Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #1  

Default New to 3FC and about to have GBP surgery

Hi,

I'm looking for some support. I'm 34 and I, like everyone else, have been on every diet there is and many I've created. I'm sitting right about the 300 lb mark right now. I began pursuing wls again about 4 months ago. I've started the program twice and then stopped, praying I would find another way, but I feel more lost than ever. When I filled out my diet history this time I realized I've lost and gained back at least 50 lbs 5 times in the last 10 years. I don't want to live like this anymore. I feel like every decision I make at this point in my life comes back to my weight. Should I go to the shower, no everyone will just stare at my most recent weight gain. Should I apply for the promotion, no if I can't even control what I eat why should I think I can run a department. Take a trip, what if the seat belt is too small. Meet friends to go shopping, what if my ankles can't take it. It's not everything about me, it's not even what's most important, but I am so sick and tired of thinking about this all the time.

So surgery. I have my surgeon's appt march 19 and then will probably have the surgery 4-8 weeks after. I've already jumped through all the other hoops, nutrition appts, seminars, psych appts etc. I really really am going to need some help with this. I've been reading the other posts and I think this is where I need to be. Thanks for reading.

Laura
BrighterPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

so nice to meet you, Laura!!! and glad you found our little corner of the world. how'd you pick your surgeon? it looks like you have everything under control [well, as much control as a person can have over these things!!!!]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #3  

Smile

My insurance chose my surgeon for me. I'm really happy though. I'm a patient of Dr O'Malley at the Highland Hospital in Rochester, NY. I work for a different hospital and they used to cover bariatric surgery at more local hospitals (we don't currently offer it), but we've had some serious complications with hospitals that "dabble" in wls so they chose Highland Hospital because of their program. The only drawback is that it's a 2.5 hour drive away. A small price to pay for quality, I hope.

I was lucky insurance wise. I didn't have to go through any intensive nutrition program. I had to keep a food diary for 2 months, set and keep specific goals and meet with my nutritionist and psychologist regularly. These are requirements of the program though, not my insurance, thank goodness. According to Dr Malley they have an 80% sucess rate, which they define as someone losing at least 50% of their excess weight and keeping it off for at least 5 years. Those numbers really clinched this for me. One of my biggest fears is gaining the weight back. I have lost and gained back weight so many times that I'm far more scared of how to keep it off than I am how to lose it.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

HI Laura!!!!!!!

I am so glad you found us too! I know how nervous I was, how excited and hopeful for the future I was before surgery...it's what those around here call the emotional rollercoaster! I will say that after a year I am feeling soooooo good and would do this a hundred times! It's not easy...the emotional aspect, the learning new ways of eating and drinking, how the dynamics with friends and family change...Now I worry about losing the last 25 lbs or just keeping it off...learning more new ways to deal with the life that is happening around me.

So, find a good hobby...get into a walking group...join a gym...or whatever you can do to motivate yourself to exercise, do and eat what the dr. tells you and come here honey, this is a great set of people that I am honored to know.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 02-22-2009 at 07:44 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Laura

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #6  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Welcome. Glad you're here.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #7  

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and special huge thanks to JillyBean for all the information she's sent me through private msgs.

I found out that Dr O'Malley offers DS in addition to GPRNY. I am really excited now. When I first posted here I wasn't even clear on the difference and now I find out I have a choice. I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing. Wishing you all the best too.

Laura
Old 02-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Hey Laura....That is the name of one of my favorite movies as well as my sister.
Welcome to the boards and we will cross our fingers, eyes, legs, arm....you name it and there is plenty of room on our bench of skinner butts. There are a lot of really smart experienced people on this board. Read all you can, then read some more and ask your NUT and doctor question after question. Good luck my dear.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm glad you're aware of ALL your options
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote