Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217.8 / 172 / 140

Talking I annoy my roommate with my healthy lifestyle!!

Ok - so my roommate (i only just moved in with her about 2 months ago) - she and i ARE good friends - and we work at the same place (although in different departments) - but we eat lunch together with a few other girls who are our "group"...well, for instance - today at lunch she asked me what I was eating and I had brought a morningstar farms portabella mushroom griller on high fiber flat bread - which honestly is something i'd normally eat anyways. and she just scrunched up her nose and was all, "ewww I should have known better than to ask!" I just looked at her and said, "well, you've SEEN the way i eat at home!" she just thinks it's funny. And, of course, what she DOESN'T know / can't understand is - I really honest to god LOVE eating this way. Vegees, whole grains, whole foods - it just "IS" the way I eat. Granted, now - don't get me wrong - I look at the junk she buys in the cafeteria (grilled cheese sandwiches w/fries, polish sausages, pizzas, calzones, etc...) and yeah - part of me WOULD love to be able to eat like that everyday cuz those foods DO taste good...however - I know I CAN'T eat like that and stay healthy & maintain my weight...and plus too - while all those foods DO taste INCREDIBLY good...lol - I know that I always feel WAY too full and eventually feel sick from eating junk (not that i don't do it once in a huge while...)
but do ya'll know what i'm saying?

Plus, too - what is funny and sorta helps - my roommate used to be a size 0 in high school and now she's gained a few pounds and wears an 8 - yes, she is skinny and thinner than I (i'm in a 12) and i'd LOVE to weigh as much as she does (honestly, i'm 4 inches taller and weigh 30 lbs more)...but I DO see the way she eats - junk food all day long - and she has DO many medical problems - and the doc has actually told her to QUIT eating so much fat and sugar! plus, she only eats like twice a day - and when she does eat - it's ALWAYS junk! i've invited her to eat some of my foods, and once in a while, depending on what i've made (such as spaghetti - which of course i always make high fiber pasta and 96/4 ground beef w/light ragu...) - she'll eat it - but about 90% of the time she turns up her nose at me as if my "diet" is something that's BAD.

and of course, i've not mentioned HER pantry - full of cookies, and pop tarts, and cheesecake mix, brownies mix, chips and all that stuff that yes, i'm SO tempted to eat...but I don't. #1 it's not MY food, it IS hers (although i know she wouldn't care as long as i don't eat ALL of it) and #2 I know i'd go absolutely CRAZY and eat ALL of it! lol.

I don't know. all I do know is this is almost sort of a blessing in disguise for me living with her. i see it as a challenge and also as a reminder...while - yes, i will wholeheartedly admit i'm jealous at times that i'm not as thin as she is - seeing her complain all the time about the way she feels and her eating habits - reminds me that i DON'T want to eat junk like that - and too, part of me LIKES being "different" from her and annoying her with my HEALTHY lifestyle! lol.

btw, she's now complaining that everytime I go to the gym, it wears her out! lol.
Ultimategurrl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #2  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Hang in there. Not everyone will be supportive of your healthy choices. It amazes me because my MOM of all people is the worst when it comes to my diet and exercise. All the time she asks "Is it healthy for you to do that much exercise?" It stuns me because she seems to think any exercise is bad and dont get me started on her eating habits. Lets just say its amazing I was such a skinny teenager.

Some people do encourage and thats what matters. (I think I drooled a little at the mention of the portabella burger!) Hang in there and remember, sometimes its fun to just mess with a roommate to see their reaction. (Sorry, I think my dyejob is going to my head today-I'm a bit feisty!)

Hang in there and I LOVE YOUR SIG. QUOTE!!!!!!
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #3  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimategurrl79
btw, she's now complaining that everytime I go to the gym, it wears her out! lol.
Her Some people.....Keep up the good work!!!! She need a good workout....lol Just think of how bad her health is with eating all that junk food...That something she is not thinking of. My brother died at the age of 33 of bad heath. She really should take better care of her self. Even though she is small.
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

good for you!!! keep annoying her. maybe one day she'll wake up and smell the portabella grilled sandwich!!! lol. You just keep doing what you are doing and you will be successful!! and you may just rub off on her soon enough.

good that you are working out. that is awesome!! you just keep to your resolve and i'll bet you'll drop those few pounds and look hotter than her.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #5  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumifan4ever
good that you are working out. that is awesome!! you just keep to your resolve and i'll bet you'll drop those few pounds and look hotter than her.
Not only hotter, but healthier. Heck, I bet you're already healthier than her despite the weight.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #6  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

That just goes to show that thin doesnt always equal healthy. I have been very fortunate I have always been healthy even when I was obese, I wouldnt have stayed healthy had i stayed obese though. Anyways, back to you.

I love to watch people squirm when they dont like what I eat. To me its good, I eat that way because I want to. They are only uncomfortable because they dont have the willpower or know how to take care of themselves the way that we do.

Anytime I mention eatting something healthy to my brother hes like I dont need to lose weight, I need to gain weight, and Im like HELLLOO its not about losing weight its about being healthy, and sometimes he embarrasses me, like we were out with friends and I was like I will have a sweet potato and I mentioned that it was better because it was a complex carb, and he was like yeah but I dont need to lose weight. I was like you, I really dont either ( at the time I was a size 7) bout 10lbs lighter than I am now. Some people just dont get it and never will.

Im fiesty today too, its not my dye job ( dont have one) I am a redhead and its TOM. Go figure.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #7  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Wow!

Here maybe you should tell her that its not you workouts that are wearing her out, its her guilt!!! hahaha but seriouly, keep the "she used to be a size 0 but now is an 8" in your head...heck if she is really bugging you point that out to her!

I get super annoyed when people coment on my lifestyle...I have had medical problems so why wouldn't I take care of my body!!??!! I have learned to be BLUNT and it shuts them up...
Keep up the great work, don't let her get to you!!
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3

keep doing what you're doing. you're doing great. she'll be sorry in a few years when she's a 12 and then a 16. i'd bet money she'll be overweight within 10 years.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I'm just happy that you don't let her get to you! It's amazing that you can continue doing what you know you need to do, and not let her negativity influence your lifestyle.

And as far as feeling jealous sometimes that she's smaller-- I'd rather be a healthy size 12 than a size 8 with clogged arteries!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #10  
I restore Teeth.

ultimategirl, I was in your position (except I was thinner than my roommate) once. Did you ever feel like, even if you DIDn'T like junk food, you had a temptation to eat it JUST BECAUSE it was there and you were somewhat restricted from having it? I had this problem; I just LOVE healthy stuff, but it was the "forbiddeness" of the junk foods that tempted me.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover
ultimategirl, I was in your position (except I was thinner than my roommate) once. Did you ever feel like, even if you DIDn'T like junk food, you had a temptation to eat it JUST BECAUSE it was there and you were somewhat restricted from having it? I had this problem; I just LOVE healthy stuff, but it was the "forbiddeness" of the junk foods that tempted me.
Absolutely!!! lol.
But i'm doing good. i really HAVE stayed away from her stuff...and one good thing, for instance...my problem with pop tarts - i don't buy them because i WILL eat all 6 in the matter of 2 days - and she has pop tarts STARING ME DOWN in the pantry - and the way our kitchen is - there's honest to god no where else to put her stuff - and there's no pantry door...(i have my own little "makeshift" pantry in the dining room because of how small our kitchen is)...and those damn pop tarts LITERALLY STARE ME IN THE FACE...but they're fruity - and i honestly only like the chocolate...so THAT is a good thing...

but yes - i agree - it's the "forbiddeness" of it - even though i honestly do try NOT to forbid myself anything - but there ARE certain thiings - such as pop tarts - that i WON'T buy for myself because i can't portion control them.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #12  
I restore Teeth.

you know what was kinda weird for me? KNowing that i could eat better and be healthier but not being motivated enough-

My roommate was the type to buy little debbie snacks and eat not-quite healthy things (You know those cereal bars, nutragrain? I can;t stand them, she loved them but theyre packed with sugar and they do nothing for you!) and when I saw her, I wished that I wasn't so strict with my own food. Even though I was never a big fan of fatty foods or sweet junk (with the exception of chocolate, one week before TOM) I ate it JUST BECAUSE it was there. Perhaps if I were better at controlling myself and NOT look at the ways my roommate ate, I wouldve felt the willpower. But its kinda hard. I moved off campus for this reason! I prefered my whole wheat bread and portobella, and my salad and all my veggies! I couldn;t eat around my friends because they always had some really high starchy ( if not starch, then its loaded with fat!) foods. Like yesterday, I went to visit my old roommate in their suite-style dormroom, they made just a lot of food- and I was soooo tempted just because they were eating it... I wished I knw someone like you around my college so I wouldnt have to eat healthily alone. I feel like I'm the only one eating a salad for dinner, while the rest of the campus is eating pizza and cheeseburgers. It's not even like I like cheeseburgers or pizza, but the thought alone of not letting myself have them would add more pressure!!
Old 04-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #13  
Sweet Success

Have you ever been in a situation where people would treat healthy foods as a junk food or people would look at you as if you were eating junk food.

The last place I worked at I swear was a cult. If you did not act like them and liked the things they like you were a weirdo. I get the idea you could not be yourself.

You could bring a morning star griller between whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomatoes with a little cup of fruit and you are already looked at as a weirdo.

That familiar question comes up and you are asked what that is?
It does not look meaty enough.

Why fruits instead of chips?

After you answer what is. It is the next comment they come up with.

Oh I couldn’t eat that. That is gross. Why eat that? Life is too short to skip out on good tasting foods. ( pizza's smoked chared beef, fried anything)

Well, what may be good tasting to them may vary from my taste of things. Especially health wise

One woman had a fit every time I brought a V8 with me. She had a form of words my dad would use while I was growing up. It was a form of words to let you know I did not like that and if you bring it here again, I will hound on you until you stop bringing the crap here.

For a place that works with drugs and all about health I hated how they treated their gathering to reward the people with good attendance. They would put out a big box of cookies of every kind, you could have as many cookies as you want to get, and bottles on top of bottles of Hawaiian Punch!! The first few times in the year I had picked up two cookies out of the box and someone sat beside me and said is that all you are going to get? After I past my year and a half mark and politics got crazy out there I started to grab 5 cookies because they were THERE!!!! And I was AGERVATED!!!!!! I never touched the punch. I hated the punch. The funny thing about the punch is it just brought back to much goofy childhood memories.
FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

yeah, I used to want soup or a salad for dinner and people at work told me that I should " GET SOMETHING SOLID, with MEAT in it"
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyRoo
Have you ever been in a situation where people would treat healthy foods as a junk food or people would look at you as if you were eating junk food.

Yes!!! It's almost as if YOU are the "bad" one because you're eating.... ::gasp:: HEALTH FOOD!!! and what i REALLLY hate is because they SEE you eating like that day after day and they KNOW you're "different" that when you DO decide to go ahead and give into a craving, "oh my god, you're eating THAT?" and the quote i absolutely HATE is this... "are you allowed to eat that?" um yeah! I "allow" myself to eat whatever I want - it's not like someone is out there saying, "you are only allowed to eat this, this, and that." I just PREFER to eat healthy foods and NOT gorge myself on foods that I KNOW are not good for my body three times a day...but I AM also allowed a treat every now and again - just not every single day!
for example - also...

my ex's sister - who I work with - she's one of the girls i eat lunch with. she's 32 and has 4 kids and is married - and so she thinks she doesn't NEED to be concerned with her health (plus she's the kind that uses her physical health problems as an excuse...horrribly bad knees, etc...which to me is ironic but eh whatever) - anyways - EVERY single day at work, she eats a big bowl of fruit (yay!) and a HUGE chocolate brownie during our first break (we get 2, 20 minute breaks). that's a brownie every DAY...and then on the second break, it's usually a pizza panini.
and she is also my "food police" that she gets mad when i DON'T eat something..."why aren't you eating????" - and i know this stems from a lot of the fact that when i was dating her brother, i was a part of the family - and her mother does this to her...

so i've made sure to bring something (all be it small and HEALTHY for my first break and of course my lunch for my second break) just so she'd shut up! i did mention this to her a while back to QUIT telling me that i HAVE to eat something at both 9 a.m. and 11:30 - and she's quit for the most part - that is as long as i have SOMETHING even if it's a banana or a yogurt...but once in a while...

although it's funny cuz last week she was having a bad day and complained that 2 of her favorite size 18 jeans didn't fit anymore - and i just looked at her and said, "and why do you think i eat healthy all the time?"

oh well, i just have to deal with it...in fact, for me, my motivation ... i'm the kind that when someone is telling me i CAN'T do something or SHOULDN'T be doing something - i'll do it just to tick them off! lol.