Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #1  
JenH

S/C/G: 331/317/170

Height: 5'7"

Default 5 days out

Five days out from Gastric Bypass and have consumed about 300 calories total since then. Have only thrown up once but eating anything makes me feel pretty crappy even when it's sf jello. Any thoughts?
Macksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

Can you provide any more information? What are you eating each day? When? What specific problems are you encountering? How much liquid are you taking in?

Dehydration is a serious problem at first, because it can be very uncomfortable to consume anything. 300 calories over 5 days is not good. You are not getting your protein in (at least 60g per day), which aids in healing.

Here is what I did the first few days:

Protein drinks: I consumed 1 ounce/15 minutes. I even set an alarm clock to remind me when to drink. I used soy milk or lactaid (I'm lactose intolerant) to up the protein.

Meals: broth mixed with unflavored protein powder mixed in or greek yogurt (also with unflavored protein powder mixed in). I ate about 2oz per meal.

The first week, I was easily able to get in 60g just by drinking 2 protein shakes a day and supplementing with a little more protein for the meals. When I could (day 3, I think), I added crystal light (plain water made me feel ill) to boost the liquids. I know they say 6-8 cups of water a day, but I still struggle with that and I am a month out. I can get in 6 cups most days; 8 is really hard.

Keep trying to get in the liquids and protein, even though it is uncomfortable. Just keep sipping; you don't want to end up in the ER.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Hi there! glad you've made it this far - when do you see your surgeon next? It might be worth calling them to tell them what's going on with you. Quite a few surgeons want people to stay on clear liquids for the first week, and not worry about the protein quite yet. After the first post-op visit, though, things change a bit - more food gets added in, with different textures.

but every surgeon is a little different.

please make drinking a priority - especially in the summer!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm not sure what it is about it, but sf Jell-o was the ONE thing that always made me puke when I was in the hospital. When I left the hospital, I never ate it again, and never puked again!

My first week home, I didn't try to eat anything, just had protein shakes. I make mine with unsweetened almond milk to keep the carbs low. If I could stand any protein shakes made with water, that would have been even better.

Oh, and chicken broth. That was another saving grace for me early out.

As the others have mentioned, focus on FLUIDS. Water should be your #1 priority at this point. I ended up getting IV fluids about a month out because I was dehydrated, and being dehydrated can make you nauseous and can cause an aversion to all food and drink (seems counterintuitive, but it happens!).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #5  
JenH

Thumbs up Better day

Was able to have about six oz of skim milk today...made me feel much better. Then hubby showed up with the protein powder and I was able to get about 20 gms protein through that. Needless to say, much better day. The water thing is brutal, seems like every sip I take my stomach churns but I'm working on it.

Thanks for all the great advice, totally working on more protein and liquids.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macksmom View Post
The water thing is brutal, seems like every sip I take my stomach churns but I'm working on it.
When I was early out, plain water made me totally nauseous, which was weird for me since I'd been drinking at least 2 liters of plain water daily pre-op. I had to turn to lots of Crystal Light (and cheaper generics!) sugar free drink mixes to be able to get my fluids down. I don't drink these anymore because I'm now avoiding artificial sweeteners, but it really helped at the time.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #7  

I could have written Jill's post re: water. I still can't drink plain water and have to rely on Crystal Light. I don't understand it, personally. I, too, used to drink lots of tap water pre-surgery, but now if I take more than a sip, it gives me instant gas and stomach cramps. So bizarre.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Keep trying to get more fluids/protein in and hopefully everyday you will feel better.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #8  
JenH

Yeah I'm going to try the crystal light tomorrow I think. My biggest problem right now seems to be every thing out there on my list is sweet flavored and that's the last thing I want.

Hopefully the crystal light will prove to go over better than the water.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

it's worth a try, and remember - you can ALWAYS add more water to dilute the crystal lite or whatever so that you get the right amount of flavor.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 299/240/170

Sugar-free popsicles are wonderful! That was all I could get in for the first few days!
ROMANS828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Maybe try switching from jello to broth. With something sugary like jello, it's going to make you feel worse because your blood sugar levels will drop more often.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #12  

Macksmom, how have you been doing? Hoping you are feeling better!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I agree with all of the other experienced ladies on here! I'm 18 months out and still don't enjoy plain water. I use Crystal Light-like mixes and water them down.

You have two things to focus on: Protein and Fluid. Don't worry about the rest of it. That will come with healing. It seems like it takes forever, but later, it will have flown by.

And, when you are progressing well, you will forget all about it!!!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote