Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-18-2005, 02:25 AM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Is There Something Wrong With Me!?

Ok I can go pretty much all day and eat fine and not be hungry but as soon as supper and night comes i cant stop thinking about food even though im not know physcially hungry!!! today i had 2 peices of whole wheat toast with PB for breakfast and a mixed fruit nutrigrain bar (woke up at 1pm by the way), and i was fine until supper, we had spagetti (whole wheat noodles, chicken meat balls) and after supper i was still hungry so I had two banana baby cookies, i was still "hungry" but i tried my best to resist, I later had a few pizza flavoured lays stax, then come white cheddar flavour popcorn (not stuff u pop in the microwave but stuff u buy in a bag like chips) and then I had a caramilk bar, and half of a max 5 and I just had 2 handfuls of regular chips with melted cheese, and a bun with a melted cheese slice on it....i know im not hungry but i just cant stop thinking about food...why is this, and why does this happen to me at night!?! it is really discouraging...
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:15 AM   #2  

I used to feel the same way, but I started to introduce oatmeal and it really keeps you feeling full. I add some dried raisens , and stick to the serving size, 1/2 cup old fashion oats 1 cup milk, non fat, low fat and 1 cup or so of water....

I have it for lunch as well sometimes..

Sugar Free Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:18 AM   #3  

Night time can be a real shocker for me as well.. I would suggest having a small portion of lean protein to help with feeling satisfied and ger over that craving... I have found that since adding a lean protein into every meal that I feel far more satidfied and think less about eating. Perhaps also a protein shake at those times would be a good idea.. get a nice flavoured one and then pop it into a lovely glass and sip it slowly until the cravings pass.

Good luck
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 AM   #4  

Oh, yes I was thinking about adding one protein of something at breakfast too, but an egg a day seems to much???
Sugar Free Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:28 AM   #5  

I have two eggs for breakfast each morning.. I am new to losing weight I have to admit... but it stops me from feeling hungry... I typically have a fry up of vegies with it.
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:41 AM   #6  

i don't normally get cravings at night and when I do, I am pretty good about just ignoring it and going to bed- unless my stomach is growling. There are a few reasons why it may be happening. You may not be eating enough during the day, you may be depriving yourself of nutrients by eating the same thing all the time, or you may be depriving yourself of things you actually *like* to eat and only eating things you don't particularly care for. It's also possible that your cravings have absolutely nothing to do with food or hunger at all. The best thing you could do is keep a "snacking journal" and whenever you get the urge to eat at night, write down what you are feeling physically and emotionally. Once you know where the problem actually lies, it will be much easier to address it.

Oh and I eat eggs in the morning often too, but only the whites usually. If I don't have eggs, I have peanut butter- something with protein.

Last edited by HamSandwich; 08-18-2005 at 03:43 AM.
HamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:06 AM   #7  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Also seems like you are not eating enough.

I work midnights so my normal breakfast time is about 1:30 or even later.
Heres a example of one of my days meals.

I will start out with a few slices of turkey meat mixed with some egg beaters and a little Louisana sauce and cook that up with either a glass of water or a small glass of OJ.

Then 3:30 or so I have a very small handful of almonds just to get me thru till my husband comes home from work

And at around 5:30 or 6:00 we have my lunch and his dinner, which can be Wheat Spagetti with Extra Lean Turkey Meat and Heathy Choice Spagetti sauce..

And before I leave for @ 8:45 I will have a small protein shake or a small snack of some sort.

Then at 12:00 I have my dinner which can be left overs or a lean cusine meal with some sort of fruit

then at 3:30 or 4:00 I have another small snack maybe some raisins or some pretzels.

I try to eat every three hours if possible drinking pletny of water thru out the day.

If your not eating enough that could be why you have your cravings late before you are to go to bed.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #8  

Height: 5'1"

I agree, it sounds likel you're not eating enough. I worked midnight for 7 years and I know it upsets your whole system and times to eat. You definateally need more protein. If you're home in the evening and you'e eating, remember it takes 30 minutes for the body to signal the brain that it's full. So have something to eat and go brush your teeth. I usually have a graham cracker with peanut butter and half a glass of milk. It fills you up because you have protein and some fat in there too. Fat empties slower and keeps you full longer. But, it's the good healthy fat. I found a new peanut butter at a little store up here It's "whipped" Peter Pan. It only has 140 calories per 2 Tabspoons. I usually just use one tab. It's hard to find but worth the search for me.

I watched Oprah once and she said she did the same thing, roamed the house wanting food at night. Then her trainer told her that it was her body burning fat and wanting to replace it! So tell Your body to "burn that fat, baby".

You can do this, ya know. You're stromger than those cravings!!! You are woman!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:31 PM   #9  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the great advice everyone!
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Here is a list of everything you ate:

1. 2 peices of whole wheat toast with PB for breakfast
2. a mixed fruit nutrigrain bar
3. we had spagetti (whole wheat noodles, chicken meat balls)
4. two banana baby cookies
5. later had a few pizza flavoured lays stax,
6. white cheddar flavour popcorn
7. I had a caramilk bar,
8. and half of a max 5
9. I just had 2 handfuls of regular chips with melted cheese
10. a bun with a melted cheese slice on it

Ok, now I will be BLUNT and to the POINT.... WHERE is the nutritional value in all the food you have eaten all day ?? I'd be ravenously hungry too if I ate so much processed food and I'd be thinking of food all the time!! IF you REALLY want to lose weight you have to start incorporating a few FRUITS, lots of VEGETABLES, lean PROTEINS into you meal plan... you just MUST change your eating habits and thinking...

Ok, let's revamp your ''menu'' here a bit or a LOT ...

1. 2 peices of whole wheat toast with PB for breakfast -- this is good not excellent though, think more along the lines of oatmeal, something with very high fiber and very little or no sugar AllBran or something like that
2. a mixed fruit nutrigrain bar -- How about a real fruit an apple, a banana... You could also add an egg with some eggwhites in an omelette for some protein that will keep you fuller longer...
3. we had spagetti (whole wheat noodles, chicken meat balls) -- Have only a half cup of spaghetti, and whole wheat noodles is excellent the chicken meat balls were they in a tomato based sauce? If so this is much better for you than a cream sauce. Where is your salad?? Eat a GINORMOUS salad before the main meal this will fill you up and keep you full specially if you eat only half a cup of pasta ...
4. two banana baby cookies -- have a fruit if you are still hungry, but I can almost guarantee that if you ate the large salad and the pasta and chicken you wouldn't be hungry right after eating

5. later had a few pizza flavoured lays stax,
6. white cheddar flavour popcorn
7. I had a caramilk bar,
8. and half of a max 5
9. I just had 2 handfuls of regular chips with melted cheese
10. a bun with a melted cheese slice on it
-- #5 through #10 replace that with a cup of cottage cheese and berries (strawberries, blueberries, whatever you like) after this snack ... GET the HECK out of the KITCHEN and lock it out of your mind for the rest of the evening ... DO NOT GO BACK....
Eat more regularly, every 3-4 hours this will definitely keep the cravings at bay and have a protein at every meal and snack if you can...

Ok, sorry for the long post I WILL get off the now...

Come back if you need more help...TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 155/143/128

Height: 5'9"

Well this works for me (i know it sounds kind of crazy) but whenever i feel the urge to snack on chips or other junk food late at night i will open the bag, take out a chip, chumble it and throw it away and say (in my head if there are other people around, out loud if i'm alone) "I don't want this. I want an apple and that is all I am going to have!" and then i take my apple and leave the kitchen and don't return until I get my sanity back.
dietcokeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokeaddict
Well this works for me (i know it sounds kind of crazy) but whenever i feel the urge to snack on chips or other junk food late at night i will open the bag, take out a chip, chumble it and throw it away and say (in my head if there are other people around, out loud if i'm alone) "I don't want this. I want an apple and that is all I am going to have!" and then i take my apple and leave the kitchen and don't return until I get my sanity back.
I do something similar... I open the bag, inhale, take a huge wiff of it, sometimes a couple... close the bag have my snack usually CC and strawberries, I sometimes add some coco powder to my snack if I crave chocolate, coco powder has very little calories...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #13  

I also have late night cravings that drive me crazy!!! Since my weight loss journey began I have taken up knitting and oil painting. I find doing something with my hands that makes me think of nothing in particular, keeps my mind off eating late at night. I am a boredom eater and will chow down anything in the house if I don't have anything to do. The good news? I have made some fantastic paintings and scarves and my family loves the gifts. :0)

For snacks after dinner (I try to stop eating before 8pm) that work for me are apples, fat free/ sugar free yogurt or 10 almonds.

Good luck and don't give up.

Last edited by ShellMack; 08-18-2005 at 06:32 PM.
ShellMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Ilene 100%. If I eat a lot of heavily processed carbohydrates (not healthful carbs like fruits and veggies) such as chips, cookies, crackers, and the like-I eat all day LONG-and I can't stop.
When you are hungry-you have to add some REAL food in there. The chips and cakes and chocolatey things are going to have you wanting more food in 30 minutes.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote