Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Help for my essay this week, please!

I have to write an essay this week for class about weight loss surgery. I need to determine if I'm for it or against it. I know it's not the right option for me, but it has been a lifesaver for folks on this board, so I can't say I'm against it. But since I've never considered it for myself, I don't really know the reasons people consider it. If it's not too personal, can you guys give me some feedback? What made you decide to have surgery? Was it your suggestion or your doctor's? My cousin had it a few years ago and she's giving me her thoughts, but a few extra opinions could certainly help.

Thanks!
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

the seminars for weight loss surgery are free, you should find one in your area and go to it. they are very informative. I chose weight loss surgery because i have medical issues that actually hinder weight loss, and I was sick of fighting it. I have been obese for 20 years. everyones reasons are different.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I agree that everyone's reasons are different and that going to a seminar would be a great idea.

The only way surgery is successful is if it is your own decision. No one else can make that decision for you. If you don't do it for the right reasons, you don't make it.

There are so many decisions that are made along the way. What type of surgery? When? Where? How soon? What type of support? What doctor? who do you tell? And how?

Good luck!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #4  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

My internist suggested it as the drugs we'd been using for 8 years had stopped working (actually, I was able to override them). I didn't want to hear it and did nothing for a year. I then decided I had to do something & researched WLS for a year. I went to WLS seminars and met with several surgeons. Most wanted me to have one type of surgery. After researching them, I knew I wanted another. I made a pros/cons list of what I wanted and what negatives I could live with from the surgery. I was able to present that to my surgeons and to myself and it led me to having surgery and the surgery I wanted.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I got the assignment on Monday, and it has to be completed by next Monday. With work and my other classes, I can't squeeze in a seminar even if I was able to locate one on such short notice. It was a good idea though, thanks.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote