Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #1  
Linda

S/C/G: 324/311.0/150.0

Height: 5'2"

Default Personal Questions

I know that I am still pretty far away from the surgery, but there is a lot to think about! So I have a few questions for everyone that has already had it.

I am obese because of genetics and metabolism, but I can also say I LOVE to eat tasty food! Is it hard after the surgery to not eat the things you used to love. I.E. My fav restaurant is Taco Bell I love their grilled stuffed burritos. I will never again be able to eat a whole one!

Secondly, is it possible to tighten your skin up as you lose weight or is it almost a given that you have to have plastic surgery?

Finally, As you are losing weight to your goal weight, what do you do about clothes? I definitely can't afford a new wardrobe every few months!
lswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Iswood,

What surgery are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswood View Post
I am obese because of genetics and metabolism, but I can also say I LOVE to eat tasty food! Is it hard after the surgery to not eat the things you used to love. I.E. My fav restaurant is Taco Bell I love their grilled stuffed burritos. I will never again be able to eat a whole one!
I think no matter what surgery you are talking about, it really depends on the individual what you can / can't eat. Your surgeon will tell you to stay away from places like Taco Bell.. he will suggest a high protein low carb diet.

Quote:
Secondly, is it possible to tighten your skin up as you lose weight or is it almost a given that you have to have plastic surgery?
That depends on how much a person has to lose. Here's a good place you can ask questions about skin / plastic surgery etc. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

Quote:
Finally, As you are losing weight to your goal weight, what do you do about clothes? I definitely can't afford a new wardrobe every few months!
Some people go to the consignment shops, some buy stretchy pants so it kinda gives you lead way... keep your eyes open for sales. If you got a sewing machine you can take your clothes in.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I go to Goodwill. Salvation Army and Savers for clothes, if you look everything over very carefully you can get some really good buys in clothes. Quite often you can find new clothes at these stores. I have a really good looking wardrobe , most of it came from these stores or I buy new clothes when they come on sale in the retail stores.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #4  
Linda

S/C/G: 324/311.0/150.0

Height: 5'2"

I am not sure if I am going with the bypass or lap-band yet. I am meeting with the surgeon on Tuesday to discuss.
lswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Quote:
There is a lady in the support group here that has lost around 300lbs after GBS who is an advocate for NOT having plastic surgery. She says that after 4 years of a very good exercise routine most of her skin has come in! She looks great, she is in the walking group I went with on Sunday. She's a marathon runner now! I'm glad to know her . I have always thought I wanted plastic surgery, but now I have a choice.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 02-28-2008 at 11:05 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'll chime in one thing. . .make sure you're ready psychologically to not have the "tasty food" I'm a year and a half out and fast food just doesn't satisfy the way it did it usually just tastes greasy and gross.
Having Surgery is a BIG DECISION your life will change forever if you want to maintain your success. best of luck and keep us posted!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #7  
Buffalo Girl

S/C/G: 220/209/128

Height: 5'1"

I'm so glad to hear that you don't necessarily have to have plastic surgery for loose skin! I was dreading even pricing plastic surgery, LOL, let alone having to *do* it. Guess that's pretty solid motivation for getting off my butt and starting to walk even though I still have about 10 days to go before my surgery. Thanks, Angela!
GrammyRN is offline   Reply With Quote