Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #1  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Default Need Help Clearing My Head!!

I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just jump in.

I have a very loving husband; tomorrow is our 19th anniversary! My problem is this: I've known for quite some time how overweight I am. Call it denial. Call it being oblivious. Call it not facing facts. They're all true! With me, however, when I make up my mind, it's made up. It took a dreadful doctor appointment for me to open my eyes, but now they are OPEN WIDE!

DH could stand to lose some weight as well. Overall he is healthier than me in someways, but not in others. He takes meds for BP, high cholesterol, and acid reflux. He does work out, but also indulges, know what I mean? I, on the other hand, freaked when the dr. said she was going to put me on BP meds if I didn't make some changes. I don't take any other meds. I hadn't worked out since I was 19 or 20. DH's stamina and abilities far exceeded mine, but that was about it.

On to the issue I'm having. I started counting points before I even got my kit in the mail. I've been faithful to it since that day, and faithfully walking my 2 miles per day, no matter what else is going on. I made a total commitment to ME. About a week after I started, DH comes home with a bottle of Hydroxycut. I wanted to scream! I was weighing the pros and cons of $12 per week for a meeting, and he goes and plops down $40 for a bottle of pills without a second thought. Additionally, he doesn't want to discuss WW. That's fine. What's not fine, IMHO, is that he isn't LEARNING anything. He takes his pill, therefore eats less at dinner or whatever meal. Yippee. If he doesn't take the pill, he eats his normal amount. Nothing accomplished! He's not learning better choices or portion control. His stomach is his guide on portion control! I've noticed that my stomach has shrunk. I no longer need as much food to feel satisfied or full. He's not getting the benefit of his stomach shrinking....he's eating less because the fiber in the pill filled up 1/2 of his stomach before he started eating.

I know I'm ranting and raving, and I'm not sure what these feelings are! Am I jealous because he's doing a quick fix? Maybe. Am I concerned that he'll just gain it back because he hasn't made any real changes? I think so! I DON"T KNOW! For some reason, though, it just makes me aggrivated every time I see him take that darn pill!

OK, so it's all on paper (or screen ) now. Got any advice?
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #2  

You are doing this for you. Concentrate on your successes and be a role model for him about how to do this the right way. Cook fantastic low points food and enjoy it together. Whatever you do, don't compare your losses with his. Men lose weight faster than we do every time. It isn't fair, but life isn't often fair, is it?

Stay on your own path. Step by step become the healther person you want to be for the rest of your life. Good luck!
ensoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #3  
Opulent

There is fiber in Hydroxycut? Really? Enough to fill 1/2 his stomach? Wierd!

I know it has guarana and other things that shouldn't be randomly taken by people with his conditions.

Does his Doctor know he is taking this? There could be a negative interaction between all the meds he takes and Hydroxycut.

Sorry you are frustrated and congrats on your Anniversary! Maybe you could ask that, to celebrate looking forward to another 19 years together, you both discuss ways to be healthier.

Best of luck!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/250/160

Height: 5ft.5"

That stuff is dangerous with his meds!! He needs to talk to the Doctor. You are doing it the right way. As most dieter's who has had any success, steady and slow that's the healthiest way because you make life time changes and the weight will stay off!! I went 3 months with out any weight loss but, I gave up my pepsi addiction, procced foods, and a lot of bad carbs and now the weight is starting to come off, I just want steady progress even if it's slow. HAppy anniversary! My 20th is Oct.25th.
shoots-alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

That's really frustrating! My husband is overweight too, and I learned that there was nothing I could say to make him lose weight... his way, my way or anyway.

Hopefully, over time, you can be a role model for him -- that's sort of what happened with my husband!

In the meantime, ask that he talk to his doctor about the med interaction!! It could be dangerous!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #6  
Kelly M

Thank you all for the support! I honestly hadn't even considered the drug interaction that he may have. I just know that for some reason I'm angry with him for taking those pills. I haven't seen them for a couple days now, so hopefully he's out of them! I know that he has a check up scheduled for next week, so I'll strongly urge him to talk to his doctor about the possible side effects of the hydroxycut. He has a hard time occasionally accepting that I may know more about something than him....he's not rude, just denial! He does, however, put a lot of faith in his m.d.. So, I think I'll just encourage him to speak to the doc, and remove this from my plate!

Thanks again, and have a good day, all of you!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:04 AM   #7  
I restore Teeth.

Kelly,

I have once really, really wanted to take the pills. I have taken fad diet pills, and they work the first week as a booster, but in the long term, I HAD TO let go of them. Why? Well, some of them caused HEART PAIN, and to be honest, I wanted to be HEALTHY more than I wanted to be thin. I always wanted to cheat so badly, not to depend on myself, but you know what? It's all about control and discipline, and I don't need a PILL to control my appetite. Otherwise, how will you keep it a lifestyle? You can't just pop a pill each time you face a problem. Don't worry, you'll feel better about your hard earned weight-loss when you get there..
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #8  
Kelly M

Thanks, veggielover! Any you're right! I do feel good! Every time I get on the scale and it's lower than it was that day at the doctor, and lower than it was the week before (I'm forcing myself to only weigh once weekly) I feel such an accomplishment! I'm proud of ME, and I'm coming first. I even used a line I read somewhere on my 16 year old son last night....he asked something and I told him "You're first on my list, right AFTER me!". He actually stood back and thought about that for a moment, and then said "Good for you, Mom, that's fabulous! You do need to come first with you!" Let me tell you, I was impressed. He always amazes me that he's so much older than his age....

I've never considered taking the pills, I just wish DH wouldn't do it either. I want him to feel what I've been feeling these last several weeks!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Quote:
I just wish DH wouldn't do it either. I want him to feel what I've been feeling these last several weeks!
why NOT tell him? If done in a loving manner and not accusatory... do you think he would accept what you have to say?? At least listen to your reasons?

Last edited by Heather; 09-12-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote