Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:42 PM   #1  

Default 5th year in High School

In September I will begin my 5th year teaching at the high school level. Not only do I teach that level, but I teach students with behavioral difficulties...they have no impulse control and at times little respect for anyone....Often times I have been asked (at meetings, by other overweight people) if my weight becomes a target for my students when they are angry and I have to honestly answer....NEVER.....

I do not allow them the opportunity...One of my opening day discussions is always about respect and I end it with this, " I already know I am fat...disrespecting me by trying to draw attention to it WILL NOT change how much I care and respect you nor will it get me to break into tears and fall apart...after all these years being FAT, I don't even blush...however tonight when I go home...I may have to tell my family how very much you hurt me." Not once in the 5 years has my weight been a factor with these kids...ohh...they yell and holler...but letting them know day one...really seems to help....I also use my weight with humor during the year so they know that I feel ok about who I am...countless students that are overweight have mentioned how much they like that I do that...and several parents have requested me for their overweight child....

I just thought I would share for anyone that might be considering the Jr or SR high school ages as a career...don't let the weight stop you...
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #2  
Slow and Steady

Cyclone, what a great approach to put it all up front at the beginning of the year. You sound like a terrific teacher. Thank you for doing the job well.
Quirky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:42 AM   #3  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

You sound like a great teacher
Blueyedblond is offline   Reply With Quote