Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-19-2006, 01:44 AM   #1  

Default Worried About Dramatic Weight Loss

Hi, I am very worried about my husbands weightloss. He has lost something like 30 kilograms in 3 months, and I kept asking how he did it, but he just would say, "I dont know?".

I was worried he had cancer or something, until i found a link in his browser bookmarks which proved for me that he has been taking PHENTERMINE!

My question is this: Is this safe????????

Also is it addictive. I will admit he looks terrific, I am just worried about the consequences of such rapid weight loss!
Chrissy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:27 AM   #2  

all posted on drugs.com...

PHENTERMINE

Generic Name: phentermine (FEN ter meen)
Brand Names: Adipex-P, Fastin, Ionamin, Obenix, Obephen, Oby-Cap, Oby-Trim, Panshape M, Phentercot, Phentride, Pro-Fast HS, Pro-Fast SA, Pro-Fast SR, Teramine, Zantryl

What is the most important information I should know about phentermine?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Phentermine may cause dizziness, blurred vision, or restlessness, and it may hide the symptoms of extreme tiredness. If you experience these effects, avoid hazardous activities.
• Phentermine is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on this medication, and withdrawal effects may occur if you stop taking it suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Talk to your doctor about stopping this medication gradually.
• Do not crush, chew or open any "once-daily" phentermine tablets or capsules. Swallow them whole.

What is phentermine?
• Phentermine is a sympathomimetic amine, which is similar to an amphetamine. It is also known as an "anorectic" or "anorexigenic" drug. Phentermine stimulates the central nervous system (nerves and brain), which increases your heart rate and blood pressure and decreases your appetite.
• Phentermine is used as a short-term supplement to diet and exercise in the treatment of obesity.
• Phentermine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Who should not take phentermine?
• You cannot take phentermine if you
· have heart disease or high blood pressure;
· have arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries);
· have glaucoma;
· have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), or phenelzine (Nardil) in the last 14 days; or
· have a history of drug or alcohol abuse.
• Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have
· problems with your thyroid,
· an anxiety disorder,
· epilepsy or another seizure disorder, or
· diabetes.
• You may not be able to take phentermine, or you may require a lower dose or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
• It is not known whether phentermine will harm an unborn baby. Do not take phentermine without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
• It is also not known whether phentermine passes into breast milk. Do not take phentermine without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

How should I take phentermine?
• Take phentermine exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
• Take each dose with a full glass of water.
• Phentermine is usually taken once or twice a day before a meal on an empty stomach.
• Do not take phentermine in the evening because it may cause insomnia.
• Do not crush, chew or open any "once-daily" phentermine tablets or capsules. Swallow them whole.
• Never take more of this medication than is prescribed for you. Too much phentermine could be very dangerous to your health.
• Store phentermine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
• Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose or if it is already evening, skip the missed dose and take only your next regularly scheduled dose. A dose taken too late in the day will cause insomnia. Do not take a double dose of this medication.

What happens if I overdose?
• Seek emergency medical attention.
• Symptoms of a phentermine overdose include restlessness, tremor, rapid breathing, confusion, hallucinations, panic, aggressiveness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, an irregular heartbeat, and seizures.

What should I avoid while taking phentermine?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Amphetamine may cause dizziness, blurred vision, or restlessness, and it may hide the symptoms of extreme tiredness. If you experience these effects, avoid hazardous activities.
• Do not take phentermine late in the day. A dose taken too late in the day can cause insomnia.

What are the possible side effects of phentermine?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking phentermine and seek emergency medical attention:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· an irregular heartbeat or very high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision); or
· hallucinations, abnormal behavior, or confusion.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take phentermine and talk to your doctor if you experience
· restlessness or tremor,
· nervousness or anxiety,
· headache or dizziness,
· insomnia,
· dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth,
· diarrhea or constipation, or
· impotence or changes in your sex drive.
• Phentermine is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on this medication, and withdrawal effects may occur if you stop taking it suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Talk to your doctor about stopping this medication gradually.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect phentermine?
• You cannot take phentermine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), or phenelzine (Nardil) in the last 14 days.
• Changes in insulin and other diabetes drug therapies may be necessary during treatment with phentermine.
• Phentermine may reduce the effects of guanethidine (Ismelin). This could lead to an increase in blood pressure. Tell your doctor if you are taking guanethidine.
• Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking a tricyclic antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil), amoxapine (Asendin), doxepin (Sinequan), nortriptyline (Pamelor), imipramine (Tofranil), clomipramine (Anafranil), protriptyline (Vivactil), or desipramine (Norpramin). These drugs may decrease the effects of phentermine.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with phentermine. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.
brownsugah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:26 AM   #3  
NEVER again!

S/C/G: 288/288/138

As a teen, I was taking Fen-Phen (which of course was half phentermine). I honestly couldn't feel any difference between taking it and not taking it. I was hungry constantly - even though I was on the adult dosage of the medications.

As for whether or not your husband is taking the medication, why not just ask him? Maybe he isn't taking it but had been considering it, which would explain the store being bookmarked. Not that I condone actively "snooping" but why not check the history for your computer (the little clock icon next to Favorites if you're using Internet Explorer)? See how recent his last visit to that site was - possibly before asking him whether or not he's on the medication?

If he is...wow...that IS a lot of weight loss in such a short time. I don't know how he's managed that. I wish it'd worked that well for me when I was on it!
NFC2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I took the Fen-Phen combination in 1993 and lost 90 lbs. in 7 months. Which is very unhealthy. Later found out that the combination of these drugs has left many people with Aortic Valve disease. When I quit taking the meds, the weight piled back on. Many diet doctors do now prescribe the phentermine with sometimes thyroid medication and a diuretic. I had this combination of meds prescribed for me in 1999 and began passing out at work. I'll never again try a diet pill of any kind. My main symptom with phentermine was confusion. I would ask him and find out if he is taking it and let him know the risks and make his own decision if this is the right thing for him to do.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #5  

Why is he lying to you? I think you have bigger problems here.
chrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #6  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

I knew a woman who died after taking phen-phen. That stuff is dangerous.
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #7  
I restore Teeth.

I wonder why he didn't just tell you? It's a bit suspicious...
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #8  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

My concern would be that he didn't feel he could tell you he if he is taking the PHENTERMINE. Personally, I would ask him.

Another VERY big concern would be if he is buying it on the internet. It is very dangerous to do this. You can check the dea's website for info on the problems with counterfeit drugs being sold. Unless you buy from a reputable pharmacy, with a physician's prescription, you never know what you're getting.

If he is taking the med. please encourage him to do so ONLY with close medical supervision.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #9  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Why not ASK him if he's been taking it? I have links to different products in my browser, but most of them I've never purchased. Often times I just bookmark things for future reference while I do some investigation. Ask him about it, tell him you're concerned.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #10  

This drug (Adipex specifically) was instrumental in getting my weightloss off to a good start. Using it, combined with a variation of the American Diabetes Association diet given to me by my dr., enabled me to be successful as I embarked on this journey. In my case, I felt that I needed the 'push' because I have a long history of being overweight, and had over 60 lbs to lose, plus there was a medical concern about my liver being 'fatty'. I took the drug for 2 months, and then weaned myself off it and continued on with my healthy eating. There was a large weight loss at first (25 lbs the first month, 18 lbs the next), which as you see was well over half of my total. And of course my weight loss tapered off dramatically after I went off the medication. But I have continued to lose, and as you see by my ticker, am about 5 lbs from goal. So from my vantage point, this drug was a wonderful tool that gave me quick results. Now of course, I can vouch for the jittery feeling that it gave me, but that wore off rather quickly. So I just thought I'd speak up and use my own experience to show that, at least for me, it was very worthwhile to use it, and started me off on my weightloss...

EDIT: Oh, and I was under a dr.'s care this entire time, with monthly checkups.
lele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #11  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I think first thing you need to see if he is taking it before jumping to conclusions about it. Sit down and talk to him about it. If you are worried about it, then it needs to be discussed. You may find that he isn't but just has been concidering it.

Men can lose weight sometimes by just changing a few little things. Maybe he doesn't realize that he has changed some things and that is the reason for the weightloss.

Either way you need to talk to each other. Communication is so important to a healthy relationship.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 187/171/130

Height: 5'4"

I'd be more concerned that he seems to be hiding something from you. My DH took phentermine for about three months & lost about 40 lbs. (about 16 kilos). Unfortunately he gained it right back. I didn't agree with him taking it, but atleast we discussed it beforehand. Whatever the outcome, I wish you & your DH the best re: his weight & medicines.
GenreGirl is offline   Reply With Quote