Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #1  
Thin taste better

S/C/G: 230/215/170

Height: 5ft

Default To take or not to take

My doctor prescribed me a three month supply of phentermine to take to help with my craving and hunger

She talked to me about the dos and don'ts of taking this medication, and encouraged me to continue to exercise and to eat properly. I was very excited at first, I have friends and family members who have taken the pill and say it really helped control their appetite they have also lost a good amount of weight, so I know they work but now that I have the pills in my hands I am nervous .

I afraid they may not work for me . I know losing weight is hard work and you have to put the work in to appreciate the results. I am not looking for a magic pill or quick fix just something to help with my journey along the way.
sweettay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

You have to decide what is best for you. No one here can tell you want to do. Some people need help and others don't. Just keep in mind that once you stop taking the pills you may start getting cravings again or feel hungry.

I suggest water, I drink 6+ liters a day and find that helps keep me full even if only for a short period of time. Break up your meals and eat smallers ones. Don't be afaird to have a snack. Just as long as you stick to your plan it doesn't matter how often or when you eat.

Are you exercising lots? I find after I exercise I am STARVING. I don't know if there is any pill out there that can help me with that, haha.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I just ate to control my appetite. I decided right from the beginning that I don't like being hungry and I wasn't going to be hungry. I stocked up on lots of fruits and vegetables to have on hand for snacks and planned meals every 2 hours so that I wouldn't be hungry. I made sure I ate whole foods, lots of fiber, lots of protein and I just never had a problem with hunger.

Good luck to you!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #4  

It sounds like you're hesitating for two reasons:

1. I get the sense that you think it's not quite moral to get help with your appetite. Overeating is not a moral failure, and taking something that'll help isn't, either.

2. You're afraid they might not work for you. If they don't, then you're just back where you started, right? Maybe it'll be for you like it was for me: They worked for a brief time, then not any more. But for that brief time, you'll know what it's like to not be a slave to your appetite, and that's a wonderful feeling! it can be like training wheels on a bike, where once it stops working, you've got the momentum (and a shrunken tummy) and can keep on going all by yourself.
Or they may work for you long term. Take advantage of it!

IMO, the only reason not to take them is the slight but very real health risk -- I forget what the condition is, but I think it has to do with blood vessels going to your lungs. That is a decision you have to make for yourself.

But if you're very overweight, you're already risking your health, so you may as well give them a try. Try them for one week. I knew by the first day that they worked (and five days later, they stopped working for me), but some people say it takes several days for them to kick in.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena1383
IMO, the only reason not to take them is the slight but very real health risk -- I forget what the condition is, but I think it has to do with blood vessels going to your lungs. That is a decision you have to make for yourself.
Yes, too many health risks.

She doesn't mention what her current weight is, but it shows she has 38 pounds left to lose. I don't know if that's a mini-goal or an ultimate goal, but 38 pounds is NOT worth risking your health over.

Sure, she can try them. But don't forget that Phentermine is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on this medication, and withdrawal effects may occur if you stop taking it suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. One week can cause a person to become dependent.

Sorry, but to me, that's not worth it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #6  
GmaTo8

Since you asked, don't do it. Here's a link from the Does it Work section here at 3fc, so you can see why I say that:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81701
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the ladies who are urging you not to take the pills. There are many diet pills that have been on the market (prescription and over the counter) that have had to be removed because of people having health issues with them.
I personally, cannot take a chance with any diet pill because I have the tendency towards rapid abnormal heart palpitations when I take something like that. It isn't worth the risk. Some users don't feel any obvious side affects when they first start taking something, and they rear their ugly heads later instead.
I see in your tracker that you have already been successful in losing part of your weight WITHOUT taking these pills. I think that proves that you CAN do this without taking something that could possibly harm your health.
In my opinion, the goal is not just be thin, or to hit a certain weight goal on the scale-but to be HEALTHY as well. To me, taking diet pills just isn't part of that equation.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do, but you can do this without pills, and given the fact that you are feeling worried enough about it to post about it here, I think you would feel much better about it as well.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #8  

I don't know if I agree.... I started dieting in March and the weight was not comming off very fast no matter what I did. My doctor perscribed them for me about a month and a half ago. Half the time I forget to take them. I have not found them for myself to be adictive. I do get a bit more done and feel a bit more energetic when I do take them. The weight comes off faster even though I am doing the same things I was before I started taking them.
I really do like them. but don't feel addicted by any means
Sluggersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggersmom
I really do like them. but don't feel addicted by any means
Well we're not saying you're addicted, honey, we're just saying that the potential is there.

Like aphil, I too get heart palpitations when I take pills of that sort (believe me, I used to do the diet pill thing - another attempt to lose weight in the past) but I get heart flutters as is is, I don't need pills making it worse.

Again, we're not saying that everyone who takes these pills becomes addicted, nor are we saying they cause health problems for everyone. What we're saying is the potential is there and, for many of us, it's not worth the risk.

I know how hard it is. We all do. But relying on pills doesn't teach you good habits for life. A friend of mine was prescribed something similar (this is where the addictive nature comes in because one can become psychologically dependent on them as well as physically). The pills worked. She lost weight. She stopped taking them. She put weight back on. Now she's on them all the time, she can't and won't give them up. Whether it be only psychological for her or physical or both, she's addicted.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #10  
Eat less, taste more

S/C/G: 179/166/128

Mark me down as another no. Really, why bother...you are doing so well on your own!

If the hunger is the problem then look at ways you can eat more for the same calorie value. Consider how foods will affect your blood sugar and ultimately your hunger levels. Pay attention to how long a snack keeps you full for...if an apple alone doesn't cut it try adding a little peanut butter or some cheese...see if it makes a difference.

With cravings...first consider that you may have deficencies...make sure you are taking a good multivitamin. Secondly consider that it takes time to build new, healthier cravings. Make a game of finding really yummy snacks that are also good for you. I'm in love with apples and peanut butter...just watch the amount of peanut butter.

And finally you have to look at the psychological reasons for hunger and cravings. I know, I know...thats what *everyone* *always* says. This is one that is just beginning to make sense to me. Its one of those things that you can know and yet you don't really *KNOW* it. Really think about your attitude to food, your approach to eating and losing weight. Think about how you treat yourself and what you think you are deserving of.

Taking a pill can't do any of that for you...it would just be a temporary fix and at some point you will have to really create new habits and learn to treat yourself better. Whether you are 220 or 120 the amount of work to do that is the same so might as well just get it out of the way now *while* you are losing the weight instead of *after*.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/163/130

I think there is a up and down side of every medication out there. I have been placed on both Meridia and Phentermine in the past and lost about 15 lbs. The problem with weight loss meds is the second you stop taking it...the weight comes back. I have been more successful going to Weight Watchers and doing it on my own than with the medication. I think most people confuse physician prescribed weight loss meds - you still need to change your eating habits and exercise...because if you don't the weight comes back as quickly as you lost it.
Penngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:31 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am also in the "no" category... I would not take them. As Courtnie said, I drink lots and lots of water, and it has the same effect. And also keep plenty of fruits and veggies around so there is something to eat if I am honestly hungry. IMO they are a health risk, and eventually you have to go off of them and really learn to use self control to control your eating.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #13  

Ok, here's my experience:

Around 1995, I got a prescription from my dr. at the time (Adipex-brand name). I don't remember how much I weighed prior to starting, but at the time I had two toddlers that were born back-to-back, and I was still carrying around that baby weight. I'm guessing around 190 lbs.

Along with the pills, I severely restricted my food intake, and walked religiously on my treadmill. I quickly went to 140 lbs. I took the pills for approx. 6 months, and kept the weight off during that time. But within a year I was back up to my starting weight. This was due solely to the fact that I stopped writing down my daily intake.

At the time, the pills made me very hyper, to the point that later my husband expressed concern over my 'mania'. I however enjoyed the side effect very much, because I tended to be lethargic and depressed, and it was nice to be able to jump up and accomplish things!

Fast forward to January 2005. I was clocking in at 204 lbs. I had just had a hysterectomy a few months prior, and while digging around, the doctor found that I was accumulating fat around my liver. In Jan I made an appt with my family physician, for advice on a sound eating plan (and with the idea that I was going to ask for another prescription for Adipex). I did get the prescription, and this time, I didn't have the hyper feeling, but I did get a nice boost on the diet. So coupled with the diet plan that the dr. gave me (based on the American Diabetes Association diet), the pills gave me the headstart I needed. After three months I weaned myself off them, and used determination alone to help me. From Jan to Feb I lost 25 lbs, and Feb to Mar another 15. Without the pills, my weight loss slowed down drastically, but I was motivated to continue with my healthy habits.

Ok, long story short....if you decide to take the pills, just monitor your side effects. You might not enjoy the hyper feeling it gives you, or you might. (Your family probably won't) But each person has his/her own individual reaction, and no one can say what will or will not happen. For me, the first time I tried them it was a bust, but not due to the pills. Just due to my not understanding that these were life changes I needed to be making. In 2005, it was the best thing I could have done, because it kickstarted my weight loss, and my determination has kept me going. Today, a little over a year later, I feel so much better about myself and I'm MUCH healthier. I haven't been back to my gynecologist yet (I've been putting off my yearly appt, ), but I'm anxious for him to see the results!
lele is offline   Reply With Quote