Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/183/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Did you ever HATE pictures????

Well, yesterday DH, and I and 2 of my sisters went to Ocean City, NJ board walk for some FUN. I am sticking strong with my new South Beach plan (which was NOT easy on the boardwalk)

We took some pictures of all the fun....and while they are still fun memories I can't get over how FAT FAT FAT I look in the pictures. I of course haven't said a word because everyone will say I look fine and not be silly. But, I know I don't. It only makes it worse that DH is SOOOOOOOOO skinny so I look like a freaking blimp next to him, all the time! (he's 5' 7" and MAYBE 145). I feel so frustrated, and ugly and FAT. I'm trying to stay motivated, I did get on the scale this morning and the first pound has come off (that's my weight AFTER breakfast!) I know it's one pound at a time....I just really do want to enjoy pictures with my family. And, I want to have another baby. There's one reason I haven't gotten pregnant yet- this darn weight.

Sorry to ramble. But, I needed to talk, usually feeling like this sends me into a tailspin....but it's nice to have a place to vent it out.
brooke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Yes. In fact I find it hard to find "before" pictures because I avoided the camera so much. One of the big turning points for me was an event I went to in October 2004 when I weighed around 160 lbs. I was in a TON of pictures - posing even! I looked okay to me, I couldn't believe it. That was when I first started noticing my cheekbones, I stared at those pictures over and over again.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #3  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I always notice my double chin in my pictures and how my one eye is smaller than the other because of the way I smile and it's really discouraging to see that fat. I don't know about anyone else but mine looks like I could slice it off and see the thin face that I want. Oh well, I just work at it now but having lost the 9 lbs I have, I can tell you that I enjoy taking pictures now (a little more than I used to anyway). I like seeing that my jawline is appearing and the second chin is receeding. Gives me motivation to say no to those turkey hotdogs...hehe.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I absolutely hate my before pictures and the doctors office has a worse one that I can't get. They have to keep it with my chart. My current pic's aren't too great. I have my head tilted too far trying to cover up the double chin that is no longer there. I now like to take a whole roll of film and try to get a few decent pic's. I didn't think I was as big as I really was til I saw the pic's.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/155/125

brooke26,
I recently went on vacation with my family and took a ton of pictures. The few of them that I was in (I tried to avoid the camera as much as possible!) almost made me cry. I looked so THICK and out of shape and unhappy.
And this was AFTER I lost 12 pounds during phase 1 of South Beach!!!!
So, I totally understand how you feel about hating pictures! And yes, everyone told me I looked fine in the pictures when I started ranting about them. This whole diet thing would've gone a lot easier if my hubby wouldn't always tell me I look fine the way I am. I probably would have done this a long time ago!!!
Well keep it up, and if it helps, put those pics all around your house as a reminder that you don't want to look like that anymore. It works for me, it's great motivation!
Take Care...
4boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Yeah, count me in on the picture hating party. Just had a big 4th of July to-do with friends/family, and in every single picture, I look like a blimp. One picture of me and my best friend and her granddaughter - my thighs look like they weigh about 50 pounds a piece! Not only disheartennig, but it literally pisses me off, because I was not blimpy last summer! Grrr... argh! Re-injuring my shoulder & losing so much gym time really hurt me. Gaining 25 pounds in 4 months after I'd worked so hard all summer to lose it.... just a slap in my own face.

AND... It hurts in more ways than one. Not just the extra pounds (ugly, unhealthy, and unbearable!) but that interrupted gym time has not been easy to get back to. I was going 4-5 days a week, faithfully! - but now it seems I can barely squeeze in 2-3 days.

But anyway, yeah, pictures just remind me that OH YEAH, I'M FAT ALRIGHT, even tho many people say "you don't look like you weigh that much".... yeah, right. Pictures don't lie. But there is one silver lining in this black cloud... it makes me want to work harder at getting this weight off. So, in a way, it's a "good thing".... ???
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #7  

I'm glad to hear other people hate their pictures....and I will use it as motivation to work harder. I WANT to have pictures I look good in and want to put them in albums....

Hating the pictures so much inspired an extra 10 minutes of cardio today at the gym! Hooray, and phase 1 has been able to stick for today with NOO problems.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/195/150

Height: 5ft.7 inches

When I saw this thread I just had to reply. I know exactly how you all feel. The hardest part is like beach patrol said "pictures don't lie". I can look at myself in the mirror and convince myself.. "oh your not that fat". But when you see a picture of yourself taken by someone...you can't lie to yourself. It's right there in front of you "HI I'M WHAT YOU REALLY LOOK LIKE". Pictures can either make you feel sorry for yourself, or make you vow to yourself that you will no longer be unhappy. LETS VOW TO CHANGE OURSELVES!
UnfinishedBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Please also keep in mind that we all tend to be highly self-critical. AND, often we have distorted body images - I know that I took before pictures at 243, and another set at 193 lbs, in the same clothes in the same location, with the same camera. I personally can't see ANY difference in my shape. I am serious. I can't see any improvement whatsoever. My husband sees a HUGE difference, and thinks I look pretty rocking at my current weight of 175. I look at current photos and see the exact same image that I had at 243. This is no joke. Talk about depressing, and wanting to give up! Obviously, what I clearly have is a distorted body image - I MUST look better now that I did at 243, some 68 lbs ago! So, I rely on clothing size primarily, and then my weight in numbers. As for photos, well, I'll be the one in the back holding something in front of me...
p.s. please don't wait to have another baby - excess weight isn't permanent and pregnancy weight gain can be controlled, but waiting too long to have another baby may become an unintentional permanent decision...
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

I use to hate my pictures. I have not taken any in quite some time but for the first time I am anxious to start taking pictures again because I finally like how I look. I know 20 lbs more and I will be thrilled with how I look.

Nikki
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 161/156/140

Height: 5'10ish

I know how you feel. Recently my husband and I went to the beach w/o the kids and took a lot of pictures. I look fat in all of them! My arm in one looks huge. My husband and I are the same height so I look bigger than him and I hate that! Everytime I feel like eating something not good for me I just think about those pictures. I don't want to look and feel like this anymore! I have a 2 year old and a 9 week old and I want to feel good about myself not just for me, but for them too. I tend to be a lot more fun when I feel good about myself, I want to be a fun happy mom, not a depressed one. Anyway, hang in there, we're all there with you!!
JamieY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #12  

The most gratifying thing to see if new pics of yourself after you've lost weight....Use your fat picture in front of the fridge and a skinny picture when you wake up. And remember, no one see's you the way you do. You do look fine in that pic, but I understand the frustration.
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I never used to hate pictures because I never saw myself as fat. I knew I was big but I was happy. I didn't start HATING pictures until I became aware of how fat I was and that wasn't until I got serious about losing weight.

Most of my life (that I can remember) I was about 170, even at 215 I didn't mind until I finally clued in as to how fat I had actually become! I mean I didn't always like pictures, but I never minded having them taken but now, I am like KEEP THAT CAMERA AWAY! At the same time, I don't mind being fat anymore (now that the weigh is coming off). I just smile and think "not for long."
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #14  

Wait......hold on.......do you mean to say that there are people that actually LIKE pictures?????? Woah! What a concept!
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #15  

I did like pictures of myself before DH and I got married, love my wedding pictures, I pretty much am okay with all pictures up until recent ones (since my baby was born) I don't want to be in the pictures, but I don't want to not be in them either! Does that make sense??

I am going to keep some pictures of "old" me on the fridge for motivation....great idea!