Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #1  
I'm ready to make changes

S/C/G: 175/175/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Starting Over . . . Again

Hello everyone,

I did it! I finally made "the decision" to begin again. I'm so ready to get in shape and finally have the body I know I can have if I just want it badly enough. I'm a sugarhaulic . . . so my challenge to myself is to abstain from eating and drinking sugar. I'm also doing 1-1/2 hour workout three days a week. My christmas gift to me will be to happy and proud to look into the mirror (with or without clothes!) Wish me luck.
noodlesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations on your decision! You won't regret it. I, like you, am also a sugarholic. I have the rotten teeth (and missing ones) to prove it. I cut way back on all things sugary last April and have lost over 50 pounds. Quite frankly that is the main reason I am losing weight. I've learned ice cream with chocolate syrup is probably not the best breakfast and that I should order the entree before the dessert, LOL That used to get my hubby frustrated! I would always eat the dessert first and if I had any room left over I would consider tasting the veggies and meat. Good luck on your new lifestyle and drop by often for support!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #3  

Congratulations to you on your decision. I have just started over too. I joined weight watchers again and I plan to stick to it. Like you two I am also a sugarholic. I can eat bags and bags of candy. I finally got frustrated enough about my weight and threw lots of bags of candy in the trash yesterday and have not looked back.
littlebumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Good luck to you - I'm a sugaraholic too. The best thing I ever did was cold turkey on sugar/sugary foods.

Based on my own experiences, the best thing I can say is - figure out why you have to start again. What happened last time that you couldn't stick to? Diet too restrictive, too hard to maintain? Trouble fitting exercise into your life? Binging? Lack of motivation? Figuring out why I kept failing and concentrating on long term success was key for me the last time.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #5  

Thanks TamiL and Littlebumblebee. It's nice to know that I'm not all alone.
So far I've abstained from my no no's since Monday. Every time I see or smell sweets, or think about having a drink I just repeat to myself, "I don't want it, I don't need it, I'll not have it." I do feel a little ancy at times . . . that's why I'm so glad you are here. If I just can't stand it anylonger and starting thinking I'll eat/drink "my wrong things", then I come check out the forum to see what's going on. It gets my mind off what I WAS thinking and the urge goes away. It's wonderful . . . so far. The last time I "went abstenant" it was only for 21 days, but I made it over 40 anyway. I KNOW I can do that again. I'm hoping I can maintain it until I get to the size/shape I REALLY want to be. Maybe then, I'll be able to have the self control to just have a little instead of the whole darn thing. Knowwhatamean, Vern?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My body knows no self control with sugar or white flower products. If I eat any, I immediately want more. I just say "I don't eat that." I know there are a lot of people here who are big fans of moderation and having little treats in moderation, I had to figure out what I could eat in moderation. Peanut butter? Sure. Red wine? Sure. A cookie? No way. Cold cereal? I would eat the entire box.

Moderation does not work for me, I had to say "I don't eat that anymore." Making it so simple, so black and white really worked for me. If I put an Oreo in my mouth, I immediately wanted to cram another Oreo in before the first Oreo was gone. It's easier for me just to not eat the first Oreo. I don't think it's a will power thing necessarily, our bodies are hard wired to love quick energy foods like sugar. From a species survival stand point, it makes perfect sense. My body hasn't caught up to the fact that I'm a modern woman, living in a life of desk jobs, elevators and brimming grocery stores. My body thinks I'm a starving prehistoric cave woman and reacts to sugar accordingly!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #7  

I was posting the same time you were, Glory87, and I didn't see your first note. Thank you so much for sharing your story and photos! I'm inspired NOW. There was a little part of me that really didn't believe I could achieve my goal. I've been fighting weight gain for 23 years (first baby). I'd almost just thrown in the towel until a few days ago. I've been faithfully working out for the last 2 months with no siginificant change in my weight up and down 5 lbs every time I checked. It was drivine me crazy! Then one day like a brick upside my head the thought came back about abstinence.

You are absolutely RIGHT. For me, abstinence is the only solution. I think that's what happened to me back in April/May??? I maintained abstinence from sugar for over 40 days, but had no changes - of coarse I felt better, but I was not working out. Then I started the moderation game, and started working out - and again, no changes. Now I am conveninced that as long as I maintain the abstenince and do the "work" outs, I'll see a change. I'm so excited. Your photos are really helpful! Thank you for the inspiration to KEEP GOING!!!!