharge water and it is possible it has been loding under my muscels creating body fat through the years.

Has anyone ever heard of that?

She said that if I start being active at least for an hour...meaning I could keep my heart beat 140 for an hour and if I start lying down somewhere around 10 or so I would probably start loosing weight. She said I dont have to force my self with some heavy activities I just have to raise my heart beat to 140 for an hour or more. It could be walking but it has to last for a longer period. And the reason I should start taking a rest sooner as she explained is that the kidneys need about 5-6 hours of lying down before they start the purification function. And that is the time I usualy get up. I only sleep for 6h and I never lay down before I go to bed.

I have never ever heard of that. And I am a bit thrown as she said I might not be needing the operation. And I am 340 lbs!!! This isnt making any sense to me.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Sleepy - i'm not quite sure what to say here. But I do know that my body uses water differently when i'm active than when i'm not. and that it seems to be related to how much 'air' i'm getting into my body. when i don't exercise, i don't breath enough air in, and i seem to retain water.

gotta tell you, i think that the program your dietitian laid out for you might be worth a try - it can't hurt you, and it might help. Will it help you avoid surgery? i have no idea! but you'll be building healthier habits, and we can all use them.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #3  

Im talking about posibility that water retention through the years made me fat...is the cause for me being the weight I am now.

Yes you're right, I absolutely will listen to her and follow the advice she gave me. Started with resting last night. Laid down ot 8 and this morning I ache from all the laziing lol. Bought my self some natural yougort, she said I should eat industry added fructozes, so she advices me to buy natural yougourt and mix it with baby food which has no artifical things added. Seem logical to me. I'll stop with the whole grained bread and some other modificatian she adviced and I'll see.

I know I still have the surgery I do need to lose lots and lots of weight.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

I've been told I had an athlete's heart too, weird! I just took it as a complement and shrugged it off.
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

i guess i dont see how its PHYSIOLOGICALLY, CHEMICALLY, THERMODYNAMICALLY possible for water to turn into fat. Somethign doesnt add up, or perhaps its your explanation (no offense)
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
i guess i dont see how its PHYSIOLOGICALLY, CHEMICALLY, THERMODYNAMICALLY possible for water to turn into fat. Somethign doesnt add up, or perhaps its your explanation (no offense)
I agree. I was trying to turn this thought into words and kept leaving the thread instead.

I'm not sure what your doctor is talking about. Inflammation = inflammation but it can only go so far... it won't turn water into fat.

How do you eat? What's reasonable? Honestly, diet is the BIGGEST factor in weight gain 99.99% of the time. There are medical conditions that have a small effect... but most of the time it really does come down to what we eat.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

there's something about oxygen saturation, heart rate, and obesity that affects metabolism. i don't pretend to understand it, but i can tell you that i gained weight on 800 calories a day [yes, 800 - in the hospital, very tightly controlled]. it wasn't until i was started on a diuretic that i started losing weight. the first 12 hours i lost 7 liters - which translates to about 18 pounds.

yes, i know that's unusual, and not what happens to most people. but there might be something going on with Sleepy's metabolism [over in Central Europe, BTW, so that English is far from her first language].

who knows? maybe her dietician is onto something that'll help her. if nothing else, it can't hurt.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #8  

Lovelyandloosing...me to at the time when they told me lol, they never explained what it was though.

mkroye...me neither its just not logical to me as I understood it was this waste toxis water that does that? I dont know, I cant explain better because I didint understand better lol. its just weird to me honestly.

Valrock...as I said it's odd to me too. Mainly because I have never ever heard of it. I hoped someone might and could explain better. Obviously there is no such thing and I cant find anything even remotly like this on internet. Not to mention it just doesnt add up.

jiffypop...thank you I will check things about metabolism to see if I can find anything. We'll see what will happen.

And yes, English is FAR from my first language

Thanx everyone for response and have a lovely easter weekend
Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

see if you can find something on Pickwick syndrome [or pickwickian?]. Once my sleep apnea was corrected, i lost 97 pounds in three months because i finally had a metabolism. I doubt that this is EXACTLY what's going on with you, but you might be somewhere on a similar pathway.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #10  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I don't pretend to understand this (and I'm a nurse!) but the weight you see on the scale won't tell you what % is fat, muscle and water, you'd need one of those BOD POD or Dexa scans to know that. Yes fat is fat, muscle is muscle and water is water and you can't convert one into the other but if a heart condition causes the body to process nutrients and water differently it is entirely possible that these changes will cause initial easy weight loss. I say initial because eventually the body will adapt and you know it wants to hang onto every bit of fat. So hey I say go for it!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #11  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I'm with Jen...there are things that happen in the body that we don't understand yet, no one does. I have an athletic heart as well... perhaps my very slow weight gain is due to this difficulty with water retention, kidney function and rest! I am going to try it! And there is nothing wrong with getting your heart rate over 140 for an hour, that has been proven to be true.

Stranger things have come out of the study medical disorders, don't knock it if you don't understand it. There are some that said Salk was crazy and he save millions of lives with the polio vaccine!

Last edited by missangelaks; 04-10-2012 at 12:16 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #12  
threenorns

i have an extremely low heart rate, too - after someone jumped and said "boo!", basically scaring the s--t outta me, it registered 72.

when i was in full training in the gym, my resting heart rate (taken in bed first thing in the morning before moving) was high 40s to low 50s.

i also don't sleep a lot - i sleep in 2hr bites, 2 to 3 a night.

and yes - i gained weight at 1500cal/day and at 1200cal/day and when i go on VLCD, i characterically lose a crapload the first week.

one thing to consider: the more body fat you have, the more water you can hold.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

If you have a low resting heart rate, I would imagine that means you have a very slow metabolism - which would imagine would make it very easy to gain weight and very hard to lose weight.

Also, the more water you're retaining, the higher your BF% can be (ask anyone who has a fancy scale and has weighed themselves during TOM). My guess is that the fat cells are what is holding all of the water, which can affect a person's weight and size.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 117.7/63.7/60

Height: 168

There's not a direct correlation between a low resting heart rate and low metabolism - most fit athletes have a low resting heart rate but high metabolisms. A low resting heart rate can be a good or bad thing - generally it means you can pump enough blood to support your body tissues with less beats per minute. That can be because your metabolism is low and you don't need a lot of nutrients to your tissues, or it can be because your heart muscle is efficient and pumps more blood around with each beat, or various other things.

There's not really a medical thing known as an "athlete's heart", it's a just a term commonly used to describe a low resting HR in someone who exercises a lot.
pacman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #15  

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts.

Well if nothing else I started resting more lol. Why is this so much easier then starting working out more With restnig more...meaning I go to bed earlier I did benefit something..my feet arent swollen anymore...which is amazing my joint arent as painfull as they were and I feel better as my body feels lighter, more rested. And I dont look as bloated (sp.?)...feels like I shrunk even though I only lost two or three pounds. And one more thing...I feel more soft lol. It's true, when I squeeze my legs or arms now they feel so much softer...earlier I was all hard, compact...diffiult to describe...but I am sof t now ))