Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #1  
paulaS

S/C/G: 285/tickler/150

Height: 5 8

Default Insurance

Can anyone tell me, what insurance will cover the surgery. I've been thinking about the surgery for a while, but my insurance will not cover, how do I get around this, and I can't afford to pay out of pocket
Paulas
pkend4593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Paula thats a hard question because every insurance co. is different and they change so fast. What they cover today might not be covered tomorrow.

Sorry.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

AND it also depends on whether you're considering lapband or gastric bypass. in general - you might have to change insurance companies. OR, and this doesn't usually work - but you might get lucky - you can appeal the policy. this takes a lot of effort, however.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #4  
How much longer?

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Height: 5'5'

I did have a friend that got it covered I think with Blue Cross....BUT she had to go through ALOT of hoops to get it. She had to qualify. Such as height vs. weight, health, etc. She had to lose 10-20 pounds prior to surgery. Insurance companies will usually only cover it if it is a major health risk for you if you don't have it. I want to say go talk to your doctor but then that would make it pre-exsisting and then it defently would not be covered. GOSH I LOVE AMERICA!
Insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #5  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

i have united and it was really easy to get approved. it took less than an month once if finished everything (test) my doc says they are the easiest and i had the lap band.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote