Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #16  

Thanks for all of your responses. I do not use the incline but after reading all of your replies, I am wondering if I should start. Would it be best to continue what I was doing at no incline, OR.........incline and do a slower speed?
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #17  

I like to use a mixture of incline and no incline, I walk on an mid-range incline for 5 minutes, then lower it to flat and run at 7.5 speed (I have long legs, so it's not a sprint for me, just a comfortable fast run.) I find this way I don't get as bored, since I have a mixture of walking/incline (for the buns ) and running/no incline (for the legs in general)
MandiMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:21 AM   #18  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I also use the treadmill almost every weekday. I try and mix things up - changing speeds, adding and taking away the incline. My goal is to get my heart rate up and steady at about 140 bpm so I adjust accordingly. Right now that tends to put me at 2.5 with a 1-2% incline, but one of the big differences for me is whether I use my arms or not. That is my biggest goal right now - be able to not hold on at all. I tend to do about half an hour.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #19  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Almost There, I think adding a little incline even if that means a slower speed would be good for a lot of reasons. Like Mandi said it keeps the workout from being boring (if your treadmill adjusts the incline automatically during a workout), and it is good for the buns. 

I used to just walk without an incline because I could get more miles or time in that way.. and walk at higher speeds.. but the incline really seems to be a different kind of workout.
For weight loss I think it is a good idea to do speed and incline intervals (if possible) every few minutes during a workout.. For me anyway it seems to make a big difference.

I did try 11% for a brief moment today.. ouch!! I think I will stick to my max of 6% for now.

So does anyone else watch movies to pass the time?
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

Inclines while walking are a great way to get the benefit of jogging without the impact.

I usually get on my treadmill 4 days a week and do an interval program for 45-50 minutes. I will start out with a 6 minute walk at a mild incline and a lower speeds (it increases every 45 sec or so), then continue with 3 min jogging at 5.1 and 3 min walking at 3.5 with no incline on either until the 45 minutes is up. I like to end on a double cycle of jogging and then take and extra 5 minutes to walk as a cool down.

I have a TV set up with the treadmill, but I much rather prefer listening to music. Even at the gym, where all machines have their own TV, I find that I keep a higher intensity and enjoy exercise with music. I have heard of people watching action or suspensful movies while working out to have that same effect.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #21  
Fat-be-gone

Default Quick Question

One question for you guys: My community's gym is pretty rundown but the treadmill looks like it works. The only thing is it is missing the safety cord and it won't work without it. Does anybody know where I can get one?? Thanks!!
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #22  
Big Momma!

Height: 5,2

lol some of u here totally AMAZE me!!!!

I just startet this week..I do 3.5 for 20 minutes 2 times a day 1/2 time with inlcine ....morning and after dinner... I went up to 4 and it liked to throw me off the back !!!lol

I have an Image 10,,,I have NO idea what my inline is ,,,,my manual dont say nothing about it..nor does the treadmill......I have to call them Unless the 10 stand for the incline ?????

No idea.....

MY Goal is to walk 1 hr in the morning and at night...that would make it arround 4 miles per day..
Jasmin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #23  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Rosario- I would find out what kind of machine it is and then get in touch with the manufacturer. I can't imagine that it costs much to replace.

rmewife- Those are some impressive inclines.. Wow!

Hotcupojava- What kind of machine do you have that it doesn't have a motor. I am so curious about this.

Virgochick- so how did the incline go?????
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #24  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Cool Treadmills.......

Hi,
I use the treadmills at my local Y and usually I use the same one and love it. I started doing their fatburning program( it inclines and declines during a 35 minute workout), Well for the past 2 days I begun this program on the same machine, it would go up to 10. incline, whatever the heck that is, and go down in 2-3 minutes. I was ok with that. Today I decided to use a different machine , stupid me, this machine, using the same fat burning program , went up to a 14.5 incline, I could only do a spead of 2.5 walking. I sweated to death and worked of 370 calories, but I don't think I will choose that machine again. Since I started the treadmill 2 wks ago, I have worked myself up to a 3.8 speed for 45 minutes( the first 20 minutes at a slight incline), and like it,but I also like the fat burning workout if the incline wouldn't go so high up. I can't jog on the treadmill right now, maybe when I loose some weight? Who knows.
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #25  
Cuban Cutie

S/C/G: 250/233.8/150

Rosario - try just using a magnet (I think that's what most of them are anyway)
Mrs SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #26  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I use my treadmill at least 6 days a week. I walk for 45 seconds, then jog for 30 seconds and alternate this for 30 to 45 minutes each time. I have been trying to increase my distance by 10% each week for last 4 weeks to see if I can lose this last stubborn 16lbs. Can't get my incline to work for some reason, I think it would help me even more.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #27  

Default Hello

I use a teadmill 3x's a week. I am working at trying to improve my running for basic training. I started out jogging at 4.7 mph and it took me 50minutes to do 3 miles or 5km. I have recently worked up to 5.5 mph jog speed at a 1% incline and it takes me about 40 min to complete my 5km. that is with approx 5 min walk to warm up and a few walk intervals thrown in when my heart rate reaches 175 BPM to recover it to 155 BPM before giving it my all again at 5.5 mph! My goal is to one day be able to complete my 5 km in 35 min or less.... Ultimate 5km goal under 30 minutes. I never thought I'd be able to run on a treadmill, but I am actually beginning to like it because it forces me to keep pushing myself. I don't want to end up off the end!!
Marie
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #28  

Do all of you shower immediately after? When you walk twice a day, do you shower twice?
I'm just wondering cause I seem to get yeast overgrowth/skin rash if I don't shower ASAP after getting all sweaty, but I wouldn't mind walking twice in one day if I could.

Is a slow walk better than none? I mean, if I power walk in AM and then do another mile in PM nice and slow, is the second walk even worth my time?
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote