Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

Smile shopping ideas

My husband had his first appt. this week and is set up for tests ect over the next month and then at the time will have an appt to talk about date ect.
The nurtionist told us he will need to eat like he has already had the surgry and will need to loss about 17 pounds beforehand. ANyhow she told us about the protien, veggie, no carb diet he will need to be on-he starts monday.
just wondering if anyone had ideas of foods to try.... I am making a list of no no foods that we think maybe ok but really are not example-pickles and gum which when i called yesterday to make appts they said he can not have them.
Can you think of anything else???
Thanks for your help and support
I am excited for my husband that he is taking
charge of his health but I know this will be a long jounery.
Colleen
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

If you pick dill pickles I don't see a reason they wouldn't be allowed??? Maybe the sodium but that's where your drinking of water comes into play. I chew gum almost everyday. It's sugarless and I use it for my breath issues that I have....ketones don't smell nice..LOL!!

If you shop the outside perimeters of the store you'll be safe.

I am wondering what type of "no carb" diet they are putting him on???? Why "no carbs"....fruits and veggies do have carbs in them.....but they are the good carbs.....
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #3  

It is high protein low carb-meaning no breads, pasta , ect. vegs and some fruits are ok.
i was thinking dill as well- i asked the nurse but i will ask the
nurtionist when we see her again.
I really want him to be successful on this-want to keep the foods at a good varitey. Years ago when we did atkins it got boring and we slipped up alot.
Not really concerned about after the surgry right now-more concerned with losing the weight he has to lose and changing his habits. He might not have wls until january so there is plenty of time for me to educated myself on what will happen after the wls.
Can you recommend a good protien shake?
Thanks
Colleen
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #4  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

i use the gladiator from smoothie king. 42grams of protein 1 net carb. also get tuna 20 grams, eggs 8 grams, and fish. that is pretty much what i live on. i have lost 50 pounds in 3 months and 10 days. make sure to eat lots of protein. it is the diet you will be on anyway after lapband or whatever surgery you have. good luck! oh and i do eat pickles, just the no sugar added kind.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

gotta be brief here - work calls!

focus on protein and veggies - instead of a sandwich, wrap the sandwich fixings in large lettuce leaves [kind of asian!], and you can even use some FF/LF mayo or salad dressing.

relatively un-processed cold cuts - lean ham, roast beef, turkey, chicken

any kind of meat, fish, poultry. and you can also add some LF/FF gravy or sauce. WE CAN HAVE SOME. not a CUPFUL, but certainly enough to make the meat moist.

veggies: no potatoes or rice, and be careful with winter squash, peas, carrots. but otherwise, try everything! zucchini boats, for example [split them, scoop out some of the seeds, top with seasoning of choice, some sliced tomato, then bake in oven until almost done, then top with some cheese].

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you let this become boring. this is a GREAT time to make this change work -

your plate should be 60% protein and 40% veggies at this point.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #6  

I called the nutrionist today with a list of food i was unsure about and she was helpful. She said pickles were fine but he nurse was the one who said no-think i will stick to the nurtionist for advise. I did some shopping today since chicken ect was on sale. I got low fat mayo-fat free dressings-no fat gravy-soy flour-spray oil-spray butter-tuna-no sugar pudding and jello-shrimp-crystal light-and a bunch of other stuff-I will go out on sunday and get fresh vegs ect. I wondered about pop corn-figuring no but thought i would ask.
waht excectly do you mean about no processed deli meat?
If you think of anything else let me know
this should be interesting!!
Thanks for your help
Colleen
Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

sounds like you're off to a good start! most of us eventually evolve into more of a 'whole foods, unprocessed' sort of eating plan, but there's no sense in doing that just yet. it's just that, post-surgery, we gotta be sure that we pack as much nutrition into each bite as possible.

deli meats that are REALLY processed include: bologna, chicken roll, turkey roll, liverwurst.

the relatively unprocessed stuff is basically a piece of meat that's been cooked: turkey BREAST, chicken BREAST [any flavor of these is fine - i LOVE tex-mex turkey and buffalo chicken!], roast beef, corned beef [watch the salt in that one!], and lower-fat ham.

now that you have a great start on your shopping, have you given any thought to menus?? inquiring minds are looking for new recipes!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #8  

figured i would stick to everyday food just made differently. I have a healthy low carb cook book for when my husband and I did atkins 3 years ago- i will dust it off and take a look. Do you have any suggestions?
The nutrionist talked about 3 meals a day but I am wondering how many snacks you might have? if any......
My husband works construction so he has to eat out of his lunch box-no mircowave ect-figure i will do deli meat roll ups-anyother suggestions?