Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default supplements?

Does anyone take supplements? I take a multi-vitamin, B50 complex, cranberry pills (I am very prone to UTI's), occasionally I take zinc. My husbands grandmother thinks we need to start taking garlic pills. She is a supplement freak, she believes every news story on the news about supplements. (I know that I need to be careful when mixing supplements everything I take is on doctors advice) I was just wondering what other people take?
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #2  

A regular once a day multi-vit is the only real routine for me.
Occasionally I will take fiber, and once in a while calcium.

As a vegetarian I should be supplementing more - but so far this is what I do regularly.
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

a multi vitiam and calcium daily - once and a while I take iron
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I take a multi vitamin, calcium with extra vitamin D (doctor's orders), fish oil supplements (heart disease runs in my family) and psyllium (because dieting constipates me!!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #5  

I would just say calcium and a multi like KTna. But you really only need a multi-vitamin if you are not getting the nutrients from your food (which you should be doing). Your body will absorb vitamins and minerals from food much better than from vitamin pills so be careful you aren't wasting your money! Only if whole food groups are being cut from your diet (which should never happen) should you be taking supplements. Many people will swear that taking things like vitamin c when they feel a cold come on helps a lot, but if you ask anyone who has scientifically researched this, or any nutritionist, they will tell you that there is no direct coorelation between these two things. As long as you are getting the needed amount from your foods, you should be ok. If you take more, the water soluable vitamins will just be cleaned out by your kidneys and peed out. Waste of money! And too many fat soluable vitamins can be dangerous. So buyer be ware, but in the end it is up to you what you spend your money on.

sorry that was so long..
littleleaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I take calcuim and psyllium
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 130/103/107

Height: 5'3"

I take a high potency multi vitamin, omega 3 supplements, biotin, vitamin B complex and I plan on taking calcium.
LittlePaperStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I only take a multivitamin with iron in it, and calcium supplement. Other than that-I just eat well. Garlic supplements are not necessary if you eat garlic in your diet a couple times a week...just as taking fish oil supplements are not necessary if you eat tuna or salmon twice a week, and so on and so forth.
Basically-if your diet is right-you don't need anything as far as "vitamins" go.

There are some supplements that I do take occasionally for a specific purpose-but not as an every day supplement-for instance I took extra iron on the advice of my doctor for a few weeks after my son's birth because I lose more blood than average and had low blood pressure, I take fenugreek (an herb) when my baby goes through a growth spurt (I am nursing, and it helps with increasing milk production) or I might take echinacia (sp?) when I have a cold...but I really don't think that a ton of supplements DAILY are necessary.

Even fiber supplements are not necessary-even while dieting-if you are making the proper food choices and drinking enough water. Small tweaks in your diet like eating a cup of strawberries instead of a banana (double the fiber) or choosing oatmeal instead of toast-can double your fiber intake.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote