Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/296/170

Height: 5'4"

Cool Quitting Smoking For Surgery!!

Yes I am a smoker (unfortunately). I had my last cigarette at 6pm tonight. I picked up the Nicorette gum and so far so good. I know that I need to quit for my surgery scheduled for August 4th, so now is as good a time as any...Any tips for helping is greatly appreciated!
Cherylk285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Good luck! My DH used Chantix with good success - it's expensive though. I have a friend who quit almost a year ago (she had been a fairly heavy smoker for 25 years). She did it cold turkey. She told me last weekend, it's hard for her every time she's around cigs, but she is going strong still. You can do it!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: atkins 06/ 08

Height: 5'5

I wish you the best. TIPS start painting your nails, playing guitar, knitting, writing long letters you get the ideal find something ANYTHING for your hands to do . I just quit.. started Chantix in Jan and put on 30 + lbs so please for your sanity and heart your weight find something for those little hands [that for how ever long have been going to your mouth time and time again with that cig ]find something..
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

you go, girl!!!! and that 'finding something to do with your hands' is SOOO important - after surgery, too!!! you're doing two very hard things at the same time- so please don't beat yourself up if you have a setback or two.

we have to find substitutes for those things that kept us going before the surgery [and stopping smoking!]. eating. smoking. keep us posted! keep typing here!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #5  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

congrats, it is a great thing to do. i sell medical oxygen and most are on it from cigs. it causes lots of problems with your heart and long.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

My DH quit smoking 7 years ago, and he was a heavy smoker. Any time he went for food to replace the hand/mouth motions he would grab a small dum dum lollipop. Not good to replace one habit with another but it did help him. You can try tooth picks too. He also chews alot of pepperment gum (sf).

GOOD LUCK and CONGRATULATIONS !!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

I used the surgery as my motivation to stop. I told myself that it was important to the healing and long term health after. I also told myself that if I could do the surgery then I must have the strength in me to stop. My quit date was 10-15-07. I stopped cold turkey and have not had a puff off of once since. Dont get me wrong, I still crave them and many in my family (even my mom who lives with me) still smokes. It smells really good from time to time but I WILL NOT go back to that addiction!
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote