Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #1  

Default How am I gonna do this now??

I started Monday...made a commitment to myself to drop this weight once and for all...went out for a walk last night and got half way round the block, stepped up onto an uneven sidewalk and BROKE MY ANKLE!!! I just can't believe it, I haven't broken a bone in 25 years!
So how am I going to get any exercise in for the next 6 weeks? I am so bummed ....thanks for letting me vent. Any suggestions?
Cindy
LouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:59 PM   #2  
LMG

There are lots of exercises you can do sitting down and still strengthen muscles and keep the heart pumping. Heck, even walking on crutches burns calories! Use handweights while sitting in front of the computer. Just keep moving as many bodyparts as possible, as much as possible. Good luck!!
LMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I feel your pain. I put a lot of my weight on when I had a broken ankle a couple of years ago. But you're not going to do that, are you? Think of all those muscles in your arms you'll be building when you use crutches for a start. You might not be able to do intense cardio, but you can certainly do some stuff with weights, and you can get your eating right.

Just because you're stuck on the sofa more than normal doesn't mean you have to keep yourself company with chocolate

Anyway, I hope you make a full recovery. I'm amazed at how strong my ankle is now, and even though it's still swollen, there isn't anything I can't do on it.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #4  

pilates maybe? When my fiance broke his leg he still did upper body work outs and ab work, so you never know!

Sorry about such an unfortunate turn of events

Good luck!
Ahealthierme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 PM   #5  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Check with the doc if you can swim - with the cast on. And swim and/or do water aerobics - it's a great workout, and no pressure on any joints or body parts.
And yes, crutches - heck, now that's a workout!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 AM   #6  
No more tears!

well i am in a wheelchair cuz i have cp and i tell you do some exercises with your arms and legs. there isn't a limit on wat u can do just be created.
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you have not ever heard of her and like strength training, go to Margaret Richard's Body Electric website at www.bodyelectric.net and she has a video called "Getting Better". It is a strength training video that she made when she broke her ankle or lower leg or something-and it is a full body strength training routine working around that injury!!!!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #8  

Just wanted to say THANKS!! for all your support and some great ideas!
I'll be fine I know, was just abit discouraged Tuesday....just a day after recommiting myself to this journey. Anyway, I'm pressing on!
Thanks again!
Cheers!
Cindy
LouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

What exactly is your injury? Depending on what is fractured, you will have a ton of exercise options.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I think everyone has made some great suggestions. I just wanted to say that I have seen it mentioned here that weight loss is 80% what you eat. If you did some weights and tried to build some muscle while you are healing, that will help a lot too. You may drop some weight just by watching what you eat, so any little bit of extra exercise will help and when you can get back into a more intense exercise routine, it may be a little easier because you've got some time now to get new eating habits going before getting into new exercise habits as well.

I hope you heal quickly.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote