Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/300/150

Height: 5'6

Question Requesting Some Insight for LapBand

As the title indicates, I was looking for some general information about the lapband surgery. I'm 320lbs, and quite frankly sick of it. I've been fat all my life after having gone on my first diet at aged 11. Nothing's ever helped twice a year there are diets and then the repercussions of those diets, Now its 50lbs worse on account of a thyroid condition I developed a few years ago. I'm 28 and I am afraid of life, of getting hurt by it or by the shame of being what I am, its just getting to the point of being intolerable. It's absolutely held me back in life, it's left me feeling unqualified for anything (of course the FABULOUS economy that we're in may have something to do w/ it). I can't tell you how many times things I planned on doing when I was thinner, but the thinner never comes. I know there's a life out there for me but I'm refusing to live it until I can actually do stuff w/o feeling like a blimp trying to sit in an airplane seat.

To be fair, a lot of that top bit is venting...it only happens when my friends invite me out and I have to wonder how to make it to wherever they want to go. Mostly I'm looking for a lapband to sort of springboard some weightloss and make it easier to create and maintain good habits. It's not so much that I eat poorly, I cook at home, eat my veggies and am 'ok' at getting all the food groups in...but at this point its a quantity thing, I've just eat twice as much as everyone else, I'm just always hungry. I just can't see myself dieting unsuccessfully for the rest of my life.

Now that the tmi part is done, what I'm looking for is information more specifically whether anyone has not had insurance and had it done anyway. I'd like to know if anyone's regretted getting a lapband and what if any side effects you had that you didn't expect. (for those wondering why I've chosen a lapband is because I simply don't like the idea of rerouting my pipes permanently).

Thanks for the help
junyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Have you looked at the VSG? It is restriction only (so no rerouting of "pipes"), as it only makes your stomach smaller without placing a foreign object in your body. Also, please know that rerouting of "pipes" is not permanent since they don't actually remove any intestine - in extreme cases, the rerouting can be undone.

I am not a huge fan of any type of adjustable gastric banding (be it Lap, REALIZE, etc.). I'm glad it is there as an option for those who have circumstances that will not allow them to have other procedures, but I believe way more people end up with a band when it is not the best option for them simply because they thought it was "less invasive" or removable.
Yes, the initial surgery is less invasive, which normally results in a quicker recovery, but there is a whole host of potential problems that comes with having an object placed around your stomach - not to say other surgeries don't also have risks of complications, of course, but I think many believe the band is so much safer when, for many, it isn't. It also requires more maintenance in that you must go back in for fills/unfills (can get costly without insurance, so be sure to factor that in as well) - some people only need one or two fills to find their "sweet spot" while others fill, overfill, unfill, etc., and never seem to find quite the magic point for them.

Some people do amazingly well with the band - otherwise, no one would continue doing it (in fact, some hospitals in Europe will no longer perform this procedure due to the low success rates, and I have heard rumors of some US insurance companies dropping coverage of banding for the same reason - lower success rates and higher re-operation rates than other frequently covered procedures).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

hi junyper!!! we feel your pain. and you're making a decision that will affect you for the rest of your life - so please be sure to do all your research. As Jilly said, there's a fair amount of maintenance that has to go along with the lapband. Some people find it a PITA, but others find it very livable.

And there's also a fair amount of maintenance that has to happen with any other procedure - especially concerning vitamin deficiencies. So, it's truly a matter of deciding how you want to live, and what you're willing to do.

make sure you're understanding what you're getting into.

Many surgeons are now considering WLS as a staged process - restriction first, and then, if goals aren't achieved, adding the malabsorption part [rerouting your innards with either an RNY or a DS]. Most docs will use either the lapband or a fixed ring. The vertical gastrectomy is gaining in popularity, with very good results.

I had a gastric bypass more than 8 years ago - lapband was NOT an option for me because i was so sick that i needed a faster weight loss than the lapband could provide. My surgeon told me, though, that the outcome with either surgery was all up to me.

now, having said that. If i were looking at today's surgeries, I'd go with a vertical gastrectomy with the RNY rerouting. it preserves the pyloric valve, and the results are excellent.

Personally, I'm glad i don't have a lapband at this point. and that's ONLY an opinion - not a recommendation or a judgment. other people i know LOVE LOVE LOVE their bands and wouldn't have it any other way.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
now, having said that. If i were looking at today's surgeries, I'd go with a vertical gastrectomy with the RNY rerouting. it preserves the pyloric valve, and the results are excellent.
This is basically what I have - VSG stomach and about the same amount of malabsorption as a proximal RNY. The thing that scares me most is that I chose the DS for the greater malabsorption to help keep the weight off long-term. Instead, with proximal RNY malabsorption, I will likely only malabsorb any calories for about 12-24 months, and then I'm back where I started, just with a smaller stomach and needing to take vitamins/minerals. I do love my pylorus, though, so I am with you there!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

and welcome,

I have had the band for 5 years now and I can honestly say I love my band. Although I am not at goal (my fault, not exercising and to much chocolate) my band had really done its job.

Like the ladies said, no matter what surgery you have you're going to have to maintain one thing or another. I too did not like the thought of rerouting my pipes LOL and malabsorption for the rest of my life.

As far as maintaining the band, initially you might have to visit your doctor frequently for your fills, but once you're at the restriction level you need (which of course is possible, I've found mine), I would think follow up visits are probably no different then any other surgery. Ask your doctor about the cost of fills as every surgeon is different, some will include a certain number of follow up visits in the initial surgery cost. I have insurance so I can't say.

The only problem I have right now is acid reflux but if I would just exercise and stay away from sweets, it would clear up. Other than that, and as of today the band has been good to me.

Just remember, surgery is a tool, not a cure, .. it still means a life time of eating healthy and exercising.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/300/150

Height: 5'6

Thanks for all the information, its been very helpful, I really do need to more research. I guess when I have a goal in mind I don't always see the other (maybe easier) paths of getting there. I think I'm just starting to realize how long this process is going to take me... so daunting, but easier w/ the support
junyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Luck !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote