Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #1  
takin it one lb at a time

Question Ladies.. I need some advice.

I'm only 17. I go to work 4 days a week and get about $425 every two weeks.

My mom is trying to lose weight as well... but she doesn't buy the right food. I've tried talking to her about it, but she doesn't want to buy healthy food because it costs alot.

I've got to save alot of my money... I have to start paying my own car insurance in a month, which my mom says is going to be 130 dollars, so I'll be having about $300 every two weeks (minus the money I'll need for gas). I need to save alot of that for college which I'll be starting in the fall.

How can buy food on a small budget, that'll last me two weeks + ?

Any help would be appreciated ladies...
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #2  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Buy things when they are on sale and use coupons, and buy in bulk - for example, you could buy a big package of chicken breasts (when on sale) and seperate them into individual freezer bags and just cook one at the time (if you don't know how to cook - an easy way to cook the chicken is to just wrap it in foil, put it in a pan on about 400 and bake for probably about 1/2 an hour.

You can also find things like canned green beans on sale for 2 for a dollar usually, things like that. If you look for things on sale you can get a lot more for your money.

Good for you thinking about such things at your young age!!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:29 PM   #3  
Have U had your WATER yet

S/C/G: 172 / 159 / 145

Height: 5 '1.5"

I agree with icmethinner. Also some healthy foods are not that expensive. Instead of red meats get turkey burger, turkey sausages, etc..... It is healthier and tates the same, in my opion. Also sugar free icecreams and puddings and jello's. The ones that come in a box are way cheaper than the ones that are already made So yeh, just buy everything in packages and if you limit you intake(eat off of salad plates) then you'll have enough to last you untill next oayday. Good luck to you ans stay positive.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #4  
35lbs gone by 5/14

S/C/G: 235/230/135

Melissa
As someone who is old enough to be your mother, I am proud of the way you think. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. I agree with icmethinner about buying in bulk, I have a small freezer and a vacuum sealer. I use those to help me save money, and eat healthier. Your local farmer's market is a great place to save money. In the spring and summer, I can be found there at least once a week. You can try new foods and get good deals. Melissa, once you mother sees you eating healthy and losing weight, she may just come around and join you. Keep up the good work, again I am proud of you. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing, we are here for you.

Terina
katielab'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Hey I am also broke. I make less than you too (just work weekends, go to school full time). I manage ok. It's just not true that buying healthier has to be expensive! You just have to look at the content of the stuff you're buying. For instance, I had been buying Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine for months, but I was getting to where it was just too much, so I looked at the Michalina's meals, and although many of them are high calorie, there are many that are very sensible, and some bettter thant the so called health food stuff. I could buy 10 for $10 where as with the others it would be maybe 3 for $10. Sometimes too you can find stuff cheaper at Target or Walmart than at the grocery store. LIke progresso soup, some are very good and low cal too. At the grocery store I was paying like $2.99, and at Target the were less than $2!!! You can definitely do it, no question, you just have to spend some time comparing labels and prices!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #6  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Do you have a walmart in your area?

They accept all competitor ads. Every Sunday I get the paper and go thru all of the ads to see what is on sale. I circle the sales items that I want and bring the papers to walmart. Just show it to the cashier and they will honor the price. I saved $44 off of an $80 total on my last trip!

I get so many great deals this way! Instead of driving to several stores to get the sale items I get them all in one place!

I hope this helps!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #7  
mom2cole

If you mom won't buy anything different, can you modify what she is making for meals? Like if she is cooking chicken, opt to bake yours and buy some canned veggies or frozen (both under a buck) and eat your dinner that way. Get yourself a good breakfast cearal with lots of grains for breakfast. Since it would cost quite a bit to buy all of your own food, just see what you have that can be made healthy and add your own fruits and veggies and change the way you cook it. Get a table top grill (like the george foreman one, but cheaper) and you can cook any type of meat in half the time of an oven.
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #8  
Workingmom79

S/C/G: 190/190/145

I try to go to discount stores like Aldi and SaveALot. If you watch prices the 10 for 10 sales can be a good idea at the larger stores. Another hint is to buy thinks that are in resealable bags so that you can take out a certain amount and save the rest for another time. Good Luck!
Workingmom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #9  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

Do you have a Aldi near you. I am telling you my Aldi has the freshest fruits and veggies and they are no where near the price I would pay at Jewel. I know it is hard to keep fresh veggies and fruit fresh for long but maybe you could split your check and try to go once a week. They also have great prices on yougurt and bagged salads for those of us who are in a hurry.
Tina30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #10  
Cat person

S/C/G: 190/187.8/155

I'm assuming that you are able to eat for free if you eat what you mom buys versus buying healthier food with your own money? If that's the case I can see why you wouldn't want to spend a dime to eat better right now. Maybe you could find a happy medium? Take some time to cut coupons and map out the sales flyers. Then make an agreement with your mom that you go with her shopping and if you can find healthy foods on sale and with coupons, that she'll add them to her grocery list that day. It would end up benefitting both of you in the long run.
Intrinsicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

or offer to do the fam shopping for your mom! she can give you the budget (and the $$) ie 50 bucks for the week - or whatever you have- and then you can pick out the foods you get and show your mom you can get "healthy" food at reasonable prices.

she can even put some "necessities" on the list - ie milk, cereal or whatever your fam has to have. and you can shop around that. or she can say i need 3 lunches, 2 dinners etc and you can shop around that!

i LOVE to do the shopping so this would be ideal for me, but its totally up to you!

would your mom go for this?
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

All of those are great suggestions...one other one is - do you have an asian grocery in your area? Sometimes, they have nicer and cheaper veggies and canned foods in their stores. And, they also have lots of different flavors you could use to spice up the same dishes...just something to try.
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #13  
35lbs gone by 5/14

S/C/G: 235/230/135

You guys are great. I've gotten some great ideas just reading your posts. Grumbleworts: There are several Asian markets near my house, I might stop in and browse.

Tina30: I went to Sam's and bought a large bag of salad mix and bag of broccoli and cauliflower, when I got home I used my vacuum sealer and split the salad mix. Now my salad mix will stay fresher until I can use it.

Thanks

Terina
katielab'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #14  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I don't have any additional suggestions, but I'd just like to say how impressed I am with you, Melissa. You seem like a very responsible young woman. You have a job, you're making good money, you're making sure to manage your budget and are looking for ways to live within your means.

And you'll be starting college next fall! Good for you!!!

Will you be living on campus at college? In the dorm, you should be able to get on the meal plan and won't have to worry about paying for food. If you have your own apartment on-or off-campus, then a grocery budget will need to cover hosehold goods (laundry soap, toilet paper, etc.) as well as food. Or, will you continue to live at home?

I ask because all the suggestions made above assume you'll still be living at home. If you're away from home, the picture will change somewhat.

In the meantime, try talking to mom again. Do a bit of research and show her examples of healthy foods and their costs. Maybe you can sway her opinion if she sees some evidence.

Good luck, sweetie! You're aces!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote