Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-04-2005, 09:11 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Getting bored with the weight!

Well actually the wait! I actually typed weight by mistake!

Ok, so I'm doing all my stuff, eating right, going kickboxing, running and doing my weight training too. It ain't hard. I could do this every day. It fits in fine with my lifestyle, I don't find it too difficult to get out running because I'm finding it a bit like a new hobby!

The problem is, I'm doing all this stuff and it just seems so boring, cos all I'm doing is waiting for the weight to go! I weigh in every month because I'm weight training and the lbs loss is sometimes slow. I'm just finding that there's nothing to get excited about at the moment! Next weigh in is next week on Friday. Does anyone else feel like this? I'm near-ish to goal so I guess that's why I'm slowing down a bit. Some days I just want to throw a cos I want to see good skinny results NOW!

How can I get excited about this again? I need some WHOOOOOOHOOOOOO! back in my plan!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #2  

Looks like it's just the right time to set some physical goals!

Sign up for a 5k, or an 8k or a 10k...and direct your running toward that goal. Set some lifting goals...how about 100 pound deadlifts? Equivalent-of-body-weight leg presses? 30 pound bicep curls? Pullups are fantastic to set goals with, as are pushups.

Or....get out of the weight/fitness arena entirely (always a good idea). Start writing the book you've always thought about writing, and set a goal of 1,000 words a day. Learn to do something (paint, mosaic, sculpt) that you've always wanted to do. Study a new language. Learn to ballroom dance. Remember, there's more to life than weight loss. If you focus JUST on weight loss, once the weight is gone there'll be no life!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #3  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

You're so right Mousie. I get so fixated on the losing weight it becomes my job, hobby, etc. That is prolly why I fail so often. Time to enrich my life with other things...

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #4  

I've gone through something similar a couple of times along the way. I found that it helped to relax and think of it as preparation for maintaining my weight once I reach my goal. I'm not going to have anything exciting to keep me going then either. And I figure if I don't learn how to handle it now I'll never be able to keep the weight off. I'm will to do whatever I have to in order to make sure I don't regain this weight. If that means learning to live with a little boredom - so be it.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:14 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

I did look at signing up for a 5k, however there's only 10Ks till about March! I guess no-one runs in the winter!

I'm also going on holiday to Japan in a week, so that's exciting! A non-weight orientated looking forward to...!

I also sneaked a peak at the scales this morning and they're looking happy! So all in all I feel a bit better about the whole boring thing! I quite like the idea of 100lb deads! It might just be do-able this week or two!

The next challenge is to not put any weight on in Japan! I think I should just eat seaweed all the time! It's very low in calories!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:14 AM   #6  
Pending Email Confirmation

Yeah that is the only problem when things slow down I get so bored...
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Have fun in Japan! You'll probably be walking a lot! And actually, there's a lot of food in Japan that's very good for you -- all that fish!

Where will you be going? I lived just outside of Kyoto last year and you are going at a GREAT time of year!! The trees are just beautiful -- so hopefully you'll have a chance to get away from big cities and see them. But be warned -- you'll be surrounded by tons of Japanese tourists looking at them too!

PM me if you want any Japan info!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

Cool! We are going to Tokyo and then to a little place out in the sticks that I can't remember the name of! A friend of DF's is teaching English out there.

I'm a bit fussy with my food, but I'd like to try some Japanese fayre - I don't really feel up to trying sushi!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #9  

Sushi means vinegared rice, so on that score there is lots of sushi that doesn't contain fish. Practice at a sushi bar before you go!!! Edamame (steamed soy beans in pods, you squuze the bean directly into your mouth and discard the pod) are delicious, low fat and really healthy! Just stay away from the tempura and the tonkatsu pork! Oh and shabu shabu, sukiyaki and teriyaki dishes are all good and no yucky bits that frussies might not like!!!! I wish I was coming!!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

Damn kyk, I had tempura and tonkatsu pork down as about the only things I would like! I am going to be adventurous! I am going to try lovley things! I promise I will come back with a love of sushi! But it's scary! But if there's nothing else and it's healthy then sushi here I come!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

kyk is right -- try the sushi with the piece of egg on it, for example. no fish there!

curry rice (pronounced just about the same way in Japanese) might be good too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #12  
Pending Email Confirmation

I would love to go to Japan!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #13  

I think that one of the hardest thing about dieting is that it is such a slow process. We have to change our lives, change the way we eat, change the way we exercise (for me, that meant starting). It takes alot of effort, every single day. And the results do take a long time to see. Losing a pound here, half a pound there, maybe two pounds once in a while, can really start to seem like no big deal.

I don't know an easy way around this. When I start to think that the whole thing is just a bother, I remind myself that I am doing this for many, many good reasons, and not a single one of them involves me being entertained along the way. If I feel like throwing in the towel, I ask myself "Do I really want to go back to the way I was before?" The answer is always an emphatic "****, no!"

I think that at some point, it is best if excitement settles into routine. You do what you do become/stay healthy because it is how you are used to doing things now, not because you're excited to be on a diet.

JMHO, of course.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #14  

Japanese food--there are lots of wonderful soups with buckwheat (soba) noodles and lots of vegetables mixed in. Also a marinated seaweed salad that I love. Teriyaki sauce is definitely high calorie.

Have a great time!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

Tealeaf - I see your point! I keep finding new little things to get excited about so that keeps me going! I think I was having a week empty of excitement!

For example, mini success of the day. I went on a long road trip and I bought sugar free lemonade, carrot sticks and apples to munch on in the car. I also bought chocolate raisins for the guy who I was going with. I munched about 40 raisins over the course of the day, which is great - it means there's still some left and I definitely ate less than my friend! We also stopped off at a service station and I had to settle for fast food, so I had a (fried ) chicken burger, with no mayo and no chips or anything. Now THAT's progress! I used to chow down a BK chicken supreme battered chicken sandwich with chips AND onion rings AND coke! And what's more my chicken burger filled me up till dinner (which is rare since I only eat small meals) and I carried on with my healthy eating and I don't feel to have cut back on the rest of the day because of it! I also entered all my munchies for the day into fitday and it's only a couple of hundred calories over what I'd call a good day, but still under 2000cals so that's fine by me!