Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #1  

Exclamation #$@$^^$*&$% scale!!! HELP ME AVOID A SETBACK!!!

So, if you've seen any of my posts from last night, they are going to sound a lot different from this one - I was all proud of myself for buying the medicine ball and body ball and was feeling all pumped up and confident and everything.

Then for some bird-brained reason, I decided to get on the scale.

WTF WAS I THINKING?!?!?!! One look and I almost began to . It has been a couple of weeks since I weighed myself and at that point I was at 160. Now? 166. IT'S S%*T LIKE THIS THAT MAKES ME GET OFF THE WAGON!!! I think, what's the point? Nothing I do is working, I am only gaining MORE weight.

How much is your weight supposed to fluctuate in a day? In a week? I know when you work out, your muscles weigh more than fat, but I have only been exercising for about a week, so I highly doubt that is muscle weight! WTF AM I DOING WRONG?

Could it have been the pumpkin latte I got at Starbucks yesterday? Or the sodium from the Lean Cuisine meal I had for lunch holding onto water weight?

I am just so damn discouraged right now and I am trying to not to let my fears/frustration/anxieties get the best of me. Please help.
DivaLaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #2  

Scales are a tool, they are not failsafe, they don't always reflect what is really going on, and you really need to learn to detach yourself from them on an emotional level, in my opinion. This is from the girl who had a three month plateau. Love em when they're good to you, ignore em when they're bad, hmmmm that sounds like how I treat my boyfriend LOL

Weight varies from day to day, there is no set rule for this, some people weigh daily, log it, then choose the lowest weight for the week.

Exercise can affect weight. Never ever weight after cardio or resistance exercising as you will weigh heavier.

Don't sweat it, if you are doing the right thing, the scales will follow............eventually.

Concentrate over the next couple of weeks over how your clothes feel, take measurements around your body, concentrate on non scale measures.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #3  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Is it that time of the month ?
I gain a good five pounds each time myself.
How many calories in that Latte ?
Theres many things to check yourself on.
What you are taking in, and how much you are exersising.
If your recording what you eat and everything from the condiments to the drinks. Dont get down on yourself. Your trying thats good.
Its been one week yes your weight can flux when your starting out thats why you should give it a month before you step on that scale. If your watching what your eating your weight can flux the first couple weeks. Let your body adjust and just make sure your doing what you need to be doing. Dont spot check yourself so quickly with the scale.
More in recording what and how much of what your eating. And making sure your working out at least 4 times a week for at least 30 to 45 minutes.
You can make it thru put the scale away for a while and dont beat yourself up , Theres many diffrent reasons why your weight has went up. Check yourself in other areas because the scale right now is not the answer.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaLaRed
Could it have been the pumpkin latte I got at Starbucks yesterday? Or the sodium from the Lean Cuisine meal I had for lunch holding onto water weight?
Could be lots of things. Water retention, stress, period, etc. Yes, stress. It does weird things to your body and can cause your weight to fluctuate. Or at least that's what my doctor told me

It could also be you've been taking in more calories than you think. Do you count calories or anything like that? You may be taking in more than you need.

Another theory could be the exercise. Your body is trying to adjust and get used to it and may even 'fight' you a little bit, attempting to hold onto what's already there. Same thing happened to a friend of mine. She started exercising and initially her weight actually went "UP" instead of down. Then once her body got used to burning those extra calories, she dropped back to her pre-exercise weight and then it started coming off again.

I'd say, if you've only been exercising a week, to keep up with it, watch your calories, and give your body about a month to get used to its new routine

Dan't panic, just keep going!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Try to find a thread ... I think it's in Maintainers ... where Anne did an study over time of weighing herself many many times a day. I think she had fluctuations of up to 7 lbs in one day. It's really interesting.

I'll also try to find it and post the link here.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #6  

KYKAREE - How in the world did you get through a 3-month plateau? I would be going crazy.....I have not done my measurements in years, so maybe I can try that.

MORTICIA - It's actually been about 9 days since my TOM ended, so I don't think that is having an effect, but I did wonder about it last night. The latte was definitely more calories than I thought, once I looked it up. I need to find a good alternative to them, they are like crack for me!

LLV - I do keep an eye on my calories and I normally hover somewhere around 1000 a day. I have been surprisingly religious about keeping my food journal up to date and completed.

SUSANB - 7 lbs. in one day? That really takes some of the edge off my frustration if I see that this has happened to others only to lead to good results later.

It was just a complete spur of the moment thing that I got on the scale. I think I may need to have my BF hide it from me for a while and do what I intended to do in the first place - let my clothes do the talking about how I am doing.

Thank you for listening to me throw a tantrum so early in the morning, guys. I do feel a little better.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

here it is ..... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51927
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
LLV - I do keep an eye on my calories and I normally hover somewhere around 1000 a day. I have been surprisingly religious about keeping my food journal up to date and completed.
It's very possible, then, that you're not eating enough.

What does everyone else think?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree--you may not be eating enough. Reading around on here, you'll se tons of people say (and look it up online, too, if you don't believe us) that you should NOT go below 1200 calories a day unless under a doctor's supervision. If you're exercising also, then you're burning even more and may want to take in more.

Also, I'm guessing you hopped on the scale at a random time during the day. DON'T DO THAT! Weigh yourself under the SAME conditions on the SAME scale every time or there will be fluctutaions. I like to weigh in the morning when I get up, before breakfast, after I pee, before my shower

A latte will not make you gain 6 pounds. Neither will the sodium a single Lean Cuisine. However, you must realize that there's also NO WAY it's 6 pounds of fat--in order for that to happen, you'd have to have eaten 21,000 calories MORE than you've burned in the past few days, and that's close to impossible

Are you drinkning enough (minimum 64 oz) water each day? I suggest you increase your calories to a more normal range. Most people can lose even on about 1500 calories a day (I actually lose if I stay at or below 2000), but it's different for everyone. Play with the numbers and see what works for you. You can't exepct instant success in week 1--it's often a trial-and-error process (unfortunately!)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #10  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Girl - yesterday I weighed 180 on my scale and today I weighed 175 - tomorrow - who knows??? My weight fluctuates a lot and I don't even change my ticker until I see a consistent drop for a week or so and then I have to average it out! Also, I go by my weight first thing in the morning, not afternoon or evening. And yes, the sodium can make a huge difference! Also, I don't know about you, but I gain up to about 8 pounds every month during my PMS week, which promptly goes away afterwards, so as long as you are eating right and getting your exercise, don't sweat it!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 AM   #11  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Oh - I just read the part about the 1000 calories a day!! Yes, you need to eat more! I actually hit a plateau until recently when I added a few things back in to my diet.
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #12  

I'll be completely honest - it is entirely possible that I am not eating enough. I sit on my butt all day in front of a computer at a corporate job and 9 or 10 hours of that makes you
  • forget to eat throughout the day and
  • feel guilty about eating alot when you do think of it
... BUT, since I have begun to buy better foods (veggies, low cal/low fat stuff) and pay attention to serving sizes, I guess it shouldn't be such an issue, I just need to remember to prepare and bring stuff to work with me.

So far today, I have had 1 packet of Quaker lower sugar oatmeal (120 calories, 2g fat), a low fat cheese stick (80 calories, 6g fat) and half of my first 24oz bottle of water. I am about to go and make a whole wheat egg and cheese tortilla wrap and then I will wait a couple of hours for lunch.

I also bought some of those 100 calorie popcorn snacks last night, so I can always up my calories here at work that way too, in between meals....
Old 01-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
So far today, I have had 1 packet of Quaker lower sugar oatmeal (120 calories, 2g fat), a low fat cheese stick (80 calories, 6g fat) and half of my first 24oz bottle of water. I am about to go and make a whole wheat egg and cheese tortilla wrap and then I will wait a couple of hours for lunch. I also bought some of those 100 calorie popcorn snacks last night,
Eat more and add more vegetables/fruit.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:08 AM   #14  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Was reading this thread this morning and got it in my mind. I had been on plan for a while before the holidays, and for about 1.5 weeks kind of "went off." Not entirely, but just a day or two here and there(and I'm usually so good about counting even my bad days). Anyways, after one week back on plan I seemed to be back to my normal weight(I didn't weight during the bad times, so don't know if I actually went up or not). Then after 2 weeks of on plan, I gained 2 lbs! I don't worry so much about slight fluctuations when I'm on plan, so I didn't allow this to upset me. Then just tonight, I lost 4 from where I was (so really down 2). I'm not trusting any of these readings, all were in the evenings and I expected tonight's to be high due to bad food choices (okay in calories, but high in fat/sodium). Definitely taking a hint from what others have said and am going to start tracking a little more and doing some averaging.

I'd also like to add, it's hard for me to eat fruit a lot during the day, but I do love my veggies and though I don't always do this I think it's wise to eat protein at every meal. I'm lactose intolerant, so protein-snacks (that aren't meat when you don't want meat) are a bit difficult, but I still make the effort that each and every food item I eat I pay attention to its protein content and I think that has helped in keeping away hunger, keeping me on plan, and making me feel better even if the scale isn't showing it.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote