Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #1  
sugar is the devil

Default Work 12 Hour Night Shifts - How Do I Help My Metabolism?

So I work 12 hour shifts; some days, some nights. The thing that I am concerned about is that on my night shifts, I worry about my metabolism.

So the first night shift I do, isn't so bad. Since I can eat my regular meals throughout the day. What's the problem is if I do 2, 3, or 4 night shifts in a row. So after my first night shift; I get home at 7, fall asleep around 8, and wake up at 12 or 1. SOOO I pretty much missed breakfast, missed a snack, and barely missed lunch. So, that leaves me snacking the rest of the day, having really late meals, and I find myself eating at midnight during the night shift! This CAN'T be good for my metabolism these days. After I've done my nights, I go back to "regular" eating.

I thought about when I get home at 7, to eat breakfast and then sleep for a few hours. But then I thought, well sleeping slows down metabolism so my breakfast would just sit there and do nothing!

What do you people suggest? I need ideas to fix this so I can get out of my god-darn plateau.

Thanks!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239/239/180

Height: 5'4"

Hi sweetscrumptious. I used to work 12 hr shifts, two days, then two nights. I found it easier to eat well, while working those shifts then it was to work a normal day. I had breaks every 2 hours. My best advise to you is to make lots of snacks. The more small meals you consume, the faster your motabalism will work. Also you will be less hungry and therfore there will be less chance of over eating. Eating every 2 hours is best, so 3 snacks and 2 small meals (if you break every 2 hrs) So I covered what to do while you're at work.

When you get home from work on say your last night, so your 1st day off. Try to sleep until 11am, make yourself get up then eat breakfast then. When I did those shifts, I used to sleep all my first day off, and this would really mess up my eating. So even if you're tired, make yourself get up. I don't advise sleeping on a full stomach.

hope I was helpful.

lindsay
LINZLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #3  
sugar is the devil

That's some good ideas.

On my day shifts, I do get breaks every 2 hrs. So I already have my day shifts down packed.

What I'm sorta concerned about on nights that technically, you're not suppose to each after 8 or 9 or whatever. So that's only 2 hrs in my shift I can eat! So if I wake up at 12, eat every 2 hrs, than I have 4 times to eat (ending at 8).

HMMM?
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #4  

why cant you eat after 6 or 9pm, thats ridiculous, people who work night shift would rarely get to eat over 1 meal a day if that
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScrumptious View Post
What I'm sorta concerned about on nights that technically, you're not suppose to each after 8 or 9 or whatever.
Although I'd argue that this is just something made up in general, it certainly does not apply to shift workers!

Here is an example of my 12 hour overnight meals:

Breakfast (noon)
1/2 cup dry cooked oatmeal, 1tbsp bee pollen, 1tbsp flax, 1/4 cup fruit, 6 egg whites (c+p)
500 mL water
or:
Elite High-Protein Cereal, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/4 cup fruit, 500 mL water

Snack (2-3pm)
1 scoop protein powder (p)
1 tsp coconut oil (f)
1 cup skim milk (c)

Lunch (7pm)
Mixed greens with cucumber, tomato, carrot, peppers, can of tuna, 1tbsp oil & balsamic (c+p+f)
1 Apple (c)
1oz almonds (f + p)
1 cup green tea and 500mL water

Snack (10-11pm)
1 Chicken breast (p)
1/2 cup raw veggies (c)
1 tbsp peanut butter (f)
500 mL water

Dinner (2am)
4-6 oz lean protein
1 cup veggies
1/3 cup brown rice