Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know someone mentioned it but sizes do keep shifting. I heard Lane Bryant is going to start carrying size 12s and I think what they really plan to do is shift their size 14s to size 12s. I can already wear a size 18 skirt and size 14 top in Lane Bryant and size 24 pants. I do remember in high school weighing what I weigh now and wearing a very tight size 26. Currently I wear a loose size 24 in pants. It is easier to sell someone a size 16 than a size 20 so manufacturers will keep doing it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #17  
Running Wild

Wow another Junebug!!! When I was reading Jaydes response, i was like "What? I didnt respond!"

I do think its weird how everyone is so different and 2 people can be the same height and weight and wear different sizes. I am 5'2 and not sure of my weight and it depends on the brand of clothing as to what size I wear.

However, 5 lbs either way on me is a size up or down which I find weird, but thankful for. I just wish I could lose those last 5...but then again, I havent really been applying myself (insert embarrassed look here)....
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #18  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Intellectually, I know it's all individual, but it's still disheartening to see people who are my same height and weight and who wear clothes 3 sizes smaller. Maybe I just wear my stuff baggy, but I'm still in the same 22/24s I was wearing 18 pounds ago. I'll admit they are a touch looser, but certainly not falling down by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think I'd even have the courage to try on an 18 or 20.

((sigh))
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #19  

Height: 5'9

It DEFINATELY all depends on the person. We're all different. When I first started at 286 pounds and 5'9, I was in a size 26/28. Now, at 160 pounds, I wear an 8 in some clothes, a 10 in others, and if a skirt or pants are cut slim in the hips, I have to wear a 12.
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #20  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatlesFan
We're in this for the long haul to health and happiness, but having our rumps look nice in jeans will just be the frosting on the cake.
I can toast to that!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Yeah sizes depend a lot on how you carry your weight.. I carry most of mine around my waist, also depends if most your weight is fat or muscle. My sister is 4'10 and 140 and shes a size 8 somehow but yet im about the same weight and 5'5 and a 10... I wish they would just use inches as sizes for women just like they do for men it would make things so much simpler.
Lady Jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #22  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

JustJuneBug- I thought that was pretty wild too! It was a nickname given to me by my east texas relatives, incidentally.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Jayde, I'm 5'6ish
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #24  

Well, this really is like a walk down Memory Lane! I remember I bought some "cute" pink jeans in a size 28 once -- I got them a Fashion Bug. What a great store! Of course, they didn't have "petite" sizes at that time anyway (28P?? an oxymoron, huh?!?) And today I wear size 3P jeans; it's still kind of a problem because at age 56 I don't want them riding TOO low. But I did find recently I really enjoy wearing mid-rise jeans. That's a whole nother topic though!

I found in my journey down the scale that you can actually SKIP sizes, and you may as well do that to save money. If you are losing steadily, you don't stay in a size long enough to wear it out. I actually had bought some clothes that I never got around to wearing before they got too big! So I went from the 26-28s to some old 22s I had in the back of my closet. Then I did 18s (what a thrill THAT was!), 14s (I was actually there the longest), 10s and 6s.

The funny thing is I tended to buy stuff too big for awhile because I never COULD believe I could have really gotten to a smaller size; for example, buying 16s when 14s were a better fit, and 12s when I should have gotten 10s. Even more recently, I was afraid to buy high boots because I was convinced my legs were too fat to get them zipped up. It's hard to get rid of some of the notions you carry about yourself!

Anyway, please enjoy your journey. Clothes buying is a scary but ultimately really fun part of it!!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

DancingAngel, that is sooo wonderful to hear that you made it to your goal. Wow!!! 190 lost!! that is amazing!!! and to think i only have 45 pounds to lose. I just know i can do it!!! what an inspiration you are!!! and hey, if i make it below my goal of 130, that's okay to!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #26  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

I was at a 20-22 womens at 235. I like my clothes loose so that's why the size difference, the 22 was quite loose. Honestly, right now I am not sure what size I am in. I lost 24 pounds and my clothes are falling off of me but I have it in my head that my thinner clothes in my closet won't fit, so I don't try. I did put on a pair of pants the other day, dress pants that stretch a little and they were 18's I believe. I really should try out some different clothes. My favorite jean capris literally fall down on me now! Oh yeah, I am currently 211 at 5'8.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

I'm 5'6" and 150lbs and I wear a comfy size 10. I can wear 8's but I'm not sure an almost 32 year old woman should wear her pants that tight. lol At 225 I wore a size 20/22. I've found that the smaller the size the less the pound change. It was a good 20-25 lbs change for me in the higher sizes and the lower I go the less I need to lose to go down a size. Right now it's about 10 lbs for a size change.

If you look at a size chart though there is a 2" difference in the higher sizes, an 1 1/2" difference in the middle sizes and 1" difference in the low sizes. So the lower you go the less you need to lose to change your size.

You ladies have all done great! Keep up the good work.
getncontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #28  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingAngel
The funny thing is I tended to buy stuff too big for awhile because I never COULD believe I could have really gotten to a smaller size; for example, buying 16s when 14s were a better fit, and 12s when I should have gotten 10s. Even more recently, I was afraid to buy high boots because I was convinced my legs were too fat to get them zipped up. It's hard to get rid of some of the notions you carry about yourself!

Anyway, please enjoy your journey. Clothes buying is a scary but ultimately really fun part of it!!
yes.. Angel, I think it would probably take longer for our minds to catch up with our physical changes.. ... I love that you share your success with all of us.. Absolutely AWESOME!!!

Kierr- It’s fun to try on those clothes hiding in the back of the closet.. I have a special pair.. when I can fit into them.. believe me you will all hear about it!!! “Taking Charge of my health.” I like that.

Lumifan.. I didn’t even think of junior and misses sizes.. that can be misleading.

Nelie, with the clothing industry shifting like that it does confuse things. And manufacturers do know what they are doing .. I absolutely refused to buy a size 18 at one point when I was about 213 and then was retaining extra water weight. When I went shopping I knew the 18s would be more comfortable.. but was too stubborn. Mind games..

Lena, one day you will be surprised.. those pants will slip right off you and if you don’t have something else, you’ll have to bunch them up with rope! 

Cemetary- Keep your signature ticker What an inspiration!

Lady Jackyl.. I like your idea about inches.. they do that in some countries.. I wish the U.S. did..

Stacy.. I think we are similar then.. well.. me currently with an extra 15 pounds :0.. I don’t know about a goal weight of 125.. but then again.. anything.. and I do mean anything less than I am now is my goal.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getncontrol
If you look at a size chart though there is a 2" difference in the higher sizes, an 1 1/2" difference in the middle sizes and 1" difference in the low sizes. So the lower you go the less you need to lose to change your size.
That is interesting.. so I guess there is more than just our bodies contributing to the math of this ...

-
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 198 (HW) 183 (SW) / 180 / 150

I have a full body picture in my profile and that was taken when I was about 175 and I am 5'6" - at that time I was in a snug 10 or comfy 12, mostly 11's fit right. Now I am almost ten pounds heavier, but working out and still fit into all the same sizes. So I would say a good measure though is 20 lbs = 1 full size drop, especially if you are exercising.
Sassy8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 198 (HW) 183 (SW) / 180 / 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by getncontrol
I'm 5'6" and 150lbs and I wear a comfy size 10. I can wear 8's but I'm not sure an almost 32 year old woman should wear her pants that tight. lol At 225 I wore a size 20/22. I've found that the smaller the size the less the pound change. It was a good 20-25 lbs change for me in the higher sizes and the lower I go the less I need to lose to go down a size. Right now it's about 10 lbs for a size change.

You ladies have all done great! Keep up the good work.
Wow you just posted my goal. I want to get to 150 and be in a very comfy size 10 with the possibility of 8's. Seems like a dream to me now, but reading that in black and white text gives me inspiration and motivation that it CAN happen.

Thanks!
Sassy8877 is offline   Reply With Quote