Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 313/300/165

Height: 5'7"

Smile Surgery this week

Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum but so happy I found it. I will be having WLS this weekend. I'm excited, nervous, and a bit scared, but I figure that's all normal. I am having my surgery done in Cancun as I have to pay for it myself.
MilwRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #2  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

Good luck! And have a speedy recovery down there too!
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

good luck!! which surgery are you having? and will you be going to cancun for your followups <lucky you to escape the winter!!> or did you find someone local?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #4  

I am having the mini gastric bypass. I won't be traveling back to Cancun for followups, the doctors here in Milwaukee will just have to deal with me
Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

have you talked with them? the reason I'm asking is that some docs don't want to follow up some other surgeon's patients. another hurdle to deal with, of course, but better to be prepared than to be surprised!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #6  

Had my surgery last Friday. I'm home and recooping. I feel fine, just slightly achy. I know it's soon after surgery, but I haven't felt hungry at all yet. There are times because I'm bored when I WANT to eat (old bad habit) , but I just don't FEEL like eating. (ok, not eating, eating as I'm still on liquids, but you no what I mean). Getting sick of liquids tho. I am looking forward to real foods again.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #7  

Height: 5'10"

Glad your surgery went well!
FutureFitMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

take your time, red. drink up!! and now's the time to pick up SOMETHING [ANYTHING!!!] to keep your hands busy to help you deal with the head hunger.

did you stay in a hospital or hotel after your surgery? I've heard of both -

glad you're back safe and sound!!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #9  

I had surgery on Friday, spent Friday night and Saturday night at the hospital, was released and spent Sunday night at a hotel. Then it was back on the plane on Monday to come home.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #10  
Releasing the inner hiker

Jiffy, you are SO RIGHT about picking up a hobby to keep yourself busy. I don't go back to work for another 2 weeks, and while I am walking as much as I can to get out of the house, I'm in need of a hobby. I'm thinking crochet, but I don't think I'll be able to teach myself from a book.

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 08-13-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Can't seem to spell crochet right
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

Jen - check out your local craft stores and yarn shops. they often give classes - and you'll get to meet other yarn nuts [raising hand here!]. some yarn shops charge a pretty penny for this, but they often give a discount on the yarns that you choose.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #12  
Releasing the inner hiker

I picked up a "teach yourself how to crochet" kit today. I have my doubts, so I think I will definitely look into your suggestion if I fail at following directions, lol.

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 08-13-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: I keep misspelling crochet!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

i like crochet - i even made a lace tablecloth! but it aggravates an old broken thumb [i slammed a baritone case on the base of the thumb in high school, and it healed, but there's more than a touch of arthritis in it!]. So, i switched to knitting.

and i tried tatting, but i literally tied my fingers up in knots!!!! let us know how it goes! there's LOTS of really nice stuff you can make.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #14  

Youtube is FANTASTIC for learning some basic crochet!!! I HAVE to watch someone do things, drawings and photos just don't do it. Good luck!
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #15  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I threw myself into my painting!!! Made enough to fill the Gallery and then some! i had a lot of head hunger!hehehehe

Just started a wood craving out of the dead tree in the back yard. I will try and post a pic, I'm pretty proud!

keeping busy is a very good way of handling the 2 year old inside me that demands the cookies!!! hehehehehe

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 08-14-2011 at 06:13 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote