Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Red face Ideas for A Lowcarb baked Chicken Nugget

Does anyone have any ideas for a low carb baked chicken nugget that doesn't involve Pork Rinds?
Everything I found either had pork rinds or was deep fried.
I was thinking maybe a flax and parmesan as a crust?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I like ground almonds or almond meal. You can grind or finely chop roasted almonds in a food processor or buy it in health food stores. I marinate the chicken pieces (strips, nuggets or larger pieces) in ranch dressing or seasoned mayo overnight. Then I combine salt, pepper, seasoned salt and garlic powder (just a sprinkle of each) into the almond meal. Usually I put the meal in a ziploc bag or tupperware container and "shake and coat" a couple pieces at a time and put them on a cooking spray, sprayed cookie sheet or pan and bake at 350 til done.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

mmmmmmmmmmmmm that sounds good
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been craving crispy hot wings, and I forgot to buy boneless chicken when we were at the grocery store today (usually I buy boneless thighs because they're much cheaper and stay moister).

For the boneless buffalo style nuggets, I put a bit of tobasco in the mayo/dressing marinade and cayenne powder and extra garlic in the almond meal mixture. Sometimes instead of salt, I will use a 1/2 tsp of chicken soup base powder in the marinade and/or in the coating mix.

Sam's Club has this wonderful buffalo blue cheese dip that I bought for Christmas. It's like a very thick blue cheese dressing, but with a hot pepper kick. That's awesome with chicken wings. I'm hoping it's something they carry all year (or at least all winter) long.

Gosh, I REALLY want hot "wings" now.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-19-2009 at 11:14 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I've made my DH a batch of these and used: all kinds of spice (what you like really), egg white, then rolled them in crushed sour cream and chive baked Lays, and sprayed them with cooking canola spray. I didn't eat them because I was working on greens and beans, but he liked them. It is a knock-off of Paula Deen.

KO: Since you have used TVP......Can these stand a lone as a meat substitute? I found a recipe called Knobby Joes on this site where they used lentils instead of meat for sloppy joes and it got me to thinking about maybe using TVP instead of the lentils. I hate to waste anything, so what do you think?
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You can also buy low carb bread, let a few pieces dry and get hard then grate it and use that as a coating, its probably low calorie too. Ground nuts and cheese sounds good.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Kaplods... now I want buffalo chicken haaaaaaaaaa
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Nan, I think you'd want to reconstitute them in something with a lot of flavor. Maybe Beef Broth that you've spiked with some spices. Otherwise TVP is pretty bland on it's own. However I use the morningstar farms crumbles which I think are basically super flavored TVP So maybe do some beef broth garlic and assorted spices also I'd mix em with the Lentils. . .I love Lentils!

Kaplods Great wedding Pic Thanks for all the input!! I don't have any Almond meal But I think I'll marinate them in some hot sauce over night then dip in egg and "shake" in some flax and parm (now I just have to cough my way to the store)
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #9  

OMG, you guys are great! I'm dr00ling now. I'd have never thought of a crushed almond coating.

Hugs to you!
Ratkitten
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 387/318/145

Height: 5'8"

Nancy, I used the TVP with sloppy joe mix and the kids loved it!! Yes, I just mixed it with a little beef broth first.
worthapenny is offline   Reply With Quote