Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #1  
Green Tea Goddess

Talking My new exercise partner was right under my nose!

I know how great of an exercise walking is but it is my least favorite thing in the world to do. All day today I was thinking about how beautiful of a day it was, so I should use it to my advantage and take a nice walk but I couldn't seem to find the energy to do it. A little while ago, I took a look at my dog, a Pug, who is a little on the chubby side and gets easily winded by exercise. I thought to myself, I couldn't ask for a better walking partner! We both need the exercise and we're both at the same fitness level, in fact, she usually lazily lounges on the bed and watches me do my weights and cardio. So Julie (my Pug) and I went for our first walk together today and I must say it was exactly what I (and she) needed. We are both very out of shape, so we didn't walk far but it was a great bonding experience. I'm so thrilled to have found an exercise partner right in my own home! Does anyone else involve their pets in their workouts?
Venus In Mourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:42 AM   #2  

Default great motivation. your dog won't let you forget to walk

I was walking my sons dog 1-3 times a day. I have mapped out a 1 mile and 2 mile loop in the neighborhood. She loved it and would remind me when to walk. I had to be careful when she saw me putting on tennis shoes because she thought we were going walking. Annie is about a 50 pound dog. One time walking another dog charged at us and I hit the pavement. That was April 1 and I am still having trouble with my knee. Anyway, Son and his dog have moved out. Now I don't walk enough.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #3  
Green Tea Goddess

That makes me sad. I hope you can get some help for your knee and it's 100% soon. Knee injuries are the worst. I hurt mine once and it was sore for almost a year.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I read a quote once that makes me smile.

"If your dog is overweight, you're not getting enough exercise."
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #5  

I made a promise to my dog (I know, I know!!) to walk her everyday this month for at least 30 minutes. She's an active little mutt and she doesn't get out enough b/c I work 10+ hours a day. I swear there are days where I get home from work and don't want to do anything but veg out, but I see her sad little face and b4 I know it she's got her leash on. It's a good thing I made this promise b/c lately it's the only type of exercise I've been doing!
fozziewaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #6  

I take my dog for long hikes. Lately, as I have gotten in better shape he struggles to keep up with me, this shows me how much I have improved!

He is faster than I will ever be!
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM   #7  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I take my dog out walking at least 4 or 5 times a week. She's half dalmation/ half akita so she can run for miles. She begs for it, so even though I get a lot of other exercise during the day, I always try to fit in a couple miles with her. I feel so guilty if she goes a day without a walk.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #8  
Green Tea Goddess

Great! I think this is really going to work for me and my dog. It's great to hear about all your walking routines with your dogs. I swear if it weren't for her, there is NO way I'd find the inspiration to walk her every day.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:00 PM   #9  

My little mix border collie and I walked for over an hour today. She actually slowed down and wanted to take a break!
JLoubug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #10  
Green Tea Goddess

My Pug and I get winded around the same time. Hopefully soon we'll BOTH be able to finish the walk.