Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #1  
Work it out.

Unhappy This diet made me sick.

Is it possible that I made myself sick? I mean Eating 1200 calories a day and exercising everyday or every other day probably made me sick. I have a fever and a sore throat, my muscles ache, my stomach hurts, but not as much(Thank God), and I had diarrhea. My body isn't use to this. My doctor gave me medicine and I have to take iron pills, because of my anemia. I also have ulcers in my stomach so he gave me more medicine for that too. I need rest, please pray for me. I'm feeling terrible and so depress, but I have some good news I lost 8 more pounds, I am now 269, but I feel like crap. I may take some days off from school and definitely my workout. I'm scared that I may gain some weight back, I asked my doctor for a nutritionist and he told me, I need to take care of my body and my anemia, because that is much more important. :sad:
motivation86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #2  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I honestly don't think that is enough calories for you especially with exercise. I would up them to at least 1600 and higher if you exercise. This will help you feel better as well.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

i don't know what got you sick, but you definitely sound like you need a few days at least of rest. i have a rule where i NEVER exercise if i have a fever.

you are not going to undo all your hard work, so try not to worry about that. your doctor is right-- you need to get back to good health.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I know that when I first started a diet I was very sick, muscle aches, fever, horrible headaches, it was nasssty!! But I was likely going thru withdrawl from sugar/wheat, and I also experienced more trips to the washroom, due to more fibre. But that was just my experience..

I would definitely take some time off from exercise, and up those calories! I weigh 10-20 pounds less than you, and I eat between 1800 up to 2000 some days (altho I keep my fat around 30 grams/day). Take some time, don't exercise! And you'll feel better soon

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #5  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Strange as it may seem, the heavier we are the more calories we need so that our bodies can function properly when we are trying to lose weight. The fine line is to not consume TOO many calories. Like chefbran said, you should probably be consuming at least 1600 calories. You may lose a bit slower, but it won't be so hard on you.

I've done crash diets of 1000 - 1200 calories in the past and my health has always suffered. I think it caused my immune system to weaken and therefore I seemed to catch every 'bug' going around! I also got gallstones because of my ultra-low calorie diet and had my gallbladder removed.

Hope you feel better soon.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #6  
Mel

It sounds like you have some sort of virus. I really don't think that a diet can give you a fever and sore throat. Agreed, you aren't eating enough for your current size with exercise.

Take some rest time- you are sick. But eating HEALTHY foods won't make you sick

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
Strange as it may seem, the heavier we are the more calories we need so that our bodies can function properly
I don't think it sounds strange at all! Makes perfect sense that I would have needed more calories a day when I weighed 195 lbs, I was hauling around a 70 lb backpack every second of the day.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #8  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Yes you need more calories. You should be eating at least 1500 a day with all the exercise you are doing. Sorry that you are sick. You need to take a few days rest and then you can get back in the groove of things.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:00 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree; that is not enough calories for your size and with exercise. My doctor cautioned me against really low calories and said I would lose just as much weight eating a higher amount as with less because too low would kick down my metabolism. So far she has been right on! And I stop losing I will go back to her for advice. It also depends on what you are eating... whole natural foods and the least amount of processed stuff is by far the healthiest.

I understand your doctor's concerns with your anemia, but losing weight IS part of taking care of your body. Can't he give you any better input about that?
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Eating healthy foods will not make you sick. I agree with the others that you're probably not getting enough nutrients for your weight and activity level.

I agree with Mel that it sounds like you picked up some virus. Exercise alone will not give you a virus. However, overdoing exercise when you're not used to it could possibly affect your immune system, making you more susceptible to viruses.

Take some time off to get your health back, continuing to eat a proper amount of healthy foods. When you feel better, start exercising but try starting out slow and gradually increasing the time and intensity.

Hope you feel better!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #11  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I am praying for you that you will make a full recovery. Take care of yourself and yes you do need watch your calorie intake and be sure to consume enough in order to stay healthy. I hope you will be sending some good news our way soon.

Wishing You All The Best
Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 147/141.5/120

Height: 5'3

Oh please, please don't eat 1200 calories a day only. That's seriously not a way to live. My nutritionist told me that's the lowest you should ever go, and it's only recommended for really old ppl who don't move around alot.

It wasn't enough for me when I was around 110 lbs last summer and couldn't take it. Like you, that was all I ate plus I excercised 6/7 days a week. I had headaches for many days in a row, dizzyness, and I would feel like I was gonna faint every time I stood up.

You're not only eating very little but ur also excercising, so ur having what? 800 - 900 calories a day? Speaking from past experience:

1. I messed up really bad because 1200 a day for the rest of my life certainly wasn't enough
2. My metabolism slowed down to a pathetic point
2. Gained all weight back and some more due to said problem

Anyway, you still have the chance to correct your eating. Let's say you up your intake to 1500 calories, and u burn 300 with excercise. You'd still be getting 1200. It's certainly better than before, I guess.
Kelendria_Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

A virus is an actually little being that has to get in to your sustem and be able to multiply. If you have ulcers and anemia and are eating too little and the quality of your food is not good .... you'll be less able to fight the bugs that float around.
Your catching this bug is probably the result of a bad and untimely combination of things. Read up on foods that help with anemia, do what your doctor tells you, eat whole natural foods, drink lots, sleep well and take gentle exercise like walking outside in the Spring weather. You'll feel better soon.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:48 PM   #14  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
eat whole natural foods, drink lots, sleep well and take gentle exercise like walking outside in the Spring weather. You'll feel better soon.
A good prescription for all of us!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:27 PM   #15  

Wow only 1200 calories! I would shrivel and die on that I think! I weight 170 and I eat at least 1800 calories a day. Granted some days I burn off 500 or so excercising (some days only 2 or 3 hundred) but I cant imagine how little food I would get to eat on only 1200 cals.

It may seem strange but I have found that sometimes when I eat very little during the day I dont lose the weight, but when I up my calories a bit I seem to drop the weight faster. I know its weird.

When I first started SBD I went through about 4 days of being sick ot my stomach and feeling tired and sick. I hope you feel better.
Tampaquillowner is offline   Reply With Quote