Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default motivation for the last 20 lbs

I've been having some motivation issues lately and I was wondering if any of you have had the same thing. A couple weeks ago, I hit my first big goal weight of 150. I still have 20 lbs to go to my ultimate goal. I haven't been under 150 since high school, about six years ago.

Since hitting 150, I feel like I've been eating like a pig. At least, on the weekends for sure, but I have been snacking a lot more during the week. I'm still working out right on schedule, but for some reason I'm having trouble staying motivated to eat right. I'm not eating enough to gain, but i'm afraid that I'll just be stuck at 150 forever if I don't cut my calories a little more! I guess I feel like I'm eating to maintain, even though I still need to lose. Something in me says "Hey, you got to 150, that's good enough, you knew you would never make it any lower anyway, so eat up!"

Has anyone else had this problem when they get to the home stretch? I'd appreciate any advice you might have!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you are exercising a lot, you may find that your metabolism is a little more stoked...and you may actually be hungrier. On days that my workouts are a little more intense-the next day I am STARVING.

What you also may do is keep watching your calories, but up them "slightly" to give in a little to your munchies, but still keep you in weight loss mode. It may be a little slower, but you might be happier. (If you are eating 1500 calories a day...maybe eat 1650 for instance.)

Another coping mechanism you might want to do is eat at a maintenance level (1800-2000) one day, and then a lower level (1500) the next day...off and on. You will lose, but it will be slower. It may be the "in-between" stage you need right now-losing slower is better than binging and gaining.

Another coping mechanism is to eat foods that have a lot of volume for the calories and take a while to chew. Apple slices and baby carrots come to mind here...because you really have to chew them and they are very low calorie.

I know what you mean though. Some weeks I am like this as well-I go in the same spurts. I always exercise religiously, but there are weeks where I just want to eat a little more-and I end up averaging 1800-2000 calories here and there-maintaining my current weight.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the advice, Aphil! It definitely helps to know that other people have felt the same thing!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #4  

I'm down to my last 20 pounds too. For me, though, these last pounds ARE my motivation. So, I can't say that I know exactly how you feel. But, I have found myself more in maintenance mode. I'm still working hard to lose weight but I've made a conscious effort to slow down the scale. I suppose it is a sort of dress rehersal for when I do reach my goal. It isn't so much that I've lost any mental momentum but now that my goal is within reach the time it takes me to get there is less important than slowly adjusting to life after weight loss.

I know that there aren't going to be any technical differences. My eating plan and exercise will still be vital to my success. However, I've come a long way and I need to make sure that my brain and eyes catch up with my body so to speak. I think now is the time to make those adjustments. If I wait until I reach my goal I fear I may panic (I'm skinny! I can eat anything I want!) and end up right back where I started.

Aphil is right. If you are exercising more intensely your body may very well NEED the fuel of the extra calories. But, from your description, it sounds as though your mind is behind the additional snacking. If that is the case, I would suggest that you continue to eat to maintain, take a little time to refocus, and make a fresh start to shed those last 20 pounds as soon as you feel in control again.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote