Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #1  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Hernia

I wasn't sure where this post should go, but I figured 'support' is the most broad subject, so here I am.

2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with an incisional hernia. I see the surgeon tomorrow for my consult. I am really bummed out about this .... I had to stop working out, and I have been eating out of control lately. I am terrified I am going to gain a ton of weight back, and I am so critical when it comes to myself, I really hate my body. I am afraid I will gain weight, but at the same time, I am eating the food to comfort myself.

I guess maybe I just needed to vent. Any suggestions on getting through surgery or a period with no exercise?

Thank you,

Kelly
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #2  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

You need to be gentle with yourself after the surgery and follow your doctor's orders to a "T" so that you don't open the incision.

You'll have plenty of opportunity to start exercising again when you're fully recovered. Be sure not to overdo it in an attempt to 'catch up' with your exercise.

You say that you hate your body - but I see that you have lost over 100 lbs. That's a fantastic achievement. We need to learn to love and cherish our bodies whatever shape they are in - they're the only ones we have, after all! Our bodies work so hard getting us around, digesting our food, working, playing, etc., etc. Only airbrushed models look perfect on the outside.

I hope your surgery goes well and that you're soon back on track.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Work on not stress eating. It will give you something to have control over in a time you probably feel a little out of control. Don't worry too much about the excercise. Above all focus on healing and feeling healthy in general. Cut yourself some leeway. The important thing is YOU.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Kelly,

I'm so sorry to hear about your hernia. I'm sure it must be causing you a lot of stress.

When you go to your consult, can you ask the surgeon if they have a physical therapist that he could refer you to? I would think a physical therapist could come up with some kind of exercise program that would be safe for you to do until the hernia heals completely. After all, they deal with injuries and people who are convalescing all the time.

And as penpal said, you have lost over 100 pounds and that is an accomplishment that anyone would be proud of. Obviously you have a lot of grit and determination. Maybe it would help to see a counselor to work on learning to be less critical of yourself?

We are all pulling for you *hugs*
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote