Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #1  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

Default Stalling? Opinions, PLEASE!

I was averaging a two pound loss every week for a couple of months. I am now settled into a routine that seems reasonable, with just under 1500 calories a day. I don't exercise enough, about twice a week on my bike, an hour each time.

Anyway, this month it seemed like my weight loss has been going really slow. I dropped 3 or so pounds this month, but I'm back up to 188 according to the scale today. (I just won't change my ticker... I don't want to believe it's real.)

My measurements do show that I am still getting smaller. Should I just stay the course for now? I really don't want to cut back my calories much more, since then I wouldn't have any place to go as I get smaller.

I would really like to hear from other people about my size, or have been my size. Does 1500 calories seem reasonable? Was anyone losing on 1500 calories at about my size? Am I just being too impatient?
NewDay4MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #2  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

1500 calories is a very reasonable amount. Also, a 3lb loss for the past 3 weeks of September is very reasonable too! That's 1lb a week which is within the normal range of healthy weight loss. If you've been eating 1500 calories a day it is very doubtful that you could put those 3lbs back on, so it is probably just water weight or food you have recently eaten or something like that. Your measurements are getting smaller and that is a much better gauge of how you're doing.
If you're worried about calories, you could experiment a little with it, maybe have a bit more or a bit less for a few days. I don't know if it's true but a lot of people say that if your calories are too low, you won't lose as much. I do think it's true that your body gets used to what you consistently give it, so sometimes it might be effective to change it up and eat a bit more.
But just to reiterate, 1 lb a week of loss is a good rate!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

My suggestions would be to zig-zag your calories make them high one day, say 1800 or so then 1400 the next to get an average of 1500 throught the week, this is one way to keep your body guessing... you said that you havn't been exercising a lot so I would up the ante on your exercising. Make it more challenging, walk instead of biking, increase the intensity in your workouts by doing intervals and doing hills on your bike or your walks. Start weight training the more muscle you have the more calories you burn standing still...

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Ilene about increasing the exercise. I recently joined the "Y" and the trainer there said 4-5 times a week to support weight loss.

You didn't say how old you are. I'm older and I don't lose weight much on 1500 cals. I have to drop it closer to 1200. So, it depends on your metabolism. Maybe try increasing your exercise before dropping cals, though.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'm at your weight now and losing on around 1800/day with regular (about daily) exercise. I'm not losing fast, about a pound a week.

Sounds like you're doing things right! The scale moving on average, a pound a week (give or take) AND measurements getting smaller? It doesn't get better than that!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote