Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2006, 08:17 AM   #1  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Opinions needed Does using exercise machines get easier??

Hi everyone.. I introduced myself about a month ago, but have not posted again on this forum. I began the 1st of the year exercising in my house, with 5 lb weights, ankle weights ect. I don't own a scale, but know I have lost weight, my clothes feel better, I feel better, but I have not gone down any sizes in clothes. My family was given a membership to our local YMCA and for the kids I accepted. Luckily they have a Women's workout room, and I have gone twice since joining this week. I attempted the ellipitical machine and could only do 4 1/2 minutes and was really out of breath. So I have left that alone and found a bike and can do 20 minutes on it for now. Will this get better? I have about 80 lbs to loose, and do enjoy lifting weights, and do like the stationary bike, but would love to be able to really use the Elliptical machine without sounding like I am dying. Any input? Does it get easier? I even plan on buying a Ellipitical Machine for the house, hopefully when I receive money from FEMA that I am awaiting because of loosing my things do to Hurricane Katrina. Am I the only one who has this problem???
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It seems you are not alone with the elliptical. It really can kick butt! What many people seem to do is to start with just a few minutes (often all we CAN do), and slowly build up!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I've never done the elliptical, but when I started on the treadmill, I could only go at 4 minute stretches at a time before I needed a break (at 2.2 mph) and now I can go an hour on an incline at 4 mph. It takes awhile, but it does get easier as the weight comes off and your muscle mass increases.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

I have a love/hate relationship with the elliptical. It just feels awkward to me. I have done 20 minutes before on it, but my friend was on the machine next to me and we chatted the whole time.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've never done the elliptical, but I own a Nordic Track and it can sure take some getting used to! Last time I worked out on it, it took several weeks before I could do a steady 20-30 minutes on it. From there, I could increase resistance almost weekly. You really have to work up to the point where you can do the machine successfully, without feeling uncoordinated, and without wheezing through the workout. Give yourself 5 or 10 minutes each workout on the machine and do this for a few weeks. You'll see--it will get better.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #6  
with my mind on my monkey

The first time I tried the elliptical I lasted for five tortuous minutes. I kept at it and now do 45 minutes hands-free and could easily do more. It's definitely awkward at first, but you will adjust if you persist!

The elliptical has resculpted my legs and rear - it's definitely worth working at!
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #7  
Losing for Life!

I love the elliptical and yes it can be tough to start with. I was only able to manage 5 minutes the first time I went on it and after the 6th time I moved up to 10 minutes and after 4 times at 10 minutes went to 15.

It is important to remember that your level of intensity when working out will not be the same as other peoples. Go a little slower, don't feel like you need to keep up with the rest of the people on the machines. The most important thing when you are first starting is to enjoy it and be burned out by it.

Before long you will be able to do 30 minutes and it will feel great! You can do it!
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #8  

Lightbulb

Hi!
just like the old saying:
"try try again"

The eliptical takes time to get used to. I think that if you add an extra minute or two each time you try it out, it will become one of your favorite machines.

It burns a lot of calories, and the reason is-- it has got you working your tail off. Literally and figuratively.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #9  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

S/C/G: 165/155/135

Height: 5'6"

I've always felt that it is a lot easier to push yourself hard on the elliptical and not realize it, which I think is the reason it starts out feeling so hard. Go at your own pace, and make sure that the resistance is set low (I got 4 miles a day, and am still on 2) and that the incline is where you want it to be (if it's an option). It really does get better (I was soaked in sweat after 20 minutes on level 1 when I started and am now doing 45 minutes on level 2 (with 4 less than 11 minute miles, and walking for whatever the remainder is). You CAN do this!
swingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #10  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I too have a love hate relationship with the eliptical. I program it for 20 minutes the first 3 minutes are ok then well theres alot of whimpering, heavy breathing,,,swearing (underbreath) and laughter once I am done. It took me probably a good full month of every day getting on there to get to 20 minutes,,,having to lose over 100lbs.
I believe for myself its the best machine for a workout. Its harsh to adapt but you will...get back on and go an extra minute each time...play mind games with yourself. Get a great cardio CD... Visualize how fantastic you will look in some out fit you want. Do anything to get yourself on it.
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #11  

Your cardiovascular fitness will definitely improve. It takes time, and a bit of creativity with your workouts, as the others have suggested. I can do 30 minutes on a hill program on level 10 on the eliptical now. I started with 3 minutes on level one!

4 1/2 minutes is fine for a beginner!!! Aim for 5 next time. Maybe something like 10 minutes bike 5 minutes eliptical and then 10 minutes bike. Your five minutes on the eliptical will have your heart rate at a good level and you'll get more out of your second bike workout.

The more different cardio machines you can use, the better. All will burn calories, but different ones use different muscle groups in different ways, to avoid conditions like osteoporosis you need to be doing some weight bearing activity (which the eliptical offers but the bike doesn't) and most importantly, avoiding boredom. If you're going to be exercising now for the rest of your life, you need to have a variety of things to keep you entertained!!!!

Well done on your exercise journey so far!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #12  

6 months ago I could do 3 minutes on the elliptical - now, I'm at 20 minutes on level 4 and 20 minutes treadmill at an 8 incline. Instead of adding time, I stay at 20 minutes and increase the speed/resistance/incline. It took me a month to get to 20 minutes, and I added one minute every time I climbed on. Now I add new exercises and weights to make things interesting. Yes, it takes some time, but keep doing it! The changes I felt in and about my body in the first month were worth every second. Keep moving - we believe you can do it!!!

Deb
debbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #13  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

S/C/G: 165/155/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by da fat n da furious
play mind games with yourself
I would soooo do this to keep myself on... but I don't have to. I workout at my college gym (one of the fittest schools in the nation) and people are currently "toning up" for spring break. All I have to do is look around and I see what I want to look like. Works great for keeping me on the bike...
swingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #14  
Slow and Steady...

S/C/G: 250/179/140

When I started the elliptical, I could only do 5 - 10 minutes depending on my stamina for the day. Now I can do 40 minutes, even 60 if I am really pushing it. So yeah, it does get easier. I find it the most easy when it is in the morning and I am not so tired from the day's events...

Take care, Alicia
curlygurl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:31 AM   #15  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

It will get so much easier. On the first day I went to the gym, the only thing I could manage more than 3 minutes on was the bike or walking on the treadmill, even on the lowest levels. I can now run half marathons.

If you stick with it you'll improve. Just try to do a bit more each time.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote