Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Is FitDay, sometimes, wrong?

Here's my lunch :
4 thin slices turkey breast
2 thin slices cheddar cheese
2 thin slices lorraine cheese

1 1/3 oz raspberries
1 1/3 oz blackberries
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 - 2/3 cup granola
1/5 cup soy milk

FitDay says this is 800 calories. This filled me up, but how could is be sooo much?!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #2  
Meg

Off the top of my head, I'd say it's the granola. Even though granola has a reputation of being a 'healthy' food, it's really one of most calorie dense foods on the planet. It's often loaded with fat and sugar and I think it's about 200 calories for a half cup. I just won't keep it in the house because I can't keep my portions tiny enough to justify eating it. But it sure is delicious!

Cheese would come in second - it's about 100 calories for an ounce, so it depends on how big your slices were.

Without the cheese and granola, your calories would probably be a third or maybe a half of what they actually are. Wow! Isn't it amazing the difference a few food choices make?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #3  
LLV

Yep, I agree with Meg, the cheese and the granola are gonna pack on the calories real quick.

You can get so much more food for that amount of calories. 2 measely slices of cheddar cheese is going to be close to 200 calories. Add to that 2 slices of the other cheese, even more. 4 slices of cheese is going to be close to 400 calories. 1/2 cup of granola (you didn't specify whether or not it was low fat or if it contained raisins) is at least 200 calories. So you've got close to 600 calories in the cheese and granola alone.

Also, cheese is high in fat, unless you buy the reduced fat or fat-free.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

You're assuming that each slice of cheese was 1 ounce? (It wasn't, btw)

I generally trust FitDay with my mind, body and soul...however...I went on another site that said cheddar was lower than FitDay said it was.

The granola was a fairly clean variety. There wasn't much in it besides itself and a little bit of juice to sweeten it. The granola was 180 cals.

I just can't believe that that little amount racks it up so fast. Even if the cheese and turkey racked up 400, that still only 580. How does rice milk and fruit equate to 220 calories?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Things vary by brands. I check the back of my package before I enter it. If it is close, I accept Fitday (out of convience). If it isn't I customize it. It's normal for brands to vary widely.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #6  

You should be able to see the calorie breakdown for each food.

Can you point us to your Fitday page or maybe copy in the portion sizes and calories line by line for each food?

I'm guessing you made a typo, maybe selecting the wrong portion size on something. For example, you said 1 thin slice of cheese, and you said we were assuming it was 1 ounce. What portion size did you select on Fitday?

But to answer your question, I think Fitday is like anything else and can be wrong. I've custom-entered food items when they've differed too much from Fitday's amounts. Usually this is for things with labels, but they can be wrong on fresh foods, I'm sure.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

For the turkey, cheese, and granola, I would go with whatever the package says rather than what Fitday says. In fact, in general, I always go with the packaging over any of the various online sources. I figure the manufacturer knows what they put into their food better than the online sources so the package is more reliable (it's all just an estimate anyway). So if the package says fewer calories than fitday does, I'd go with what the package says.

According to calorieking.com, the berries are about 80 calories total (I'm rounding to 20 calories each for the raspberries and blackberries, 40 calories for the blueberries). Fruit has a lot of suger in it, so it can sometimes by higher in calories than you'd expect, but berries are usually low in calories as compared to other fruits.

The soy milk is a big unknown. The calories in soy milk vary pretty significantly depending on whether it is sweetened or unsweetened, non-fat, fortified or unfortified, and the brand (different companies use different recipes, amounts of sweetener, etc.). So I would go with whatever the soy milk package says, not what Fitday says.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
You're assuming that each slice of cheese was 1 ounce? (It wasn't, btw)
Well honey, I don't know, you didn't say. So yes, I was assuming the cheese was 1 ounce.

I agree with Barbara, go with the nutrition information on the package. Customize your foods in fitday. I've got a list a mile long of customized foods because I enter everything from the package info. It doesn't necessarily mean fitday is wrong, they're just going with estimates.

If you know how many calories was in the cheese and the granola, then enter them into fitday as customized foods and go with that. Just like I estimated, that's all fitday can do.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #9  
Paleo-ish Girl

I didn't mean to see agressive. I've been working hard to make better decisions, and that threw me off guard. I was also posting from work and that was just...a bad time.

Thanks for your responses and patience.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #10  
hara hachi bu

I tend to manually enter a lot of foods, too. I also find myself weighing and measuring things that pack a punch with calories, like cheese, fatty meats, etc. A few years back I spent about $30 on a digital scale, and it's been very enlightening to see what *I* thought one ounce of cheese looked like versus what actually was.

I had to eradicate granola from my life, too, unfortunately!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
I didn't mean to see agressive. I've been working hard to make better decisions, and that threw me off guard. I was also posting from work and that was just...a bad time.
Well your thingie over there does say you're always grumpy.

lol