Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #1  

Default Feeling Overwhelmed

By how far I have to go... I know some people have further, and some less. I'm trying to concentrate on 5 lbs at a time...but it seems like a such a long hard road (at least it does tonight I will probably be mortified by this post in the morning lol ) I'm doing weight watchers and walking and weights. Eating so healthy it's scary! That's all good..but I look at my little tracker thing and that line seems extra long tonight. Thank you all for giving me safe place to whine
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi ejm:

I'm sure most of us have posted our thoughts and been mortified by them in the morning. But hey we ALL need encouragement sometimes and that is WHY we are here in this forum in the first place; to be there for one another and together we will make this journey!

I didn't like my ticker being so long on the right either so I solved it by making mini 10-pound goals... at every 10 pounds I "redecorate" the ticker and change the "second" to "third" etc. Sheesh right now even my mini one seems stuck!! MOVE you stupid ticker!!

>>>But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Galatians 5:23, 2 4<<

Thanks for the reminder!!! \o/ (that is hands lifted in praise)
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #3  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

That's why I don't think about "the end" at all. For one thing, it never really is going to end. Even if I reach some far away goal weight, I am still going to have to eat and work this way forever. Maybe not as hard, but I'll still have to work to maintain. But, beyond that, I have set a totally do-able goal of one pound a week. So, 125 pounds (or so) at a pound a week is two and a half years from now. Heck, I can't plan next week, I'm sure not thinking about 125 weeks from now!

So, I only think of it in 1 or 5 pound increments. I have a general goal of 225 by the end of the year. When I get there I'll pick a new goal. I don't even think about what my eventual maintenance weight wants to be. What if I get to 150 and am perfectly happy there? What if I go to 140 and still feel huge? It's way too early (for me) to pick a goal that far away... I'd get discouraged and want to give up, it's so.... scary. So all I really think about is the pound immediately in front of me. I have been stuck at 262.5 for well over a week now... I just dropped to 261 this morning. Now I can quit focusing on 261 and put all my concentration on 260.

125 pounds? Man, that's hard. One pound? Yeah, I can do that!

Good luck and keep posting! We're here for you...

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Misti and Lala are right... definitely don't look at the long road.
I've only lost 10 pounds (I have a good 70 to go), but I keep picking up a 10 pound weight and thinking, "Wow! I took that much off my body! I feel great!"
Focus on your accomplishments, no matter how small they may seem.
Don't get discouraged... we're all with you...
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I know how you feel. I remember having 25 pounds or so to lose and thinking that it would take so long and there was no way I could do it. The next thing I knew, I had 45 pounds to lose, which would take so much longer and so much more work!

The moral of the story is yes, this journey is going to take a long time and a lot of dedication. But it's better to get started now before you have an even bigger problem!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #6  

Personal experience: Jan 2005 I was basically at your point, looking at 65 pounds to lose. But the only way that I could wrap my mind around that seemingly insurmountable goal was to look at it this way: Time goes by, rather quickly in fact. (something I really REALLY hate , but used to my benefit). I figured that, given how I blink and am instantly 6 months down the road (or it seems), I might as well make these changes in my eating habits, and see where it would take me. And here we are, over a year later, and I am SO GLAD that I am where I am, and made those changes. So don't get discouraged. You will be so happy in April 2007, when you will be a tiny sexy little thing, and then be able to give a new person some encouragement!
lele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #7  

Those tickers can be pain if you're constantly looking at them, I guess, but in contrast - lookin at other people's sigs is what made me make one of my own. I wana be in lele's shoes 3 months from now - encouraging a newbie like myself.

Look at this whole weight loss thing like any other big project... break it down to smaller tasks and pat your back for every achievement. I joined WW a few weeks back and they encourage you to do something different or commit to one thing each week. When it's time to commit to something new the next week, reflect on how you did the previous week and let that be fuel for the weeks to come.

I think you have to constantly find ways to motivate yourself... Lord knows I do!!! That's why I have Tyson following me around!
BigBootyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #8  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

ejm - I know what you mean - that is why I make my tracker to be only a mini-goal. If I try and think of the big picture it is just too much to fathom and way too depressing.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I find measurements REALLY help!! Especially if you do weights, because things shift around, you gain muscles, all of that.

I agree with the 10 pound thing.. can you tell? Keep at it, you will get there, think about how far your body has come already.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #10  

Great comments everyone, Im glad to know that others feel the same way about setting a goal weight and thinking about what that means. I started at 304 in Jan and as of this morning I am 253 and I hope to get to 170 by the end of the year...but I dont even know or remember what 170 looks like on the 5'9" frame...I think I was like 10 when i weighed that much it seems...lol. I think wow Im doing so well and then sometimes I look at my goal weight and I still have like 85lbs to lose...it does seem overwhelming, one meal and one workout at a time I guess. Good luck everyoen and hold on to all the great work you have all done so far.
Glasgowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #11  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Wink Hang in, ejm!

I agree, ejm. Hang in there. It's difficult to know your own strength when you're at the foot of a huge mountain, but you WILL overcome it! I have heard many people here say "I can't believe I've lost XXX pounds!", but they have done it!

I'm a student, and for me, this whole weight loss thing is sort of like Finals Week. I think at the beginning "how am I ever going to get this all done? there's just too much!" but, eventually, I stop worrying over it, stick my head down, and JUST DO IT! Every now and again I poke my head up to find that I've actually made quite a lot of progress, and I'm actually doing that thing that I thought was going to be impossible. In fact, I'm nearly halfway there now!

You can do it, too. Just don't think about it. Focus on your daily decisions, and try not to think about the ultimate goal very much. You will get there, but it will take time. Remember that saying about the "watched pot"? Good luck to you! I know you can do it!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone! I changed back to my short term goal for my ticker.. just getting to onederland! I do feel better today.. just got to keep going. And lele you are right.. time does go fast! I can't wait to be here next year cheering someone else on
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm
I can't wait to be here next year cheering someone else on
I'll meet you back here in a year to help with the cheering!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:17 AM   #14  
Starbucks Addict!

Height: 5'4

I love making mini goals for myself. I dont do 10 lbs , but thats a great one! I do holidays lol..my next one is Easter and I just hit that goal yesterday! After that is Memorial day, 4th of July, Labor day, my 30th birthday and then Christmas. I love hitting my goals and it makes me feel like im actually "doing" something lol.. good luck. You can do this!!!!!
purplecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:39 AM   #15  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

You're not alone sweetie. I feel like that 95.999999% of the time! LOL
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote