Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-04-2005, 05:27 PM   #1  

Default Active parent with child wanting to be involved.

Hi.. Im new to the "support" area. I didnt even know if I put this in the right spot or not.. but here goes I have a concern thats been bothering me. My child has attention defiect hyperactive disorder. Shes 11 and weighs roughly 65 pounds but is very active.. My daughter wants to walk with me alot and it worries me because of her weight. She eats all day and late into the night time and still have problems keeping weight on her. So normally it lays in the back of my mind.. this could be doing more damage then good..
I walk a good distance about 5 miles a day in laps. That is whats scary she can keep up with me and she still has that energy afterwards. Ive asked her to set out two and then rejoin for two. She doesnt like that idea. I just dont know what to do. I didnt know if any of you mothers out there that could be experienceing the same problem??
Jewelz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #2  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi. I can't say for sure what to do given your daughters background, but what does your Doctor say? Is she taking any type of medication? She must have a very fast metabolism if she eats so much and only weighs 65 lbs for an 11yo. My thoughts would be if there is a chance you could do your walking while she is doing homework or better yet....while she is at school? Good luck.
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:06 PM   #3  

Yes, the first thing that came to my mind was, "ask her doctor." What does he think of her weight and metabolism?
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

ALWAYS check with your dr. first! If there is no physical problem maybe she is just one of those lucky people who have a high matabilism! Some day you and she will be glad for it!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Other things to consider are, does she eat "more" on the days she does walk? If she's doing that, she's consuming the extra calories to make up for those she burns. Plus, walking can tend to build some muscle and may even make her seem better proportioned and not so thin. Like someone said, as long as the doctor doesn't see a problem with it, I'd let her try it. Perhaps it will even help to calm her a bit by using some of that energy productively.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #6  

She is on medicine (concerta 38mgs) yes. I wasnt going to put her on it but her grades showed a drastic change for the good (f's to a's). After about a year she got her appetite back full throddle (side effect which her doctor told me it would eventually go away and it did). I see her doctor tommorrow so Im gonna bring that up to her.
Normally, I do most of my walking while shes in school. BUT! I split my laps up so it aint so hard on me. So by evening time its 30 minutes. There has been times when I just dont have any time on my hands but evenings. So its just kinda mixed up there. There is also weekends like this passed weekend was alittle longer due to labor day. She was up and ready to walk.

I would assume shes got a very high metabolism with all the energy she has and eats like a horse. She eats more then me and my husband eats..

Her doctor was worried about her weight at the end of school year last year. Over the summer she was packing it on (roughly 14 pounds) but then slimming down from walking with me. This was where she was walking every lap. They never measured her height but it did look like she grew about 2 inches over the summer. Shes in a size 8 pants for 11 years old. As you can see shes behind.
Thank you all for posting with suggestions and comments. Ill try to post back to let you guys know..
Old 09-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #7  

Ok, she said it was fine. Yah!
She charted my daughter for her height and weighed finally. She was alittle below average. Took a load off of me. Her doctor is going to check her thyroid just to make sure its not working overtime. I will have to keep an eye on her intake and thats it. She said she felt it would be healthy for her and give her more mass.. (almostheaven I mentioned what you said)..
Just wanted to pop in and let you all know thanks again!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #8  

That's good news, glad she's OK and you two can exercise together.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #9  

Jewelz,

Hi again. I had no idea you were dealing with this! First I have to say check with the doc... like everyone else said.....

HOWEVER.....

You said ADHD... my son was diagnosed with this like 8 or 9 years ago. I allowed the medicine at first. But then when they were going to put him on a pill that was addictive I said FORGET IT. I took ALL Of the regular sugars out of my house... cereal, sugar, candy, cookies, you name it! He has NOT been on ANY meds since! And he does have sugar now... from time to time. You just can't get around it with some foods sometimes.

Now... I am NOT by no means saying take her off of her meds. Every situation is different. But what I am thinking.. is what is her sugar intake in a day? Really look at it.... cereals (they are killer!) and all other foods. Changing the sugar intake can lesson the hyper part of ADHD.

My problem now is getting my child to watch what she eats and how much. Obesity and diabeties run in my hubbies side of the family and my daughter is 10 (almost 11) years old and around 100 pounds! It scares me! I don't want her to suffer from obesity and/or diabeties! So I am trying to get her to be more active, eat less, and eat better choices. So.... I am not sure how to help with the weight issues your dealing with. However, maybe what I said above might help with that too.

Just thought I would help if I could.
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #10  

Thanks, Tracy! Yes, each child is different. I try to stick with wheat puffs (plain), oatmeal, eggs, ect. If for some reason its blane cereal (which I perfer) I will add stevia to it for her. Shes not picky what she eats at all. Which really suprises me cause my other daughter is alittle over weight (from what her doctor said) and extremely picky.. My husband and I encourages my youngest to try to walk with me. (she just turned 8 in june and weighs 70lbs) Now I can breath alittle easier to know both of them can. My mom suggested the stevia its supposed to be good for kids to cut back on there sugar intake. Diabets runs on my dads side but its weird its either high or low. There is a couple on my mothers side but they was diagnosed they got it through certain prescription drugs. I do "not" give my kids candy only if its sugar free. Thats it. They love to share my pop which is also find its sugar free anyways. They like the sweetness of fruits so I just try to use that to help fight sugar cravings.

Im just happy to know you know what its like. Sugar is like fuel to the fire. I picked that up immediatly. My daughter was diagnosed since she was four. We have had a bad time getting one that doesnt have any side effects for her.. this one is about the best one so far.
I dont know if concerta is considered addictive.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #11  

That would be something to ask the doc. Not sure on it. Maybe www.webmd.com or something would no? Not sure on that either though.

The only thing I can say (cat has my tongue and fingers are broke lol) is listen to the doc. I am at a loss of words for the first time in a long time lol. But at least your doing everything the good and heatlhy way!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #12  

lol your so funny. Her father (my hubby adopted her) had severe adhd as well. I learned this about 2 years ago. My brother had it too, and I could swear he still has it at 38! lol
Old 09-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #13  

It is possible lol. My friend (and his wife) swears he has it and he is 44 lol. Age don't matter I guess haha.