Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/187/141

Height: 5'4"

Default Reaffirmation: I am Fat

Reaffirmation: I am Fat

Just need to say it again.

I have slipped alot this week due to husband and baby being sick and I need to give myself a kick in the pants that just because I lost 14.5 pounds doesn't mean I am skinny just means that I am 180 pounds!!!!!When I start slacking off I suffer from an illness called "Reverse Anorexia" (please take no offense).It is the best term I can think of to describe that I start thinking I look better than I actually do. It is the condition that allowed be to balloon up. That and the fact I never took pictures of myself or had a full length mirror.

I don't want to be fat anymore!!!!!!!

Amanda
OBsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:56 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I know about the thinking you look better than you are! I look like Kate Moss in the mirror...

And don't be too hard on yourself, yes you need to get back to it, but cut yourself some slack what with the "kids" being sick
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #3  

That article was interesting. I would not have chosen to describe myself as fat. I would have chosen words like "smart, creative, mother, down to earth" etc... maybe I'm just vain.

Which leads me to the original poster's thread. Yep, I do exactly what you do. I see myself as better than I am. It's called Body Dismorphia. That is a condition where you see yourself either better or worse than you are. When I was young I saw myself as worse. I was 128 lbs, wore a size six and could swear I was fat. Fast forward to age 31. I was 230 lbs, size 20, and thought I looked "pretty good" considering how much I weighed. I could never understand why nobody could get a good picture of me. But home video put it all in perspective. I would always cry when I saw it. How many chins should one woman have!? And yet, I'd go a couple weeks, forget and convince myself I looked okay. LOL Then I hit bottom. And my husband hit bottom (he was overweight as well) and together we are on a course. But I did yo-yo and I did it because I got to 180 lbs and thought I looked great and stopped living a healthy lifestyle. DUMB!

Mirrors, even full length, are terrible guidelines to how we look. We can hold our tummies in, stand straight, turn at an angle and thrust our chin forward. Wow, we don't look so bad. We don't see the bra strap cutting into our fat rolls, or the pants riding down our butt (pockets really shouldn't ride on the thigh you know?) We don't see our chins from the side profile while we laugh. We don't see all the things that everybody else sees. And so we convince ourselves that we're not really fat. Wow, how can we look so good when we weight so much! We must hold our weight very well. We're big boned. We're lucky.

But in reality, you are right--we're overweight. We need to change our lifestyles so we can set healthy examples for those who look up to us. And we can.

And I think it's great you're staying motivated and trying to stay grounded! Keep up the great work and stay on track. Have somebody take some video of you and watch it. That's ALWAYS a motivator for me! LOL

Old 01-28-2006, 01:36 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

this is why im not one of those people who can go by how clothes fit. i did not notice any difference in myself when i was at my high as i do now. i always thing i look good lol. that is why i need the scale- reality check! i dont think its reality check for fatness though- just like i know at 170 on my frame im pretty big, i cant go up stairs as well, and i feel much more fatigue. and of course my doc says my bmi is too high. this is also how i've stalled out for 3 years ... lol i dont think i look that bad! (except of course in pics when i stand next to other people. haha oh well.)

ahh well.

its good to have a reality check ...but maybe not one that says "im fat" maybe one that says "i still have some work to do"

good luck
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote